Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So who here is going to drop legacy for Pre-War legacy?

So who here is going to drop legacy for Pre-War legacy?

Underworld Breach, Wrenn and Six, 3eferi, Oko, Veil of Summer, but most egregiously the Companions are a breaking point.

Magic is power creeping too damn much and too damn fast. Defeats the point of an eternal format if you have to revamp or outright scrap your deck for a new meta every month. Companions completely change the nature of deck building itself and unless they ban all companions and promise not to print any more, I see no reason to continue with legacy, modern or pioneer.

My friends and I decided to leave legacy for a version of legacy before WoTC ramped power creep to 11. We are leaning towards jumping into Legacy as it was right before War of the Spark released as this allows for the largest number of cards while leaving most of worst mistakes of recent set design behind.

Is anyone else here making the switch? If not, is there an alternate format that you prefer? I heard mention of a preInnistrad format so if you think thats a better format, you can sell us on that.

May 2015
    PDX

Re: So who here is going to drop legacy for Pre-War legacy?

Name one deck that competes by playing 3-4x Astro and 0x Oko. Ban Oko and you tank Teferi use, Astro use, Veil use and Uro use. (UWR Mentor is, like every Mentor deck, inherently 2.5)

While I don't intend to drop (yet), I totally understand your point. Not sure where this is all going, and we'll see if it stands the test of time, but for now, I'm staying the course and trying to see things from positive perspective...

That said, my biggest mtg passion in recent years has been Premodern (also vintage, but I'm afraid it's facing similar problems as legacy). It may just be the thing you are looking for... https://premodernmagic.com/

I like the companions a lot, and lurrus definitely goes within 2 months. They just need to sell their stock first. However, Pre-Inn is very fun too. You don't need to choose just one...
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

bruizar

I still stand by Trinity. It makes Yorion a much worst card and Lurrus will get the axe anyway.

As for alternative formats, I've also been thinking of a no-supplemental sets format. The following cards would be illegal:

* True Name Nemesis
    * Arcum's Astrolabe
    * Force of Negation
    * Scavenging Ooze
    * Recruiter of the Guard
    * Baleful Strix
    * Lorescale Coatl
    * Palace Jailer
    * Containment Priest
    * Council's Judgment
    * Hogaak Arisen Necropolis
    * Urza, Lord high Artificer
    * Dead of Winter
    * Leovold Emissary of Trest
    * Dack Fayden
    * Retrofitter Foundry
    * Force of Vigor
    * Wrenn & Six
    * Collector Ouphe
    * Giver of Runes
    * Goblin Engineer
    * Sanctum Prelate
    * Arena Rector
    * Sevinne's Reclamation
    * Prismatic Vista
    * Flusterstorm
    * Titania, Protector of Argoth
    * Fiery Confluence
    * Coercive Portal
    * Scroll of Fate
    * Shardless Agent
    * etc
    [edit]
    * Imperial Recruiter
    * Goblin Settler
    * Grim Tutor

Most importantly: If they want to break eternal with broken new cards, force them to break standard too. Breaking standard too often will cause player attrition in their bread-and-butter format so they will be more careful with standard. WOTC can get away with any form of power creep in Battlebond or Modern Horizons as it won't affect standard's health and therefore the company's bottom line.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Does this also apply to portal cards and others that were never in standard? Imperial recruiter, grim tutor, Goblin settler?
    -rob

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    Does this also apply to portal cards and others that were never in standard? Imperial recruiter, grim tutor, Goblin settler?
    Yes, I think that's the most elegant and easy to remember rule which is important when explaining the format to other people.

It would also be in the spirit of that format to ban the Companion mechanic as it makes the format look like Commander and all the Commander legal supplemental sets are banned.

Not interested in splintering the format into a bunch of small variant playgroups that can't be played competitively on MTGO and aren't sanctioned in paper

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    Underworld Breach, Wrenn and Six, 3eferi, Oko, Veil of Summer, but most egregiously the Companions are a breaking point. Magic is power creeping too damn much and too damn fast.
    Dude, I played Magic during Mirrodin block. This isn't Mirrodin block.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

This is the B&R thread but with extra steps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

If this devolves into another ban thread, I'll lock it up. As long as its just a discussion about the future of Legacy, it should be fine.

For now the only option is to wait it out. Nobody is playing paper magic tournaments right now, so when gatherings are allowed again we'll see if there is enough support to continue the format in paper.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

The amount of hypothetical Nostalgia Formats is almost innumerable.

If you think this one really has legs, go for it. Personally, I'll take something of the churn though over the stagnation. Obviously I want something in between, but I think Wizards has pretty clearly staked out the territory, it either is the deluge or the desert.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    For now the only option is to wait it out. Nobody is playing paper magic tournaments right now, so when gatherings are allowed again we'll see if there is enough support to continue the format in paper.
    We all know the answer to the support question, unfortunately.

The more pressing concern is how many game stores survive, given their effectively obsolete financial model.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Name one deck that competes by playing 3-4x Astro and 0x Oko. Ban Oko and you tank Teferi use, Astro use, Veil use and Uro use. (UWR Mentor is, like every Mentor deck, inherently 2.5)
    I don't know about tanking the playability of those other very powerful cards just because Oko gets banned. All of those were pretty playable (besides Uro obviously) before Oko came around
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Painter.

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Here's a format idea:

Legacy but no companions or plainswalkers.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Captain Hammer, I recommend playing what's available and what you like. If you want to push an offshoot of Legacy, go for it. Legacy will go through a number of changes for as long as it remains a format, and some of those phases might be appealing. If they aren't, we can explore other card pools. I've had plenty of good times with Old School and Hextended, and I imagine I would enjoy a Pre-War format or a Pre-Innistrad format as well. As long as a format is varied, balanced, and interesting, it's probably fun to play.

Aug 2008
    Slovenia

I feel you man. i've for the most part stopped playing Legacy and switched to Premodern over a year ago. Premodern games have way more of the "magic" of MtG that got me hooked in the first place. I miss a couple of cards I like, but overall I think the card pool is very well thought out and managed.

I just don't get the appeal of these closed formats. If you want to play a format that already been solved there's always chess.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    I just don't get the appeal of these closed formats. If you want to play a format that already been solved there's always chess.
    I think it's naive to think that Legacy has ever been anything but a solved format. Unsolved formats don't have pillars, and legacy definitely has pillars that the format wraps itself around. Sure it changes on occasion, but ideally over a long progression of time that means more decks are becoming viable to adapt rather than fewer. If anything, I'm in the camp that I want Legacy to be solved for longer, rather than shorter, lengths of time. Every new set creates a massive shift with ensuing chaos. I'm all for new playable cards, cards that enable new combos, and ways of making games more interesting. I absolutely LOVE how Thassa's Oracle has brought Doomsday back into playability. It's awesome that Dreadhorde Arcanist has become a key threat in URx delver variants.

Now let's shift to the unhealthy changes: Underworld Breach, Lurrus, and even 'Oko' (which I will use as the name for the PW power creep.) Small Teferi, Karn the Great Creator, and Oko are three examples of PW's that were pushed to their absolute limit on mana efficiency-to-power ratio. Lurrus is included in between 55-75% (roughly) of decks that perform well currently. Underworld Breach warped the format into 'best deck + decks that hate it'.

If I were to summarize, I'd say Legacy players are mostly ok with a solved format, we just want that format to have as many options as possible.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Thread Information