Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: iKoria Spoilers: Godzilla is a creature type now

Re: iKoria Spoilers: Godzilla is a creature type now

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I think the issue is more that you have to get up to PW mana, cast this at sorc speed, and pass the turn (into an Oko). Doubt you can afford to have a deck with Breakthrough it can’t cast until ~turn 4. Probably better off hiding the effect in the manabase with Cephalid Colosseum.
    Seems about right. Getting it killed in response is the worst thing ever. Then again, resolving Breakthrough with her in the board must be so satisfying. Probably not in legacy though. She is fragile.

Why cast breakthrough when you can hymn your opponents with burning inquiry

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Why cast breakthrough when you can hymn your opponents with burning inquiry
    Depends on the contents of your previous hand. You also randomly lose 3 cards out of your hand, aka stuff that you might miss afterwards.

Mutate targets. Wont work with Mongoose. Grr.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Companion looks fraught with issues, for paper Magic anyway. It reminds me of Genn/Baku from Hearthstone. Those guys made Standard a shitstorm and I believe their devs went as far as to call them a mistake.

Part of me wants to say this is to encourage people to just play more online Magic so these kinds of cards "just work" and no player will be subject to a deckbuilding mistake. This is very difficult to easily enforce in meatspace. I don't like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Mar 2007

Lavabrink Adventurer - 2W
    Creature - Human Soldier
    As ~ enters the battlefield choose odd or even.
    ~ has protection from converted mana costs of the chosen quality.
    3/3

It's no TNN, but an interesting card nonetheless against the right decks.

May 2015
    PDX

Name odd: can’t use Mother of Runes, SoFI/Skull, or Flickerwisp to save.
    Name even: can’t equip Jitte.

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Companion looks fraught with issues, for paper Magic anyway. It reminds me of Genn/Baku from Hearthstone. Those guys made Standard a shitstorm and I believe their devs went as far as to call them a mistake.

Part of me wants to say this is to encourage people to just play more online Magic so these kinds of cards "just work" and no player will be subject to a deckbuilding mistake. This is very difficult to easily enforce in meatspace. I don't like this.
    I think their theory on it is since the card with Companion is face up the whole game, you don't need to see their decklist, you just call a judge if they play anything that violates the rule. Overall though, its a nifty casual concept, but a bad idea for a standard legal set.

Holy Shit.

Evasion Protocol 1U
    Enchantment
    Whenever you cycle a card you may pay 1, if you do, exile target artifact or creature you control, then return that card to the battlefield under its owners control.

So it's Slide, with an activation cost, in Blue, for one less mana, and it can hit both creatures and artifacts, but only your own.

Like, I'm really happy to see this, but unless there's a great artifact to move with this, overall, I've got to say it's a lot worse than the OG card. The biggest advantage of Slide was always being able to stall your opponents dudes, popping your own guys in and out just hasn't been that great since the M10 rules changes killed damage on the stack.

On the other hand, the white cycling version of Young Pyromancer and the new red "burn your opponent rift guy" are fairly strong, so, I guess this being worse balances that out? I dunno, there's absolutely a Standard deck here, and probably a Pioneer one too, even if most of the stuff from Ahmonket block does suck. Drake Roost in Pioneer is probably worth another look now.

EDIT: maybe the best use in standard is you can use this to "un-mutate" your guys and have multiple creatures instead of one super one?
    Last edited by morgan_coke; 04-06-2020 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Holy Shit.

Evasion Protocol 1U
    Enchantment
    Whenever you cycle a card you may pay 1, if you do, exile target artifact or creature you control, then return that card to the battlefield under its owners control.

So it's Slide, with an activation cost, in Blue, for one less mana, and it can hit both creatures and artifacts, but only your own.

Like, I'm really happy to see this, but unless there's a great artifact to move with this, overall, I've got to say it's a lot worse than the OG card. The biggest advantage of Slide was always being able to stall your opponents dudes, popping your own guys in and out just hasn't been that great since the M10 rules changes killed damage on the stack.

On the other hand, the white cycling version of Young Pyromancer and the new red "burn your opponent rift guy" are fairly strong, so, I guess this being worse balances that out? I dunno, there's absolutely a Standard deck here, and probably a Pioneer one too, even if most of the stuff from Ahmonket block does suck. Drake Roost in Pioneer is probably worth another look now.
    Sounds like it goes large with a Dynamo or a Monolith. Someone else will have to figure out the next part of the combo that mills a bunch of your deck.
    EDIT: maybe the best use in standard is you can use this to "un-mutate" your guys and have multiple creatures instead of one super one?
    EDIT: Looks like I forgot the text of my post?
    It seems to go "infinite" with a monolith or a dynamo, so maybe we're looking at a weird cycle deck that goes into living end?

May 2015
    PDX

So what is the deal with mutate:
    -I put it under animated Factory, and pass turn...does it fall off?
    -Opponent has Decay (can't hit Factory), can they target the mutated thing? If so, what is its card type?
    -It would make sense if the mutates turned into a local enchantment, but if they don't....where are they? Like can Wasteland Strangler eat them off the creature from exile?

Another simple question - can a creature be mutated several times? Creature A mutated by creatures B, C, and D? When creature A dies, creatures B, C, and D are all in play, if they are later mutated, does this count as the 2nd time they are mutated? Is that line of thinking correct?

-Opponent has Decay (can't hit Factory), can they target the mutated thing? If so, what is its card type?
    -It would make sense if the mutates turned into a local enchantment, but if they don't....where are they? Like can Wasteland Strangler eat them off the creature from exile?
    To put it simply, only the 'top of the stack' creature 'exists' so only it can be targeted, mutated stuff underneath it are treated as extra buffs added to the top of the stack creature. If the top creature leaves the field, all the mutates underneath it go to the same zone. Note, however, that similar to bestow if the creature you target with a mutant on the stack leaves the bf before the mutant resolves, the mutant will etb as the 'normal version' without any mutate triggers

The rules article does not specify Factory, blink or similar effects. Yeah, it's gonna be a clusterfuck.

Mar 2007

As I understand it, it stays on the Factory, but wouldn't the mutated mods be lost once you animate it? How does this work?

Edit:

I don't see why people are creaming themselves over this on Twitter. Okay, some nice utility for Storm, but what else?

May 2015
    PDX

Don’t think you can play that card in not-commander b/c it’s cmc is >2 and it can’t start outside your deck (in command zone)???

Mar 2007

Don’t think you can play that card in not-commander b/c it’s cmc is >2 and it can’t start outside your deck (in command zone)???
    It's seperate from the starting deck, so you can cast it.

I've missed that you can run it as a regular card in your deck as well. That gets rid off its drawback, too.

Somebody has pointed out the combo with Hope of Ghirapur.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    As I understand it, it stays on the Factory, but wouldn't the mutated mods be lost once you animate it? How does this work?

Edit:

I don't see why people are creaming themselves over this on Twitter. Okay, some nice utility for Storm, but what else?
    Forget Companion, you just put that in your deck as a regular creature x4 and enjoy the valuetown.

Also, this is the single best Cycling card printed since Astral Drift (apologies to Shark Typhoon)

Mar 2007

4x is probaby too much for it.

@Fox: Is this a wincon for Fluctuator decks?

T1: Land, Fox
    T2: Land, Fluctuator, cycle until you're good.

May 2015
    PDX

Wouldn't try that even if it had trample. Need 2 cards without manipulation or protection.

In Legacy it's a 2x probably in DnT or Grixs 'mancer. In Standard cycling decks it's a 4x, same with Pioneer. (The companion kitty I mean)

Thread Information