Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: iKoria Spoilers: Godzilla is a creature type now

Re: iKoria Spoilers: Godzilla is a creature type now

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    So what is the deal with mutate:
    -I put it under animated Factory, and pass turn...does it fall off?
    -Opponent has Decay (can't hit Factory), can they target the mutated thing? If so, what is its card type?
    -It would make sense if the mutates turned into a local enchantment, but if they don't....where are they? Like can Wasteland Strangler eat them off the creature from exile?
    Based on what the card says (so without rules) it won't fall off, and the land will just have some useless triggered ability. Then when you animate it the ability will still be there (just like its tap; add Mana ability doesn't go anywhere when it's a creature)
    No, the mutated part of the factory well be under the factory and none of those characteristics will apply. So it's still a land, its cmc is still 0, still colorless. If you put it on top:
    Yes. It will have the cmc, color, and p/t of the mutation card. At end of turn it will remain a creature because those are the current characteristics of the card (mutate-top should overwrite them) and retain the Mana ability and the ability to turn it into a 2/2 assembly worker
    They're in play, sort of fused. Mutate is a creature spell that resolves into a characteristic defining ability, with functionality similar to meld.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    As I understand it, it stays on the Factory, but wouldn't the mutated mods be lost once you animate it? How does this work?

Edit:

I don't see why people are creaming themselves over this on Twitter. Okay, some nice utility for Storm, but what else?
    Ok, so I t1 LED this onto the battlefield.
    Now what?

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Now what?
    Rit, this, recast some cantrips and Ice-Fang, and call it a day.

A true hero goes Rit, Cat -> turn 2 double Sinkhole. Aw nvm....only permanents.

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    Another simple question - can a creature be mutated several times? Creature A mutated by creatures B, C, and D? When creature A dies, creatures B, C, and D are all in play, if they are later mutated, does this count as the 2nd time they are mutated? Is that line of thinking correct?
    Yes. Many of these creatures are designed to be mutated over and over. Basically one creature will be on top, and that will define the name, CMC, P/T, color, types, ect of the card but then every card mutated onto it will add it's textbox (and nothing else) to the top creature. And when you mutate, you get the choice of keeping the current top creature, or having the mutation spell be the new top creature.
    So (assuming these cards had mutate)
    You have a birds of paradise.
    You mutate Grisslebrand underneith it.
    You'll have a 0/1 Green lifelink flying bird with T: Add one of any color and Pay 7 life: Draw seven cards.
    Now you mutate Delver of secrets on top of it
    You'll have 1/1 Blue human wizard with Flying, lifelink, T: Add one of any color of mana, pay 7 life: Draw seven cards, and "at the beginning of your upkeep look at the top ... and transform"

Edit: I thought about it more and more I think the mutations don't care if the delver transforms, they'll still be there.
    Last edited by FourDogsinaHorseSuit; 04-06-2020 at 10:35 PM.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    In Legacy it's a 2x probably in DnT or Grixs 'mancer. In Standard cycling decks it's a 4x, same with Pioneer. (The companion kitty I mean)
    Would Grixis decks run Kroxa to combo with it?

Edit: You could also recycle Ballista over and over again with it, which is kinda nice.

Would Grixis decks run Kroxa to combo with it?

Edit: You could also recycle Ballista over and over again with it, which is kinda nice.
    Snap, Kroxa, Pyro, Thalia, Vial, Chalice, EE, Omen of the Sea (not Legacy relevant), Standstill, that flippy Kraken Horror thing, 'Goyf, Death's Shadow, any relevant permanent with cycling, lotta good options there.

Rit, this, recast some cantrips and Ice-Fang, and call it a day.

A true hero goes Rit, Cat -> turn 2 double Sinkhole. Aw nvm....only permanents.
    But it only limits permanents in construction so you can still play Force!

Apr 2014
    New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Now what?
    Recast LED, next turn flashback Echo of Eons?

Quote Originally Posted by Watersaw View Post
    Recast LED, next turn flashback Echo of Eons?
    Well I can do that now because it's in my yard and I have an LED in play.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

As I understand it, it stays on the Factory, but wouldn't the mutated mods be lost once you animate it? How does this work?

Edit:

I don't see why people are creaming themselves over this on Twitter. Okay, some nice utility for Storm, but what else?
    Forget building a deck around it (the FBing LED and Petal each turn - hell you can play this with standstill) what permanents do you absolutely need to run that are >2? Just play a Esper Deck as normal and include this as a companion. . . you can also play a white hatebear deck! Play it later to get back a hate bear you lost.

Edit - in regards to Lurrus and LED, if we get a good number of cards to cast out of graveyard with LED you can run it a bit like Vintage workshop decks? Mulligan aggressively (and maybe use Serum Powder) into LED + [Card you want to cast with LED]. Then turn 1 LED --> Lurrus from sideboard --> LED --> [Card you want to cast with LED]. Hopefully that is a lot of value? We just need to find [Card you want to cast with LED] . . . . Echo of Eons is 4 cards, I think you might want 6 more cards that you want to use with LED for this to be a potential avenue to build around (as it is though you can give you opponent a random 7 and start with Lurrus just by aggressively Mulligan into LED + Echo.

I'm just trying to envision how a underworld breach deck with Lurrus might have looked
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Forget building a deck around it (the FBing LED and Petal each turn - hell you can play this with standstill) what permanents do you absolutely need to run that are >2? Just play a Esper Deck as normal and include this as a companion. . . you can also play a white hatebear deck! Play it later to get back a hate bear you lost.

Edit - in regards to Lurrus and LED, if we get a good number of cards to cast out of graveyard with LED you can run it a bit like Vintage workshop decks? Mulligan aggressively (and maybe use Serum Powder) into LED + [Card you want to cast with LED]. Then turn 1 LED --> Lurrus from sideboard --> LED --> [Card you want to cast with LED]. Hopefully that is a lot of value? We just need to find [Card you want to cast with LED] . . . . Echo of Eons is 4 cards, I think you might want 6 more cards that you want to use with LED for this to be a potential avenue to build around (as it is though you can give you opponent a random 7 and start with Lurrus just by aggressively Mulligan into LED + Echo.

I'm just trying to envision how a underworld breach deck with Lurrus might have looked
    4x Painter's Servant
    4x Grindstone
    4x Quiet Speculation
    4x Echo of the Eons
    4x Lion's Eye Diamond
    4x Fiathless looting.
    4x Goblin Engineer
    4x Wishclaw talisman
    4x Lotus Petal
    4x Ponder
    4x Brainstorm
    4x Volcanic island
    4x Scalding Tarn
    2x Island
    8x Other lands
    //SB
    1 Larrus of the Dream Den
    UR Graveyard Painter, maybe it needs more dredge? Drakmore has dredge and casts LArrus

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    (and maybe use Serum Powder)
    Serum Powder is a permanent with CMC of 3, so you can't use it in tandem with Companion.

God, these new mechanics are all such terrible, over-complicated clusterfucks.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Serum Powder is a permanent with CMC of 3, so you can't use it in tandem with Companion.
    Ah, oops.

Another thought . . . If you save your LED for turn 2 you can do stuff like this:

Turn 1 - Land + Discard/Draw
    Turn 2 - Land + Discard/Draw + LED -> LED into Lurrus from Board, discard a Titan. FB LED with Lurrus -> Escape your Titan.

14 Land
    10 Cantrips
    8 Discard Spells
    4 FOW
    4 Daze
    6 Titans
    4 Echo
    4 LED
    4 Petal
    6 Open

Companion: Lurrus
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

May 2015
    PDX

I don't think you're allowed to play Echo or FoW with Lurrus pre-requisite of cmc under 3

I don't think you're allowed to play Echo or FoW with Lurrus pre-requisite of cmc under 3
    Read the card again, but slowly this time.

May 2015
    PDX

Perms only...too much text...

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

OK, lets tone it down though, these are new cards and often are untinutive.

Lurrus only limits you to permanents that are less then 2 CMC, not all spells.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

CMC restriction relates only to permanent cards...

Also everyone is getting hung up on the deckbuilding restrictions as it relates to Companion.
    You can play this in you deck as just a card, and realistically should be evaluated as such.

This card is a Value Machine. Yeah there are some fancy tricks you can run with LED and stuff, but what about just replaying Baleful Strix and SFM and Thalia?
    Everyone is tripping over this like it's a Dark Confidant and the only comments are "BuT wHaT iF I fLiP oVeR a DrACo?"
    Forgo the cutesy junk and just play it like a normal card
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Forgo the cutesy junk and just play it like a normal card
    Yeah, my first reaction to the card was to think of a DGA sort of deck where the only things 3-CMC would be Linger Souls and Vindicates.

You could put Liliana in the sideboard for matchups where you really need it and then bring Lurrus into the maindeck. I mean, no idea if it is "good" but there are a lot of 2-CMC "value" things to be played with this, I think, outside of "combos."
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

I love this card, it's going to be a real player in Pioneer and Standard. Is there anything good to do with it in Legacy?

Thread Information