Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Gyruda

Turbo Gyruda

Turbo Gyruda is an all in combo deck built around casting Gyruda, Doom of Depths ASAP, and chaining clones until your opponent's deck is in their graveyard. We use sol lands and mana rocks alongside LED to cheat on mana, and have a light protection suite to force him through. We can board dread return and thassa's oracle in vs emrakul decks, but usually getting rid of their deck is enough.

EXAMPLE LIST: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2920524#online

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: Turbo Gyruda

Very cool concept. How fast can it reliably kill, though?

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Very cool concept. How fast can it reliably kill, though?
    turn 1-3, all it needs to do is get 6 mana

Since you are trying to get to 6 mana, its quite possible that grim monolith is better than petals.

Additionally echo of eons seems it would help with your mulligans since you only need a led to rebuy a hand and try to get more mana.

Sep 2011

Looks strong.

Gyruda fits very well with 4x Chalice of the Void or Thorn of Amethyst, to supplement Defense Grids. Not sure if that's better main or SB.

Dread Return does not work. Your creatures will all be Legendary, all but one dying to Legend rule before you get priority to cast Dread Return.

Feb 2014

Looks like it really dies to many things.

But you could play 4 restoration angels, and some felidar guardians instead of some of the clones: it could leave you with a real board presence when you fizzle, and you can win by attacking with dack's duplicates cloning angels and clones of dack cloning angels.

Mar 2007

Is there any particular reason why certain clones are preferred over Phyrexian Metamorph? Just curious.

3-point-shooter

Feb 2006

That's a really cool concept!
    Having to stuff the library with 30 combo pieces leaves you a 3.5-cards starting hand and forfeits the benefit from the 6-mana, 0-card! combo.
    I did a rough math for 30 pieces: the fizzle rate for an average reveal is 5.5%, quite acceptable. However, if not mistaken, 'from among those cards' means you have to stack successful triggers 12-13 times in a row, leaving the final fizzle rate at 50%!
    We need to find a way to drastically decrease the fizzle rate and push for much fewer combo pieces. Otherwise, much kudos to WotC for getting the balance right

Edit: The 3 best pitch counters Force of Will, Misdirection, Commandeer are unfortunately out. Half of the hands will just be Chrome Mox fodders
    On the Sep 2011 Ban List Updates,
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
    Yep DCI/Wizards never fails... those that cry the loudest wins!

Quote Originally Posted by tsabo_tavoc View Post
    That's a really cool concept!
    Having to stuff the library with 30 combo pieces leaves you a 3.5-cards starting hand and forfeits the benefit from the 6-mana, 0-card! combo.
    I did a rough math for 30 pieces: the fizzle rate for an average reveal is 5.5%, quite acceptable. However, if not mistaken, 'from among those cards' means you have to stack successful triggers 12-13 times in a row, leaving the final fizzle rate at 50%!
    We need to find a way to drastically decrease the fizzle rate and push for much fewer combo pieces. Otherwise, much kudos to WotC for getting the balance right

Edit: The 3 best pitch counters Force of Will, Misdirection, Commandeer are unfortunately out. Half of the hands will just be Chrome Mox fodders
    I agree that chaining clones is too slot intensive. I feel running bounce creatures like restoration angel and feldilar guardian + kiki jikki will give you a munch better chance of going lethal and is much less slot intensive so you can run more protection

Edit: kiki is 5 cmc, but I feel that sort of effect is needed badly.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    Looks like it really dies to many things.

But you could play 4 restoration angels, and some felidar guardians instead of some of the clones: it could leave you with a real board presence when you fizzle, and you can win by attacking with dack's duplicates cloning angels and clones of dack cloning angels.
    yea that's what the post on reddit had. dunno if that person created the thread or not, and why they changed it if so.

so if you get a spark double, then hit a Dack's Duplicate and create just copies of this guy. then all your subsequent clones also get haste too right?
    -rob

This deck already dies to rip/leyline; why not run the br reanimator targets and animate dead/exhume/some 2 cmc looting/mill as a plan b?

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    This deck already dies to rip/leyline; why not run the br reanimator targets and animate dead/exhume/some 2 cmc looting/mill as a plan b?
    What I heard discussed before is that it doesn't care if the card is in the graveyard or not at resolution.

Phyrexian Metamorph is an artifact so it can’t imprint onto Chrome Mox even though it’s blue. That may be the reason for its exclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by pettdan View Post
    What I heard discussed before is that it doesn't care if the card is in the graveyard or not at resolution.
    I believe you are correct, oops. Only hate is cage then?

Ok brewed on this.

2 major points:

1. Went to black instead of blue because unmask is 4 cmc whereas forces/misdirection are odd.

2. Went to bounces + haste instead of clones because now we don't have to chain as many times (only 3 or 4 times for the kill instead of 10+ times) and you still have a massive board if you fizzle. Not having to chain as much means we can run a bit more mana and protection.

Kolaghans is pretty silly if you have milled a creature deck a lot. Can still hit for 18 even if we only chain once (gyruda reanimating kologhan's after binning 2 Bladewing's Thralls).

Sideboard not changed
    1 Dread Return
    1 Gryuda
    4 Echoing Truth
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Pact of Negation
    1 Thassa's Oracle

Black Count 21 (15 Creatures)
    2 Cabal Ritual
    4 Evil Twin
    4 Unmask
    4 Dragonlord Kolaghans
    4 Bladewing's Thrall
    3 Gyruda

Extra Bouncers: 12
    4 restoration angel
    4 feldilar guardian
    4 Spark Double

Mana:22
    4 LED
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Tomb
    4 city
    2 peat bog
    4 Petal

Protection: 4
    Defense grid

Sep 2011

Griselbrand is black and has even CMC.

In blue, can Sphinx of Foresight help stop your first one from fizzling? It might just dilute the chain.

Chalice of the Void and Thorn of Amethyst are both possible tools to fight disruption.

Do you think this deck can go off again if it stops on a griselbrand? we have no way to put creatures back in the yard and rely heavily on led to get enough mana to cast gyruda.

I looked at a bunch of test hands and I think the list above (and mine as well) has a very low chance of getting to 2 mana without mulliganning to LED's.

I changed the list so that I could cut even more creatures to run even more mana sources to consistently have 6 mana t1. With this list a mill kill is not possible and it is assumed that putting 18-24 power (possibly hasty) on the board t1 with magister of worth is good enough to win the game. Using chancellor's as protection/mana to help with the magister put 20 power into play plan.

3 Restoration Angel
    4 Dragonlord Kolaghan
    3 Gyruda, Doom of Depths
    4 Evil Twin
    2 Gemstone Caverns
    4 Chancellor of the Tangle
    4 Spark Double
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Magister of Worth
    4 Chancellor of the Annex
    4 Unmask
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Cavern of Souls

4 Leyline of Lifeforce
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Echoing Truth
    1 Gyruda, Doom of Depths
    3 Massacre Wurm

Mar 2007

Magister of Worth only puts creatures into play if your opponent votes for it as well, otherwise it nukes the entire board except itself. That combo doesn't work.

Sep 2011

You can't play Chancellors.

Thread Information