Thread: Is Hymn to Tourach good in the current meta?

Is Hymn to Tourach good in the current meta?

I have been looking at an Esper Snow list, as well as a 4c nongreen pile-esque build. I wonder, is this a general meta (as shown by mtgtop8), is Hymn good, and more to the point, is hymn, snap, hymn good (consecutive turns, not same turn), like turn 3 hymn then ponder, turn 4 SCM into Hymn?

I was watching some streams and saw hymn being played in decks similar to mine. Just looking for perceptions and opinions, thanks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Re: Is Hymn to Tourach good in the current meta?

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    I have been looking at an Esper Snow list, as well as a 4c nongreen pile-esque build. I wonder, is this a general meta (as shown by mtgtop8), is Hymn good, and more to the point, is hymn, snap, hymn good (consecutive turns, not same turn), like turn 3 hymn then ponder, turn 4 SCM into Hymn?

I was watching some streams and saw hymn being played in decks similar to mine. Just looking for perceptions and opinions, thanks.

Hymn is good when Control and non-GY-centric combos are at a high.

Hymn is bad against Veil of Summer.

Current Control and Combo decks tend to play Veil.

My opinion is that Hymn is currently at an all-time low and is likely to remain there as long as Oko will be the premier payoff card for Control decks.
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Svaca (aka Tomas Mar) has pretty consistently jammed 3 and had good results. But then again, I am pretty sure he is just a really good player as well, so it is hard to disentangle that from the card's potential. Still though, I don't think he'd get those results with 3 bricks, so I think Hymn is still decent, just not quite as powerful as it once was.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Svaca (aka Tomas Mar) has pretty consistently jammed 3 and had good results. But then again, I am pretty sure he is just a really good player as well, so it is hard to disentangle that from the card's potential. Still though, I don't think he'd get those results with 3 bricks, so I think Hymn is still decent, just not quite as powerful as it once was.
    Dark ritual thoughtseize and hymn is still back breaking

Just that the printing of new cards have not supported black well enough

This sums up my feelings, which is why I am on the fence. I think it's still at its best against decks like DnT and probably against grindy midrange like Maverick and Czech and other Pile lists. I'll probably try them in the board for those matchups.

Thanks.

May 2015
    PDX

Pretty sure Wrenn and DTT were the only cards that has ever made playing Hymn a death sentence. Oko/Uro are good against it b/c they don‘t allow Strix-type cheese to be a legitimate followup, and they happen to also run Veil. There‘s a number of names for decks that are just those three cards, but it‘s all the same deck...so Hymn has 1 bad matchup, but against a deck that running somewhere around 20-30% of the format.

So yes Hymn is as good as it has ever been, and its only competitors [blue-Hymn~Counterbalance and pseudo-Hymn~Grixis Delver‘s Probe/Therapy] got hit by bans. People are just too chicken to spam that nonsense against Veil, and that cowardice has made the format quite a bit more fun.

Thread Information