Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keruga Stompy

Keruga Stompy

So, I posted this in the Eldrazi thread but think it's different enough for its own thread. I donated a list to ThrabenU which went 3-2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLB38jmgeeo&t=22s . Then DJ IZMA went 4-1 in a prelim plus 4-1 in a league https://twitter.com/djizma_mtg/statu...12738439180288 switching from GB to GR. Boncrusher/kozilek's return over dismember/toxic deluge. He cut some lands for serum powder too which I like, they ramp into Keruga then draw a card from him.

The idea is to use sol lands (including Eldrazi Temple) plus 8 spirit guides to help with the Keruga restriction. Leyline of the void combos with karn getting helm, draws from Keruga, plus lurrus of course. Might not be needed md once Lurrus goes.

Some other things which work well with the restriction include suspend cards, evoke, split cards but less good if you resolve 3sphere. I'm considering culling scales too.

This is DJ IZMA's list:

2 Reality Smasher
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Karn, the Great Creator
    4 bonecrusher giant
    3 serum powder
    4 blood sun
    1 chandra, awakened inferno

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    1 Cavern of Souls
    2 Eldrazi Temple
    4 Taiga
    4 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 forest
    1 mountain
    1 fire-lit thicket
    SB
    1 Keruga, the Macrosage
    1 Helm of Obedience
    1 Wurmcoil Engine
    1 Mycosynth Lattice
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    3 kozilek's return
    1 choke
    1 ensnaring bridge
    1 coalition relic
    1 liquimetal coating
    2 mindbreak trap

This is the version below I sent to ThrabenU, he changed -1 Matter Reshaper, -1 Tireless Tracker, -1 overgrown tomb, -1 eye of ugin +2 Crytalline Giant, +1 flooded grove, +1 city.

4 Matter Reshaper
    4 Reality Smasher
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Karn, the Great Creator
    3 Dismember
    1 Tireless Tracker

4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    1 Eye of Ugin
    4 Bayou
    4 Llanowar Wastes
    1 Overgrown Tomb

SB
    1 Keruga, the Macrosage
    1 Helm of Obedience
    1 Wurmcoil Engine
    1 Mycosynth Lattice
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Walking Ballista
    1 Tree of Tales
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Ratchet Bomb
    3 Null Rod
    3 Toxic Deluge
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Re: Keruga Stompy

So looking back at the stream Crytalline Giant was a lovely surprise. At first I thought it wasn't on Legacy powerlevel, but I'm glad I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by aedemiel View Post
    So looking back at the stream Crytalline Giant was a lovely surprise. At first I thought it wasn't on Legacy powerlevel, but I'm glad I was wrong.
    +1. I'm considering splurging on the mecha godzilla version.
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Linking to the prelim where DJIZMA went 4-1: https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...ary-2020-05-06.

Winter Maze

Sep 2011

The Eldrazi plan is cool, with maindeck Leyline (to hate on Lurrus), Eldrazi beatdown, and Grove tech for a triland.

The other direction I was thinking for Keruga was RUG with:
    Brazen Borrower
    Bonecrusher Giant
    Force of Will
    Oko, Thief of Crowns
    Propaganda
    Force of Negation
    Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath
    Fire // Ice
    (and still Spirit Guides and 3sphere)

It's more of a value plan than an Eldrazi Stompy plan, abusing pitch costs, adventure spells and split cards to have early interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    The Eldrazi plan is cool, with maindeck Leyline (to hate on Lurrus), Eldrazi beatdown, and Grove tech for a triland.

The other direction I was thinking for Keruga was RUG with:
    Brazen Borrower
    Bonecrusher Giant
    Force of Will
    Oko, Thief of Crowns
    Propaganda
    Force of Negation
    Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath
    Fire // Ice
    (and still Spirit Guides and 3sphere)

It's more of a value plan than an Eldrazi Stompy plan, abusing pitch costs, adventure spells and split cards to have early interaction.
    Do you think it would make sense to go for a more modern eldrazi stompy approach so that you can run lots of sol lands? Serum powder/eternal scourge seems like a good consistency tool

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Do you think it would make sense to go for a more modern eldrazi stompy approach so that you can run lots of sol lands? Serum powder/eternal scourge seems like a good consistency tool
    The interaction with Eternal Scourge and Serum Powder is good. If you're going to play a Sol Land deck that can't have lower than 3 cmc and runs Serum Powder, why not run Scourge for the potential free profit?

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    4 Grove
    other lands

8 Spirit Guide

4 Blood Sun
    4 3sphere
    3 Serum Powder

4 Karn

4 Eternal Scourge
    4 TKS
    4 Reality Shaper

You could even consider cutting red for more stable mana, just going Green-Colorless. You have potential prison pieces like Choke and City of Solitude, but they're not as back-breaking as turn 1 Blood Sun against a fetch/Waste/Karakas meta.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    The interaction with Eternal Scourge and Serum Powder is good. If you're going to play a Sol Land deck that can't have lower than 3 cmc and runs Serum Powder, why not run Scourge for the potential free profit?

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    4 Grove
    other lands

8 Spirit Guide

4 Blood Sun
    4 3sphere
    3 Serum Powder

4 Karn

4 Eternal Scourge
    4 TKS
    4 Reality Shaper

You could even consider cutting red for more stable mana, just going Green-Colorless. You have potential prison pieces like Choke and City of Solitude, but they're not as back-breaking as turn 1 Blood Sun against a fetch/Waste/Karakas meta.
    Scourge seems meh on it's own, could we squeeze food chain in here...hm.

Winter Maze

DJ IZMA how has four, 4-1's in a row: https://twitter.com/djizma_mtg/statu...095751683?s=19.

Winter Maze

Daily Keruga update, DJ IZMA went 4-2 in the KMC event, missing top 8 on breakers. You can see one round here, 3 hours 12 minutes: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/615572569 .

Winter Maze

Daily Keruga update, NathanLipetz on Twitch tried out a more prison focused list with bridges: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/616608402 .

Winter Maze

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

I don't think I would hate a new meta post-Lurrus of various Companion decks like this one, 80-100 card Yorion builds, a singleton Lutri deck, a random Obosh Red beatdown, Gyurda Combo, etc. If all the Companions don't get banned, curious if Zirda would be the new public enemy or if it'll simply just be a Tier one deck . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    I don't think I would hate a new meta post-Lurrus of various Companion decks like this one, 80-100 card Yorion builds, a singleton Lutri deck, a random Obosh Red beatdown, Gyurda Combo, etc. If all the Companions don't get banned, curious if Zirda would be the new public enemy or if it'll simply just be a Tier one deck . . .
    Zirda turboforge is basically impossible to beat without stoney silence/null rod, so I think it would become tier 0 unless everyone's sideboard is 4 null rod. It wins t1 and t15, and is insanely consistent.

I agree. I think people need to do a league with Keruga or Umori or Lutri or Obosh or Kaheera before discussing the 10 together. The next time you read a post about how intrinsically broken companions are replace the word "companion" with "Umori", .

Now more on topic, I think we've only scratched the surface on possibilities for Keruga. It's not my cup of tea but some blue stompy deck like FTW suggested could be good too, or possibly something truly wild.

Winter Maze

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

DJIZMA 5-0ed a Keruga Stompy deck yesterday https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...jizma_th_place

Updates to OP were: Klothys, God of Destiny & Shifting Ceratops, getting rid of Smashers and Powders and realizing the split cards CMC is the sum of both of their halves.

DJIZMA 5-0ed a Keruga Stompy deck yesterday https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...jizma_th_place

Updates to OP were: Klothys, God of Destiny & Shifting Ceratops, getting rid of Smashers and Powders and realizing the split cards CMC is the sum of both of their halves.
    Hippo Hype! I was waiting to get the companions in paper, now I will .

Winter Maze

Vote for DJ's new hippo list with cycle turtle https://twitter.com/djizma_mtg/statu...598431744?s=19!

Winter Maze

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    Vote for DJ's new hippo list with cycle turtle https://twitter.com/djizma_mtg/statu...598431744?s=19!
    That list is too spicy

ThrabenU went 4-1 with one of DJ Izma's post Lurrus lists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_d7EBF5jcQ.

Winter Maze

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    ThrabenU went 4-1 with one of DJ Izma's post Lurrus lists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_d7EBF5jcQ.
    This version of the deck desperately needs better ways to deal with Oko, especially given its abundance in the metagame.

Chaos Warp and Beast Within were already suggested (also Karn fetching Spyglass), but maybe there are still better solutions?

Thread Information