Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: iKoria Spoilers: Godzilla is a creature type now

Re: iKoria Spoilers: Godzilla is a creature type now

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Question might be if you play a deck without any creatures, is it reasonable to slap this guy in your sideboard for a guaranteed random creature in case you need it?
    Is a solitary 3/2 vigilance creature going to win the game by itself though? Or stop one from losing?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

This one seems somewhat reasonable to both use in some kind of combo and the condition for Companion it. Maybe SFM and Equipment?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I think you are confusing the card he was asking about, Kaheera, and Lorrus. The condition on the card he was asking is that everything be a Cat, Beast, Nightmare, Dinosaur or Elemental, which it is a Cat Beast itself.
    I was unclear. You cannot play 3 Lorrus MB and 1 SB because the CmC is >2

However, you should be able to play Kaheera in this manner because it is a Cat and/or beast.
    Listen up shitizens! http://www.noagendashow.com/
    Be a part of the magic! OBDM https://ourbigdumbmouth.com/

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    Is a solitary 3/2 vigilance creature going to win the game by itself though? Or stop one from losing?
    I mean, it depends - we've just never had a creature that takes up no spots in the starting 60 and is at the same time always in your hand. I can envision a control deck that devotes its entire deck to counters/creature kill and then just casts this whenever it's taken control of the game and wins at its leisure. Usually such decks try to may man-lands, etc. Now they don't have to (or they can play this along with mutavault as well).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

RE Zidra - it's a training grounds that is always in your hand and effects non-creature permanents but costs 3 mana.

Isn't this infinite mana with Basalt Monolith and Grim Monolith? I know 4 and 5 mana 2 card infinite mana combos aren't exactly the best . . . but these are more accurately 4 and 5 mana 1 card infinite mana combos, does that make them worthwhile? (4/5 mana 1 card combo that can be broken up over 2 turns (2/(R/W)(R/W) or 3/(R/W)(R/W))

4 Petal
    4 LED
    4 Basalt Monolith
    4 Grim Monolith

4 Walking Ballista
    4 [Devil's Play] (so you can play LED? if there is a better win con then I would replace this with that and perhaps LED with a Mox?)

4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    4 FOW
    4 Daze
    2 Cantrip/Control

10 Lands (to produce U/R or U/W)
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors

Companion - Zidra

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

They finally did it! Brushwagg aggro here we come!
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Jan 2006
    Boulder, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Zirda list
    I think the Zirda/Monolith combo might actually be Legacy applicable! Note that other Zirdas can be in the main in addition to the companion, adding further redundancy to the combo in case the first one gets countered.

In your list: since you are already running LED and Walking Ballista, why not throw in Auriok Salvagers as well and go Bomberman backup plan? Retrofitter Foundry is also nice with both Zirda/Monoliths and Bomberman.

Edit: Could also go Karn, the Great Creator and move a Monolith to the board to tutor for.

Edit 2: Another Basalt Monolith combo that could easily be slotted in is Mesmeric Orb (+Narcomoebas, Dread Return, and Thassa's Oracle in the deck to mill into).

Edit 3: Since Mesmeric Orb has no activated ability, that idea isn't going to work.
    Last edited by Wanderlust; 04-09-2020 at 01:13 PM.

Jan 2006
    Boulder, CO

Here's a quick take on Zirda/Bomberman monty. I've only goldfished about 5 games but it's been consistent at going off turn 2-3 with either a Pact of Negation or Cavern of Souls as protection from Force of Will and enough mana to win through Daze/Swords/Lightning Bolt/Fatal Push.

4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    3 Mox Opal
    4 Grim Monolith
    3 Basalt Monolith
    3 Boros Signet
    2 Mystic Forge
    4 Retrofitter Foundry
    3 Walking Ballista
    4 Auriok Salvagers
    4 Karn, the Great Creator
    4 Pact of Negation

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    1 Inventors' Fair
    1 Karakas
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Ancient Den

Sideboard:
    Companion - Zirda
    1 Basalt Monolith
    1 Mycosynth Lattice
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Glass Casket
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Walking Ballista

Edit: Oops, Retrofitter Foundry and Pact of Negation aren't exactly best friends. Will have to reconsider one of those slots. Maybe just replace Pact of Negation with 1 Hope of Ghirapur and 3 Enlightened Tutor.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    Here's a quick take on Zirda/Bomberman monty. I've only goldfished about 5 games but it's been consistent at going off turn 2-3 with either a Pact of Negation or Cavern of Souls as protection from Force of Will and enough mana to win through Daze/Swords/Lightning Bolt/Fatal Push.

4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    3 Mox Opal
    4 Grim Monolith
    3 Basalt Monolith
    3 Boros Signet
    2 Mystic Forge
    4 Retrofitter Foundry
    3 Walking Ballista
    4 Auriok Salvagers
    4 Karn, the Great Creator
    4 Pact of Negation

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    1 Inventors' Fair
    1 Karakas
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Ancient Den

Sideboard:
    Companion - Zirda
    1 Basalt Monolith
    1 Mycosynth Lattice
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Glass Casket
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Walking Ballista

Edit: Oops, Retrofitter Foundry and Pact of Negation aren't exactly best friends. Will have to reconsider one of those slots. Maybe just replace Pact of Negation with 1 Hope of Ghirapur and 3 Enlightened Tutor.
    Maybe just replace the Foundry with Rocket Launcher or something?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Maybe just replace the Foundry with Rocket Launcher or something?
    Staff of Domination, maybe? Draw your deck + infinite life, Karn for any solution you might require, win game.

Jan 2006
    Boulder, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Staff of Domination, maybe? Draw your deck + infinite life, Karn for any solution you might require, win game.
    Great idea! Maybe ditch Auriok Salvagers for Metalworker in that case, which allows Cavern of Souls to always name fox for Zirda rather than wishing sometimes is could produce the W for Salvagers.

Also I started a thread in N&D so we can move the conversation about this deck over there and free up the spoiler thread again: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...noliths-combo)

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

If you thought Mutate was bad, just wait until you read this:

https://twitter.com/PleasantKenobi/s...81499891757060

Copied creatures retain all properties of the mutated creatures. Not surprising, but still terrifying upon realisation.

May 2015
    PDX

If you thought Mutate was bad, just wait until you read this:

https://twitter.com/PleasantKenobi/s...81499891757060

Copied creatures retain all properties of the mutated creatures. Not surprising, but still terrifying upon realisation.
    I mean they’d kind of have to right, the mutate card (the card under) isn’t sitting in any zone and isn’t targetable except through the creature it’s on.

I have a question about companion. So if you have a creature that's a companion, there's one copy in your sideboard....but can you also have copies maindeck? I tried looking that up but couldn't find an answer.

What happens when one mutates on top of a vehicle? This feels similar to the man-land question.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    I have a question about companion. So if you have a creature that's a companion, there's one copy in your sideboard....but can you also have copies maindeck? I tried looking that up but couldn't find an answer.
    It's still a magic card, so you can have up to 3 copies in your main deck of one is in your sideboard, but keep in mind: they still need to fit into the deck building constraints of you want to use the companion ability.
    (Ex: the bw dream-den one? If that's in your deck then it can't also be your companion because it's cmc is 3
    The rw one? You can have that one in your deck and as a companion because it has an activated ability)

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    What happens when one mutates on top of a vehicle? This feels similar to the man-land question.
    Unless the final rules for mutate say otherwise then it should work the same way as for lands.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    It's still a magic card, so you can have up to 3 copies in your main deck of one is in your sideboard, but keep in mind: they still need to fit into the deck building constraints of you want to use the companion ability.
    (Ex: the bw dream-den one? If that's in your deck then it can't also be your companion because it's cmc is 3
    The rw one? You can have that one in your deck and as a companion because it has an activated ability)
    Ah, ok. I like the red/white one for a Monolith / Walking Ballista deck. But the deck does suffer in that you can't run typical mud disruption main like Chalice, Trinisphere, Lodestone Golem etc.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    Ah, ok. I like the red/white one for a Monolith / Walking Ballista deck. But the deck does suffer in that you can't run typical mud disruption main like Chalice, Trinisphere, Lodestone Golem etc.
    The Zidra/Monolith combo goes off consistently turn 2/3, if it could also run the Mud distruption suite it would be ridiculous.

Alert! Alert! Fully Legacy playable cycling combo card!

Well, maybe. It's in the right color to get ritualed out fast, but then you're either running a bunch of tutors and one cycling creature+Emrakul, or just a bunch of big Yidaro-type cycling dudes to pop out with this. Another option involves backup combos using Fluctuator/Zenith Blast/Concordia Crossroads to get out a bunch of guys and then haste kill someone. There's a lot of options here. You can also use Neutralize to cycle out counterspells if that's needed. Tons of possibilities here.

The fact that you can specifically cycle into either instants or sorceries or enchantments and not just creatures is what really puts this over the top I think.

Thread Information