Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Companion Mechanic Video: Is it really that bad?

Re: Companion Mechanic Video: Is it really that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    The irony here is that they hired a bunch of "pros" as playtest team to exactly prevent post mistakes. Seems like their effect didn't last long.
    Sam Black is on record stating he told the design team companions was busted to hell and couldn't be printed as is. They didn't listen and did so anyway.

And I'm sure he isn't the first one to point out a mistake and they went ahead and printed it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Things looked reasonable around Dominaria - just to nuke everything with WAR walkers afterwards.

Standard seems to be pretty fucked by Companions as well and I wouldn't be surprised to see bannings down the line there as well. They'll just wait longer due to $$$.
    Standard getting overrun by cards isn't as big of a deal as they eventually leave the format. Then again, they've been banning stuff much more regularly in Standard over the last several years. I've been wondering how much of the increased ban frequency is because the cards are actually more problematic than unbanned cards in the past and how much is them just being faster to pull the trigger on it, irrespective of past cards not being banned.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytothen View Post
    Sam Black is on record stating he told the design team companions was busted to hell and couldn't be printed as is. They didn't listen and did so anyway.

And I'm sure he isn't the first one to point out a mistake and they went ahead and printed it anyway.
    That's interesting. Where did he say that?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    That's interesting. Where did he say that?
    Not going to lie I looked for it and couldn't find anything other than articles he wrote about it being the worse mechanic designed yet. I think a YouTuber I heard it on misspoke or I misunderstood because I'm the dumb.

Well, that SCG article of his was posted before most of the companions were spoiled I think. So he kind of did say they were broken before we actually knew the final list of companions, though Lurrus was already part of the discussion and he obviously wrote it at a time when the set was already finalized, so no time to react on WotC's part in that case.

Thread Information