Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: iKoria Spoilers: Godzilla is a creature type now

Re: iKoria Spoilers: Godzilla is a creature type now

From what we've seen of Companion so far, I'm guessing they're all competitively unplayable and intended solely for kitchen table players. Which I'm 100% fine with. The last thing MTG needs to repeat the Genn/Baku debacle from Hearthstone.

Mutate looks like the sets draft mechanic that is going to have a max of two-five cards playable in standard, if that.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Some more:

"The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    This actually doesn't look like too terrible a card:
    This should be able to cast Ancestral Vision and the other 0 mana Suspend cards, if I'm not mistaken.

I've read the mutate rules article three times and I still don't get it. Seems like an overly complicated shit just to appease kitchen table kids who are most likely just as happy with simple 12/12 trample dinosaurs anyway.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Kage View Post
    I've read the mutate rules article three times and I still don't get it. Seems like an overly complicated shit just to appease kitchen table kids who are most likely just as happy with simple 12/12 trample dinosaurs anyway.
    Agreed. This mechanic is a complete clusterfuck.

I had to read up Matt Tabak's Twitter to learn that if you blink a mutated creature, they come back as seperate creatures.

Edit: Since you can mutate creatures with extra copies of themselves, does Vadrox bring back two cards if you mutate it with itself?

Well, this one looks good:

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    I agree, UR Delver is an underpowered deck
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Mar 2007

I wonder if we get any Mutate creature that put counters onto itself upon dealing damage for a cheaper 2-card combo with Ballista than Heliod is.

Edit: Since you can mutate creatures with extra copies of themselves, does Vadrox bring back two cards if you mutate it with itself?
    Yup. You'll end up with a creature that has two identically worded triggered abilities and each one will trigger seperately.
    I dunno if Modern phoenix wants it but the Pioneer version of the deck is deperate for oomf and this provides a lot of that.

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Showing the ability counters and Godzilla theme:
    This one turns any undying/persist creature unkillable, making it very playable in modern. Probably not in legacy, you'll have to ask the DnT players if they want a Wrath Freebie.

This beauty combos with Cataclysm.

Mutate might lead to some interesting limited games. Being able to mutate onto any non-Human creature might give it applications in constructed, but we'll have to wait and see. Companion seems... idiotic. At the very least, I'm excited about new cycling cards.

Companions -
    The Otter, Kraken and the Hippo are both blue hybrid mana costed so in terms of casting cost those are certainly playable, although the restriction on at least the Otter is pretty tough. The Hippo could be manageable, after all both FoW and FoN are 3+ cc. Note that Lutri's enter play ability is restricted to on cast, but Keruga's is not. That doesn't really make Keruga playable but idk maybe in some sort of blue Superfriends concept? The Kraken has an easier restriction to work around (fine with a Chalice deck) but the restriction kills both FoW and FoN. Lutri is somewhat less restrictive in Vintage since... in Vintage you have the restricted list. You can still play 3 extra copies of FoW in your sb.

There seems to be some cheaper mutate costs i.e. 2cc, 3cc. Since Nimble Mongoose is one of my top 10 favorite cards, I'm keeping an eye on this mechanic. Also note that Mutate saves the mutate creature if the target creature fizzles. This could be a really great mechanic that will be popular for a long time. Although true it's very Yugi-Oh.

Also it seems like there will be Japanese art variants again?

https://mtg-jp.com/reading/kochima/0033907/

Mar 2007

Rules question:

If an opponent controls Archetype of Imagination, then the flying counter is still placed, but does nothing, so you could still infinite sac under Mothra? Not that this is ever going to happen, but it's an interesting interaction.

May 2015
    PDX

Companion mechanic has no text in legacy right? This seems like you’d have to reveal deck at the end of every game for opponent to verify that you’re following construction rules.

Rules question:

If an opponent controls Archetype of Imagination, then the flying counter is still placed, but does nothing, so you could still infinite sac under Mothra? Not that this is ever going to happen, but it's an interesting interaction.
    That would be my understanding: Can't beats can, the creature doesn't have flying, and you can recur again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Companion mechanic has no text in legacy right? This seems like you’d have to reveal deck at the end of every game for opponent to verify that you’re following construction rules.
    It still has text in legacy, but because you have to reveal your companion before every game it would (based on the current revealed restrictions) be pretty obvious when you break the rules, and I'm sure if your opponent catches you doing so the results are game loss (bad sideboarding) to immediate disqualification (including brainstorm in you evens-only deck G1).

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    It still has text in legacy, but because you have to reveal your companion before every game it would (based on the current revealed restrictions) be pretty obvious when you break the rules, and I'm sure if your opponent catches you doing so the results are game loss (bad sideboarding) to immediate disqualification (including brainstorm in you evens-only deck G1).
    Yeah, I mean, we'll find out more later today after Tabek does the Reddit AMA on the rules, but it isn't as if you reveal your deck to prove you don't have 5 Scalding Tarns, or 5 Brainstorms right now, so this hardly seems like a big deal.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

This a bad Cataclysm version:

However, this one is more interesting:

While it does mean you have to be in BGWx, that isn't a terrible place to be at the moment.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Much as I hate tie-ins, I could totally go for one of those Biollante things.

EDIT: The spoiler I saw was in Japanese, so I have no idea what it does.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Weenie for the Weenie God!
    Hatebear for the Hatebear Throne!

Thread Information