Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: iKoria Spoilers: Godzilla is a creature type now

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Re: iKoria Spoilers: Godzilla is a creature type now

Quote Originally Posted by the Thin White Duke View Post
    This works with Cycling, right? Is this better than Fluctuator?
    IDK if it works, but it can't reduce the cost to zero so can't work in a Fluctuator deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    IDK if it works, but it can't reduce the cost to zero so can't work in a Fluctuator deck.
    Right, reading fail.
    That still won't stop me from building another Slide deck.
    Listen up shitizens! http://www.noagendashow.com/
    Be a part of the magic! OBDM https://ourbigdumbmouth.com/

Quote Originally Posted by the Thin White Duke View Post
    Right, reading fail.
    That still won't stop me from building another Slide deck.
    I've got a thread up in new and development for a red/white slide deck with a fast clock, minor disruption, and combo outs.

Quote Originally Posted by Watersaw View Post
    ETB tapped means you need a second land. Can this theoretical 4c aggro deck manage that? Is that even good when Delver exists?
    I imagine so, there were RUG decks than ran Taiga and Plataeu to T2 power up Kird Ape and Wild Nacatl before, no need for four colours. I'm not saying it''s great or anything, but it's definately interesting.

Sep 2011

Why does your Wild Nacatl need specific colors while mine fixes colors? Seems bad.

How are you all breaking Song of Creation in Legacy? I’m goldfishing it in a deck with Orcish Lumberjack and Titania because I like the idea of being able to combo and play your deck on turn 3 or win through combat with endless 5/3 tokens. I’m sure it’s not the best use of Song of Creation but it calls to me.

The cards I’m using are:

Orcish Lumberjack
    Exploration
    Lotus Cobra
    GSZ
    Song of Creation
    Mox Diamond (with Song, draw 2 and *then* decide whether to pitch a land)
    Crop Rotation
    Life from the Loam
    Titania, Protector of Argoth
    Korvold, Fae-Cursed King
    Toolbox for Crop Rotation (incl. 1x Tireless Tracker)
    Toolbox for GSZ
    1x Need for Speed (so you win on the same turn you draw your deck)

It’s fun to combo out because you often get to draw the deck and win with huge hasty creatures, but even if the combo fizzles out, you can pass the turn with a crazy board position and various forms of permanent-based disruption active (Wasteland, Bojuka Bog, Leovold, Scooze) to offset the loss of your hand. And starting your next turn with an empty hand is OK because you have Clue tokens in play and/or Loam in your GY. That is, it’s worse than storm combo but more exciting than storm combo, and an actual advantage in comparison to storm combo is that you can combo incompletely and still win — it’s more of a snowball than a one-shot combo.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsOfParadise View Post
    How are you all breaking Song of Creation in Legacy? I’m goldfishing it in a deck with Orcish Lumberjack and Titania because I like the idea of being able to combo and play your deck on turn 3 or win through combat with endless 5/3 tokens. I’m sure it’s not the best use of Song of Creation but it calls to me.
    I posted in the thread on the New & Developmental section. It goldfishes on turn 1-2 casting 20 copies of Tendrils of Agony, or sometimes you "fizzle" and have to make 14 Goblin tokens or go off again next turn.

Playing through hate will be challenging, but it steamrolls anything without disruption.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    I posted in the thread on the New & Developmental section. It goldfishes on turn 1-2 casting 20 copies of Tendrils of Agony, or sometimes you "fizzle" and have to make 14 Goblin tokens or go off again next turn.

Playing through hate will be challenging, but it steamrolls anything without disruption.
    Force of Will and Veil of Summer are both in there right? Seems like it should be pretty decent.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

For the heck of it, since the full set is spoiled now, excluding the Kaiju cards, what do folks think the risers and fallers will be price wise (with a Legacy impact).

Lurrus is at ~$7.50 now, I could see it rising, but since I like it, it's probably bad, and therefore will become cheaper. General opinions about any/other cards?

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    For the heck of it, since the full set is spoiled now, excluding the Kaiju cards, what do folks think the risers and fallers will be price wise (with a Legacy impact).

Lurrus is at ~$7.50 now, I could see it rising, but since I like it, it's probably bad, and therefore will become cheaper. General opinions about any/other cards?
    Monday is supposed to be a ban day so we'll find out tomorrow.

Am I just lazy or otherwise confused but I dont understand the Zirda combo lists here.
    Zirda says that it cant target mana abilities so what are those Basalt and Grim Monolith reliable combo decks?

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by raudo View Post
    Am I just lazy or otherwise confused but I dont understand the Zirda combo lists here.
    Zirda says that it cant target mana abilities so what are those Basalt and Grim Monolith reliable combo decks?
    Tapping to add 3 to you mana pool is a mana ability, and Zirda has no cost reduction effects there, it's still "Tap: Add ."
    Untapping it is not a mana ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Sep 2011

Monolith has 2 abilities:
    1) T: Add 3
    2) 3: Untap (or 4: Untap)

The first one is a mana ability. The second isn't. Reducing the cost of the 2nd one by 2 lets you tap and untap Monolith over and over to make infinite colorless mana.

Power Artifact has enabled the same combo for a while. That combo sees play in Commander sometimes. It wasn't Legacy viable because you need 3 pieces: Monolith + Power Artifact + some mana sink that wins the game when you have infinite mana.

The real perk with Zirda is it's a Power Artifact you can cast from the Companion Zone, with minimal deckbuilding constraints. Zirda's a free card. That reduces it to a 2-card combo (Monolith + win con), which is Legacy viable. The recent printing of Karn, the Great Creator also helps finding both Monolith and a wincon.

Also Zirda doesn't target Monolith, preventing 2-for-1s from widely-played Abrupt Decay that you can get with Power Artifact.

Oh I see. Not sure I like this companion thing at all..

Oh I see. Not sure I like this companion thing at all..
    Most of them are prohibitively expensive, or too weak to really build around. This one is notable because not only does it combo but it also can be played in the deck you're using it for. Unlike Lurrus (the CMC 2-or-less one) which is also powerful and enables combos, but you only get to run the one copy, so if they counter/path it it's over.

EDIT: Except for storm which it's basically a free +2 on any storm count, turning Tendrils into 8drils.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Monday is supposed to be a ban day so we'll find out tomorrow.
    Just want to note that while I think there is supposed to be an announcement today, I think it was already stated that it is only about Lutri in Brawl.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Just want to note that while I think there is supposed to be an announcement today, I think it was already stated that it is only about Lutri in Brawl.
    The otter is getting axed too I thought because in EDH it's an 8th card for all UR players?
    EDIT: Lutri is the Otter's name, oops.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    The otter is getting axed too I thought because in EDH it's an 8th card for all UR players?
    EDIT: Lutri is the Otter's name, oops.
    Yeah, Sheldon and company already banned the card in EDH before it was even announced, on the reveal stream it was shown and immediately noted that it was banned in Commander already.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Aside from all the obviously broken combo stuff Ikoria has brought us, one thing caught my eye yesterday after seeing it doing some really dumb shit with tokens: Winota, Joiner of Forces

Sure, it was only Standard, but Legacy has some quality token producers as well, like Young Pyromancer or Monastery Mentor, that synergize perfectly with it. Maybe there are some applications in midrange decks.

Bonus points for Elks triggering it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Aside from all the obviously broken combo stuff Ikoria has brought us, one thing caught my eye yesterday after seeing it doing some really dumb shit with tokens: Winota, Joiner of Forces

Sure, it was only Standard, but Legacy has some quality token producers as well, like Young Pyromancer or Monastery Mentor, that synergize perfectly with it. Maybe there are some applications in midrange decks.

Bonus points for Elks triggering it, too.
    At least right now the "non-Human" clauses on all those cards work on any not-human creature type, so like, "human rogue"? Works.

Also, just in general, fuck the goddamned companions. There are already three annoying as fuck decks in standard running them. It's impossible to play any kind of non-linear gameplan right now because there are at least a dozen axes of attack people can take, and the hate/answers for all of them is either absurdly slow or incredibly narrow.

Thread Information