Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: iKoria Spoilers: Godzilla is a creature type now

Re: iKoria Spoilers: Godzilla is a creature type now

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    At no other opportunity cost other than using a SB slot, there's effectively zero downside in using it, especially game 1.

So if you can give Jegantha vigilance, it can swing and then go infinite attack phases with Najeela? Are there any reasonable cards that give vigilance and don't suck? Batterskull is too expensive to get fancy.

Edit: Nevermind, Maze of Ith doesn't untap itself, I'm stupid.
    The Ikoria Lord Companion gives it vigilance because it is an elemental. You'll just have to mainboard it.

I has sad, before the update B&R announcement, Lurrus was approx $7-8, now it's about $24. I hope the card gets banned out of spite now.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...t-2015-12-07-0

Somehow this was written in 2015 . . .

"Anyway, there was a lot of pressure on Maro to deliver an exciting design, so he decided to push the boundaries. He made a new mechanic that allowed you to choose to start with the card in your opening hand. . . . Early the next morning, Maro awoke to see a message written in lipstick on the mirror, reversed so he could easily read it. It read: 'DECK VARIANCE IS THE LIFEBLOOD OF THE GAME AND UNDERCUTTING IT WITH THIS MECHANIC HAS LED TO THE MOST UNFUN PLAYTEST GAMES WE HAVE EVER PLAYED. IF THIS IS THE FUTURE OF MAGIC DESIGN, WE WANT NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.' The interns were gone and haven't ever been seen since. Maro took the new mechanic out of the file and never talked about it again."

And then five years later here we are . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    I can't imagine what would have changed their minds.

Meanwhile at Hasbro HQ:
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

"Anyway, there was a lot of pressure on Maro to deliver an exciting design, so he decided to push the boundaries. He made a new mechanic that allowed you to choose to start with the card in your opening hand. . . . Early the next morning, Maro awoke to see a message written in lipstick on the mirror, reversed so he could easily read it. It read: 'DECK VARIANCE IS THE LIFEBLOOD OF THE GAME AND UNDERCUTTING IT WITH THIS MECHANIC HAS LED TO THE MOST UNFUN PLAYTEST GAMES WE HAVE EVER PLAYED. IF THIS IS THE FUTURE OF MAGIC DESIGN, WE WANT NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.' The interns were gone and haven't ever been seen since. Maro took the new mechanic out of the file and never talked about it again."

What happened to the playtest team? Results were promising with Dominaria - but then we got that whole WAR walker clusterfuck and it all went downhill from there.

Pizza boxes are now tier 2 messaging it seems. Guess lipstick on a mirror is the new top-tier messaging tool.

What happened to the playtest team? Results were promising with Dominaria - but then we got that whole WAR walker clusterfuck and it all went downhill from there.
    I even liked some of the stuff going on in Ixalan, like the introduction of the Dinosaur creature type was handled pretty well, despite the fact that it was an underpowered set. Now everything is on fire.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Mar 2007

It's kinda refreshing to see Seals played again due to Lurrus.

Also, wouldn't it be correct in most cases to run Lotus Petal in tandem with Lurrus to get it out faster? You WILL always have Lurrus and it's not like card disadvantage matters that much with it.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    From what we've seen of Companion so far, I'm guessing they're all competitively unplayable and intended solely for kitchen table players. Which I'm 100% fine with. The last thing MTG needs to repeat the Genn/Baku debacle from Hearthstone.

Mutate looks like the sets draft mechanic that is going to have a max of two-five cards playable in standard, if that.

Loooool
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    @Cire: Thanks those links work! I'm surprised that the affinity list has a sideboard lurrus but not The Ozolith

@Megadeus
    I was thinking of jamming Jegantha with Golos, Tireless Pilgrim in Turbo Eldrazi and Najeela, the Blade-blossom in Dragon Stompy or putting them both together alongside a singleton Cascading Cataracts.
    Really dumb combo I came up with:

Sisay + Jegantha
    Sisay is a 4/4 - tap Jegantha --> Deveri, untap Jegantha
    Sisay is a 6/6 - tap Jegantha --> Angrath, the Flame-Chained, use its -3 on Jegantha, untap Jegantha
    Sisay is a 7/7 - tap Jegantha --> Gideon, Martial Paragon. Use + ability, untap Jegantha (Sisay is a 8/8, Jegantha is a 6/6, Deveri is a 3/4)
    Sisay is a 8/8 - tap Jegantha --> Gideon, Martial Paragon, sac "old" Gideon. Use + ability, untap Jegantha (Sisay is a 9/9, Jegantha is a 7/7, Deveri is a 4/5)
    Sisay is a 9/9 - tap Jegantha --> Maelstrom Wanderer. Attack for 27

It’s not good but it is a “1” card combo for 8. Main issue is that you have to wait a turn after jegantha comes out due to lack of haste. If you do start running cards to give jegentha it becomes a 2 card 9 mana combo but one you can split over 2 or 3 turns.

I’m sure there’s even more effective ways to do this?

Mar 2007

Really dumb combo I came up with:

Sisay + Jegantha
    Sisay is a 4/4 - tap Jegantha --> Deveri, untap Jegantha
    Sisay is a 6/6 - tap Jegantha --> Angrath, the Flame-Chained, use its -3 on Jegantha, untap Jegantha
    Sisay is a 7/7 - tap Jegantha --> Gideon, Martial Paragon. Use + ability, untap Jegantha (Sisay is a 8/8, Jegantha is a 6/6, Deveri is a 3/4)
    Sisay is a 8/8 - tap Jegantha --> Gideon, Martial Paragon, sac "old" Gideon. Use + ability, untap Jegantha (Sisay is a 9/9, Jegantha is a 7/7, Deveri is a 4/5)
    Sisay is a 9/9 - tap Jegantha --> Maelstrom Wanderer. Attack for 27

It’s not good but it is a “1” card combo for 8. Main issue is that you have to wait a turn after jegantha comes out due to lack of haste. If you do start running cards to give jegentha it becomes a 2 card 9 mana combo but one you can split over 2 or 3 turns.

I’m sure there’s even more effective ways to do this?
    Seems overly complicated - and you don't want to draw those cards.

Intruder Alert seems more efficient at creating chains, but it adds another card to the combo. On the upside, it would also combo with Najeela, as the warrior tokens create untap triggers for Jegantha.

But that's probably too convoluted to be any good.

bruizar

Intruder Alert seems more efficient at creating chains, but it adds another card to the combo. On the upside, it would also combo with Najeela, as the warrior tokens create untap triggers for Jegantha.

I like it better with Najeela because you can just replace Goblin Rabblemaster and run a sideboard Jegantha. You don't have to jump through so many hoops. By the time you can cast Jegantha, Najeela will probably already be lethal, and the lifegain can matter for a deck with Ancient Tombs. If you have an empty board with only a Najeela and Jegantha, you will already hit for 10 life points and gain 10 life points. Every other warrior you have adds 2 extra warriors.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

It's definitely subpar - the best sequence I can get is:

Turn 1 - Land - Crossroads/Hysteria
    Turn 2 - Sol Land - Sisay, Weatherlight Captain
    Turn 3 - Land + Accel -> Combo off.

or

Turn 1 - Land - Worldy Tutor -> Sisay, Weatherlight Captain
    Turn 2 - Sol Land + Accel + Crossroads/Hysteria + Sisay, Weatherlight Captain
    Turn 3 - Land + Accel -> Combo off.

Leading you to have this absolute hilarious jank of a deck:

10 Land
    8 Sol Land
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Mox Amber
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

4 Worldly Tutor
    4 Crossroads
    4 Hysteria

5 [OPEN SLOTS]

4 Sisay, Weatherlight Captain
    2 Derevi, Empyrial Tactician

3 Gideon, Martial Paragon
    2 Angrath, the Flame-Chained
    2 Venser, the Sojourner (since you already have haste in this version you get venser instead and make your creatures unblockable)

-1 Companion Jegantha

Should be a fairly consistent turn 3 kill. ABSOLUTELY NO PROTECTION. But ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mar 2007

https://twitter.com/WhiteFacesmtg/st...63809654243328

Say about Lurrus what you want - it certainly brings forth creative deckbuilding.

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
    Loooool
    I was right about Mutate.

None of the good companions had been spoiled yet. It was all "copy spell otter" and "green-black cost reduction guy" at that point. I changed my tune after Lurrus showed up.

But good find, the quote does look terrible in retrospect without context.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

I was right about Mutate.

None of the good companions had been spoiled yet. It was all "copy spell otter" and "green-black cost reduction guy" at that point. I changed my tune after Lurrus showed up.

But good find, the quote does look terrible in retrospect without context.

What about gyruda?

Mar 2007

The last thing MTG needs to repeat the Genn/Baku debacle from Hearthstone.
    This statement was pretty accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
    What about gyruda?
    What about it? In eternal formats it costs 6 mana, which means it should win the game, but it often doesn't. In Standard the deck has already passed the "new hotness" stage and is solidly tier 2, because Mystic Dispute dumps all over it as does Essence Scatter, both of which are seeing play due to Companion. Maybe a new, better build gets discovered, and it jumps back up to prominence, maybe not.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

What about it? In eternal formats it costs 6 mana, which means it should win the game, but it often doesn't. In Standard the deck has already passed the "new hotness" stage and is solidly tier 2, because Mystic Dispute dumps all over it as does Essence Scatter, both of which are seeing play due to Companion. Maybe a new, better build gets discovered, and it jumps back up to prominence, maybe not.
    I like how you try to defend and rationalize your horrible card evaluation.

"can be countered" is not equal to "its a crappy card"

Gyaoo isn't really all that great tho, you're just looking at yet-another six Mana combo piece, of which there are myriad. The only difference is this one gets to be in your opener in exchange for playing no brainstorm, ponder, preordain, dark ritual, or thoughtseize.

Thread Information