Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fast and Teferius: Core Set 2021

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Re: The Fast and Teferius: Core Set 2021

@BenBleiweiss - it doubles all the damage spells but you're only gaining its benefits only on and after the second bolt you cast after he lands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post
    I think that people are also completely discounting that once it's in play, it doubles all of the damage spells you cast until it's dealt with.
    It doesn't hit players.
    I thought it did too.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    It doesn't hit players.
    I thought it did too.
    Ah . . . wow. . . missed that too . . .

So, as far as Legacy goes, the red creature is a fail, right? It seems a fail. From a ridiculous casting cost and gimmick reducer, to the limited actual ability. 6/6 trample is nice, but no haste. So as stated previously, removal/nerf bait, thanks for playing.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    So, as far as Legacy goes, the red creature is a fail, right? It seems a fail. From a ridiculous casting cost and gimmick reducer, to the limited actual ability. 6/6 trample is nice, but no haste. So as stated previously, removal/nerf bait, thanks for playing.
    Come now man, it’s clearly already a staple in Vial Smasher the Fierce decks. This new creature basically casts itself.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post
    Ok, this has gotta be good in burn right?
    Even with it not hitting players, this is Satyr Firedancer with a broader effect plus a capable body. It hits like a truck and makes it so you can aim all your burn at your opponent's face. I think it could very well be relevant in some Burn matchups.

Edit: though it now came to me the idea that this could be pretty good in some modified Red Prison list. Imagine it paired with Chandra, Torch of Defiance or Sulfuric Vortex. You will be shocking creatures every turn for no cost, which sounds brutal.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

anyone else excited about 1W exile target planeswalker? not crazy that miracles gets another tool, but it's good to have some options.
    -rob

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    anyone else excited about 1W exile target planeswalker? not crazy that miracles gets another tool, but it's good to have some options.
    I don’t think it’s all that much better than Tale's End (unplayed) when it comes to gunning right at a PW. You can’t really use either Tale’s End or this new card this over CJ and have the relevant interaction you need in this format. Oko can tank TNN usage, but the card still has to be respected. The slots you’re talking about need that dual function of TNN-killer and PW killer in one; and they’ve got really strong competition [Pyroblast/REB].

You let Oko resolve and you just lost whatever not-Oko PW you had in play. Honestly this effect needs to say “counter target ability of a PW, then exile the PW.”

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    It's a bit more than that.

1W Instant
    Exile target creature or planeswalker, it's controller creates a 4/4 flying angel token.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

It's good - it's removal and you can target your own doomed PW for an angel . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    It's good - it's removal and you can target your own doomed PW for an angel . . .
    Finally a playable fog!

It doesn't hit players.
    I thought it did too.
    I should RTFC :(

https://mythicspoiler.com/m21/cards/pursuedwhale.html
    From hell's depths i cast at +three!

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Chandra's Incinerator probably vies for Monastery Swiftspear's spot in Burn. I'm definitely going to test it.

https://mythicspoiler.com/m21/cards/pursuedwhale.html
    From hell's depths i cast at +three!
    Now I can finally legitimately bring my harpoon to a game.

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Chandra's Incinerator probably vies for Monastery Swiftspear's spot in Burn. I'm definitely going to test it.
    Ultimately, it's a bit of meeh because it has no protection from anything. It's boom-boom-cast creature - daze / fow / path / elk it. At least with the swift girl you get some points of damage 90% of the time.

This spell costs 2U less to cast if you have cast an instant or sorcery this turn.

Flying

Prowess

When ~ enters the battlefield, scry 2.

Aug 2019
    Berlin | Canberra | NYC

Quote Originally Posted by jmlima View Post
    Ultimately, it's a bit of meeh because it has no protection from anything.
    Unlike all other Burn creatures it has "protection" from Bolt, Decay, and Push, and if it gets Elked they effectively lost 3 life (Food) and spent 3 mana while you still got a 3/3 for R.

That Stormwing thing goes into UR Delver Phoenix for Pteramander. Gut Shot can T2 this. And the Scry sets up upkeep Thought Scour to bin a Bird.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Tobitzki View Post
    Unlike all other Burn creatures it has "protection" from Bolt, Decay, and Push, and if it gets Elked they effectively lost 3 life (Food) and spent 3 mana while you still got a 3/3 for R.

That Stormwing thing goes into UR Delver Phoenix for Pteramander. Gut Shot can T2 this. And the Scry sets up upkeep Thought Scour to bin a Bird.
    Manamorphose can also set it up on T2.

Given how there are various, easy ways to set up Incinerator, I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually became a new staple in Burn.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by jmlima View Post
    Ultimately, it's a bit of meeh because it has no protection from anything. It's boom-boom-cast creature - daze / fow / path / elk it. At least with the swift girl you get some points of damage 90% of the time.
    All of those cards didn't stop Tarmogoyf from being incredible, and this is a potential 6/6 for R, enabled by doing what you were going to do anyways. I think Incinerator is a trap if you try to fill your deck with Rite of Flame (etc) to enable it, but if you are playing lands and bolts on-curve you are getting a 6/6 trampler for R. I mean jesus-fucking-Christ, this is the easiest no-brainer good card out of the set. Are we actually saying a trampling 6/6 for functionally 1 mana: 'meh, probably not good enough'? I expect the old 'it can get countered or dies to removal' argument from Standard players, but I didn't expect it from TheSource.

Pros
    1 - It outclasses Gurmag Angler
    2 - most of the time it will outclass Tarmogoyf
    3 - it has trample, so it outclasses True Name Nemesis
    4 - it's a fucking 6/6 that can't be hit by Abrupt Decay, Fatal Push, or Lightning Bolt
    5 - if it's Elk-ed it's still a 3/3 for R, which is still a Wild Nacatl.
    6 - It also allows your Lava Spike and Chain Lightning to act as removal spells, while still dealing 3 damage.

Cons

1 - it doesn't choke me or pull my hair while it's fucking me. Boo! No good!
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Thread Information