Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fast and Teferius: Core Set 2021

Re: The Fast and Teferius: Core Set 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    That effect really needs to cost 2 if they want it to be fast enough to be effective against combo.

The obvious comparison is unmoored ego, and I think it has an edge because it's mono colored. Also the trade off here is a 2/2 or a card. You can also next-level yourself by letting them keep one or more copies in their hand if you're so scared of the ,
    2/2.
    So I'm thinking a role playing modern card.
    Better than ego when naming valakut, worse against combos with redundancy.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

It isn't an Uro, but reminds me of QB in terms of power creep:

Edit:

"See the Truth" 1U
    Sorcery (Rare)
    Look at the top three cards of your library. Choose one to put in your hand and others under your library in any order. If you cast this spell from anywhere else than your hand, put all cards in your hand.
    So you get a 2-mana Recall if you flash it back with Snapcaster? Even at Sorcery speed, this seems overall better than Accumulated Knowledge.

It isn't an Uro, but reminds me of QB in terms of power creep:

Edit:

So you get a 2-mana Recall if you flash it back with Snapcaster? Even at Sorcery speed, this seems overall better than Accumulated Knowledge.
    Also works well with Underworld Breach/LED. Or Past in Flames in Modern.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Cryptic Masterpiece

Artifact 2

T, Put a page counter on Cryptic Masterpiece: Scry 1.
    2, T, Put a page counter on Cryptic Masterpiece: Draw a card.
    Whenever Cryptic Masterpiece has four or more page counters on it, exile it. If you do, gain 4 life.

Anybody see potential for this?
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Seems expensive, at least in the context of Legacy. It needs to draw twice to get real CA since it does nothing on its own. Not a fan of this.

Seems expensive, at least in the context of Legacy. It needs to draw twice to get real CA since it does nothing on its own. Not a fan of this.
    Jayemdae Tome, formerly one of the best cards in Magic, sits quietly in a corner and cries.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

See the Truth seems really good with Snapcaster
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    See the Truth seems really good with Snapcaster
    I know it's moot, but could you imagine See the Truth with a Wrenn&6 ultimate?
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

May 2015
    PDX

Cryptic Masterpiece

Artifact 2

T, Put a page counter on Cryptic Masterpiece: Scry 1.
    2, T, Put a page counter on Cryptic Masterpiece: Draw a card.
    Whenever Cryptic Masterpiece has four or more page counters on it, exile it. If you do, gain 4 life.

Karn wishes from exile. Nesting Grounds also sustains. That said, it’s probably about equivalent to Treasure Map

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

I know it's moot, but could you imagine See the Truth with a Wrenn&6 ultimate?
    Actually, probably also very good with Shardless? It's another draw 3 alongside Ancestral Vision . . .

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Actually, probably also very good with Shardless? It's another draw 3 alongside Ancestral Vision . . .
    Chandra, ToD/Outpost Seige types. Karn wish Uba Mask. Red’s steal-caster mage.

Ok, this has gotta be good in burn right?

Mar 2007

T2 Fireblast, Incinerator is going to be pretty strong against a couple of decks. But as long as Oko remains legal in Legacy, it isn't much more than a glorified Elk.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

actually this makes rift bolt really cool.

t1 suspend rift bolt. t2 bolt, play this guy. i'm still going to t1 goblin guide over rift bolt, but it's interesting that it's an option. it's also really cool with eidolon. if this guy is in play and they brainstorm, you can kill a delver for free.

i think it's easily worth a test. it doesn't add a ton of value against non-creature decks.
    -rob

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Bolts reduce its cost by 3 with a floor of R, meaning unless you play acceleration which Burn doesn't usually, this is a turn 3 play (2 burn spells plus this guy for RRR) . . . even with Turn 1 Rift Bolt you need another bolt spell to get this guy into play. If you assume that he replaces a bolt then he breaks even on the next bolt (Without him, 2 cards -> 6 damage. With him 2 cards -> 6 damage) you're only reaping the benefits on the second bolt you cast after he comes out. So on a straight up burn deck it will only be better than another bolt in this exact scenario:

Turn 1 - Mountain - Rift Bolt
    Turn 2 - Mountain - Bolt, Chandra's Incinerator
    Turn 3 - [Mountain] - Bolt, Bolt/Fireblast

Or you can cast him and follow up with a Fireblast the turn it enters into play but that only gains you 1 extra point of damage instead of a bolt. You might get bigger dividends with Price of Progress?

Mar 2007

T1 Seal of Fire + any T2 one mana 3 damage spell enables it as well. Not that Burn would normally run Seal of Fire, just saying. We'll see how busted this thing really is going to be.

Village Rites
    Instant
    As an addition cost to cast this spell, sacrifice a creature.
    Draw two cards.
    Skulltap has become pretty efficient over time. Since it's an instant, you can play it in response to removal, essentially giving you +1 CA over your opponent. Also pretty silly with Veteran Explorer. Combos with Snapcaster and Young Pyromancer. I'd keep an eye on that one.

T1 Seal of Fire + any T2 one mana 3 damage spell enables it as well. Not that Burn would normally run Seal of Fire, just saying. We'll see how busted this thing really is going to be.

Skulltap has become pretty efficient over time. Since it's an instant, you can play it in response to removal, essentially giving you +1 CA over your opponent. Also pretty silly with Veteran Explorer. Combos with Snapcaster and Young Pyromancer. I'd keep an eye on that one.
    I think that people are also completely discounting that once it's in play, it doubles all of the damage spells you cast until it's dealt with.

May 2015
    PDX

One thing to note about YP is that if you sac YP, you will not get a token by casting this spell. This was not an uncommon mistake with Mentor and Cabal Therapy when people were playing Esper Mentor years back.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post
    I think that people are also completely discounting that once it's in play, it doubles all of the damage spells you cast until it's dealt with.
    It just doesn't.
    With him in play a Bolt to the face is 3 free damage to a creature or Planeswalker, which is great if they have a creature or a Planeswalker. Otherwise, it's a Bolt to the face. Nothing is being doubled.
    It's disingenuous like saying Searing Blaze deals 6 damage with Landfall. Sure 3+3=6, but if they're at 5 do I win the game?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Thread Information