Thread: [EDH] Demonlord Belzenlok - Demon Tribal

[EDH] Demonlord Belzenlok - Demon Tribal

For the hell of it, I wanted to make a demon tribal deck, and have Demonlord Belzenlok be thy profane commander. This is VERY MUCH a work in progress as this is just the first draft of the deck. The goal is for casual multiplayer/1 on 1 games, where I may be loaning out a deck to let some newer people play kind of thing. So I won't be putting mana crypts in here (unless they get super cheap with mystery booster cards) but I will be making the deck reasonably competitive for kitchen table standards. It has a long way to go but I'll start this here and if there are any glaring omissions, I'm open for suggestions.

39 Lands

22 Metalheads
    Those are the demons. Goal was to have a mix of splashy cards without having a horrible curve, hence why some of the smaller ones are in there (Grinning Demon for example). This may be the wrong way to go about it, so expect changes once the cards come in. Its tough for me to playtest with proxies. Fortunately this is very much a budget endeavor from a creature standpoint.

36 Other Cards

Quick notes - The mana base is lacking cards like Cabal Coffers, Lake of the Dead, and so forth. Dark rit/Cabal rit are probably useless in this deck, and Exhume is likely a bad idea in a creature based format. Those will be cut, likely for more bad dudes, more protection/removal, and card filtering. Note - with the current curve the Dark Prince Belzenlok "draws" a fair amount of cards when cast, so late game (as long as I can get him in play) there isn't much of an issue refilling the hand, it's just being able to cast stuff.
    Heartless Summoning is a MAJOR boost, however it doesn't play well with the token generators (which is why Bad moon is in there). There aren't nearly as many required sacrifice cards as I initially thought, so I'll reevaluate and see if that is still necessary. If not that will open up 3 more slots. I thought about going the Shadowborn Apostle route, but I didn't feel like taking up that many slots, plus the impact of any one Demon wasn't particularly worth it. Plus, removal and all that.

So, right now the plan is to board wipe until I can start flooding with evasive fatties and win in the air. There are some glaring omissions right now, but bear with me as it comes together. I find this posting format helps tremendously with that.
    Last edited by ronco; 05-31-2020 at 12:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Re: [EDH] Demonlord Belzenlok - Demon Tribal

Cards to consider:
    Blood Speaker
    Rite of Belzenlok
    Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath
    Sanguine bond + a card to sac creatures and drain for their power, or something to that effect. Something like a flipped Arguels blood fast, but without the difficult flip constraint.

editing to add:
    Diamond Valley (if i win the powerball)
    Miren, the Moaning Well
    Life chisel
    Disciple of Griselbrand
    Rite of Consumption
    Consuming Vapors
    Severed Strands
    Disciple of Bolas
    Last edited by ronco; 04-22-2020 at 05:48 PM.
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

First edit:
    - Bad moon
    + Demonic Tutor

Next edit:
    - Lili, heretical healer
    + Lashwrithe
    Last edited by ronco; 04-24-2020 at 03:54 PM.

Removed:
    Breeding Pit
    Cabal Ritual
    Dark ritual
    inner demon
    demon of catastrophes

added
    Vraska's Contempt
    Archdemon of Paliano
    Razaketh's Rite
    Herald of Torment
    archfiend of ifnir

archdemon is just a 5/4 flyer for 4, no other reason
    2 rituals were basically useless if not in the opening hand. Token producers will get the axe as the deck gets more streamlined. As of now, I will not be going the upkeep sacrifice route. Plus a BB upkeep cost really hurts the curve anyway.
    Inner Demon/Herald swap was because I put the wrong card in there. While it's good to wipe weenies, chances are If i am in that position i won't have a creature out to cast it, so ritual/damnation/deluge/decree all work pretty well here anyway.
    Last edited by ronco; 04-25-2020 at 04:47 PM.

Removed:
    Swamp x3
    Gilded Lotus
    Exhume
    bitterblossom

Added
    Bojuka Bog
    Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath
    Price of Fame
    Rite of Belzenlok
    Lake of the Dead
    Caged Sun

We'll see hwo caged sun works out. Might be too much mana. Gauntlet of power is possibly a cheaper sub but I believe it helps opponents too. Also looking into Coalition Relic and Skull of Ramos. The former is better but the latter sounds cooler!
    Last edited by ronco; 04-27-2020 at 07:26 PM.

Minor update

out:
    Rite of Belzenlok
    Abhorrent overlord
    Master of the Feast
    Liege of the pit
    in:
    Demonic Rising
    Archfiend of Spite
    Hero's Downfall
    Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis

Rite/Abhorrent didn't fit into the deck since i'm not doing a sacrifice theme. Rising still makes creatures like the Saga, and Archfiend is the same CMC as Overlord, so the curve is pretty much in tact and with better removal/less risk of a blowout i think.
    Master is too much of a liability, so i slotted in removal instead.
    Lieve - same as rite/abhorrent above. Cute with whip of erebos, but otherwise not really important anymore. Plus my foil is SUPER warped, so that also played into the logic haha. Nefarox helps the curve slightly. Can possibly act as removal or mini pump. Both plus sides. Only thing I'm really losing here is trample, which is great with Lashwrithe or Hatred, but it is what it is. Hatred isn't in yet, but its going to be at some point.

Also looking to add a worn powerstone or other smaller rocks. I need more early plays and also need to make sure I have enough cards CMC<4 to stop Belzenlok from killing me when I cast him.

Without my sacrificers, Abyssal Persecutor becomes a potentially larger liability, but it hasn't given me any problems yet. I'll probably fix that with my mana base down the line (Phyrexian Tower, etc).

in:
    Hatred
    Bolas's Citadel

Out:
    Archfiend of Ifnir
    Necropolis Fiend

Both outies didn't really contribute much for their cost, especially Fiend. Not sure bolas citadel is the right answer, but we'll test it out.

Thread Information