Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commander 2020 Previews

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Commander 2020 Previews

Quote Originally Posted by itslarryyo View Post
    My inner child absolutley loves all of this.
    100% will be building at least 1 theme deck.
    Commander 2020 facecards:

"The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Re: iKoria Spoilers: Godzilla is a creature type now

Has delve, flying, and when it attacks you can return an instant pot sorcery it exiled back to your hand.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Commander 2020 Previews

I just realized that we've been mixing Ikora and Commander 2020 previews in the other thread so I am going to move some posts here.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: Commander 2020 Previews

Imagine resolving this versus Show and Tell or maybe Reanimator.

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post

Has delve, flying, and when it attacks you can return an instant pot sorcery it exiled back to your hand.
    Ok I'm not gonna lie, this creature is insane!

3/3 flyer for 2 and Delver 4 ONLY!? Whenever it attacks you get quality spells back!?

At least making it cost UU means it won't be playable outside of monoblue... right?
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

May 2015
    PDX

Nesting Grounds is a very nice land.
    T: add
    T: move counter (of any type) from a thing you control to a different target thing (whether or not you control it), activate at sorc speed.

Been waiting for this for a few years now so that I can finally use Ice Age duals (e.g. Lava Tubes) and dump the specifically-named depletion counters onto depletion lands (e.g. Peat Bog) - not b/c it’s good, but b/c it should have been a thing that was possible for decades.

The legacy applications include:
    -dump age counters off Glacial Chasm (sets life loss at 2 per turn)
    -move charge counters (so like Jitte) onto enemy Chalice or Vial (you can also keep ticking up Vial and dumping them on Jitte)
    -some PW shenanigans (not like Oko benefits from having 20 loyalty)
    -some possible future -1/-1 counter shenanigans. Right now this would probably be limited to commander doing something with Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons, which is far and away better than trying to be a Kitchen Finks edgelord.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    you can also keep ticking up Vial and dumping them on Jitte
    I see you are a man of culture.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by aedemiel View Post
    I see you are a man of culture.
    Guilty as charged.

Quote Originally Posted by Qweerios View Post
    Ok I'm not gonna lie, this creature is insane!

3/3 flyer for 2 and Delver 4 ONLY!? Whenever it attacks you get quality spells back!?

At least making it cost UU means it won't be playable outside of monoblue... right?
    It is insane, I'm trying to figure out where this lies in terms of power level between Angler and Arcanist, of which it is basically a mashup. 3/3 is not a lot of power for a CC2 creature, and unless you run Thought Scour it isn't castable on turn two, but being able to get back Force and Daze on top of all the CC1 spells gives it a pretty huge upside over Arcanist once in play. It will obviously inevitably run out of cards, which Arcanist doesn't, and it doesn't cast stuff for free.

The UU cost isn't a huge deal though. It will be at its best in Delver shells and those only play zero to one non-blue lands. In fact, UU is probably easier to cast for most Delver decks than something like 1R or 1G.

Manascape reflector: costs 3, enters tapped, but has the activated abilities of all lands on the battlefield.
    You can also use Mana as though it was any color when activating it's abilities.

I can think of a lot of applications for this. It taps for post Mana, or it's a stage to copy depths. It can even snipe as wasteland.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Acting as back-up Karakas is kinda cool. D&T would probably be among the decks that could utilize it pretty well between Karakas, Port and Wasteland, but (or under Thalia) is simply too expensive to be any good there.

Edit: Pretty interesting card:

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Manascape reflector: costs 3, enters tapped, but has the activated abilities of all lands on the battlefield.
    You can also use Mana as though it was any color when activating it's abilities.

I can think of a lot of applications for this. It taps for post Mana, or it's a stage to copy depths. It can even snipe as wasteland.
    I think Mirage Mirror probably does this better for legacy. Since it looks like this card can tap for 3 colorless, maybe Workshops would want it? It's about 1 mana too expensive to use as extra Assembly Worker (Factory) in legacy.

Blast Zone would be a neat trick (x=0) without loss of land drop...but Nesting Grounds kinda does this better (more charge counter exploits).

Nesting Grounds is probably over due, feels reminsent(sp) of an unglued card, something with a fan. The one mana activation bothers me, i dunno why. It should be zero, or X for any number.

T: move counter (of any type) from a thing you control to a different target thing (whether or not you control it), activate at sorc speed.

Been waiting for this for a few years now so that I can finally use Ice Age duals (e.g. Lava Tubes) and dump the specifically-named depletion counters onto depletion lands (e.g. Peat Bog) - not b/c it’s good, but b/c it should have been a thing that was possible for decades.

The legacy applications include:
    -dump age counters off Glacial Chasm (sets life loss at 2 per turn)
    -move charge counters (so like Jitte) onto enemy Chalice or Vial (you can also keep ticking up Vial and dumping them on Jitte)
    -some PW shenanigans (not like Oko benefits from having 20 loyalty)
    -some possible future -1/-1 counter shenanigans. Right now this would probably be limited to commander doing something with Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons, which is far and away better than trying to be a Kitchen Finks edgelord.
    Also, using said charge counters to nullify opponents chalice (adding to them so they dont bug you) NEVERMIND you said that. Rtfp!

Move counter off blast zone to hit most tokens (and also chalices/moxen/eggs)

In the casual world:
    Doubling season seems like it would be fun with this.

I dig it!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

I think Mirage Mirror probably does this better for legacy. Since it looks like this card can tap for 3 colorless, maybe Workshops would want it? It's about 1 mana too expensive to use as extra Assembly Worker (Factory) in legacy.

Blast Zone would be a neat trick (x=0) without loss of land drop...but Nesting Grounds kinda does this better (more charge counter exploits).
    It's better than mirage mirror because you need two mana to turn the mirror on.
    The activation cost basically means:
    It only works with posts, where as you can use the scape on any land that taps for less than two.
    It effectively enters tapped, because it needs to tap for 5 to make up for it's 5 Mana initial investment
    It can't be responded to because it always has the abilities, where as the copy ability needs to resolve before you can use any other ability.

May 2015
    PDX

Mirage Mirror can add to Locus count (Even at -5 mana it can technically be mana positive), go off with Depths, copy Dreadhorde (re-fire Crop Rot, for example), buy some time vs Goyf, avoid removal/Oko, and get dumped in off a SnT and allow a surprise copy Emrakul hit. It’s a much more dangerous card for an opposing strategy to play around. Manascape’s behaviour is a lot more predictable and knowable. This turns it into a less meaninful loss of turn 3. You need that threat of having a turn 2 with 9 mana which only Workshops can provide I think; it’s just not enough of a proactively threatening engine otherwise. It’s also able to let Shops get away with really going for Workshops with Once Upon a Time, since you can count on plenty of opponents to play a green mana source for you.

@ahg113 too easy to exploit with PWs, especially PWs with [+2] modes, if it didn’t have a speed limit of 1 counter per turn.
    Last edited by Fox; 04-05-2020 at 03:34 PM.

May 2015
    PDX

Finally got the first not-Decay card that can reliably kill a Counterbalance, years too late:
    Dismantling Wave sorcery disenchant. cycling, when you cycle kill all artifact and enchants.

Another playable:
    Cryptic Trilobite :x::x: critter. Remove a +1/+1 add to pool, use only to activate abilities. T: add a +1/+1 counter.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Another playable:
    Cryptic Trilobite :x::x: critter. Remove a +1/+1 add to pool, use only to activate abilities. T: add a +1/+1 counter.
    But what do you use the mana ability for, since it's restricted to activated abilities? Ballista pump?

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Slippery Bogbonder 3G
    Creature - Human Druid
    Flash
    Hexproof
    When Slippery Bogbonder enters the battlefield, put a hexproof counter on target creature. Then move any number of counters from among creatures you control onto that creature.
    3/3

This card is probably not good but just seems obnoxious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

-dump age counters off Glacial Chasm (sets life loss at 2 per turn).
    putting age counters on your opponent's permanents is a win con...

Thread Information