Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fast and Teferius: Core Set 2021

The Flash and Teferius: Core Set 2021

Spoilers begin the 4th of June. Leaks begin today:

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/co...m_source=share
    Last edited by FourDogsinaHorseSuit; 06-05-2020 at 02:42 PM.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: The Fast and Teferius: Core Set 2021

I sure can't wait for the next hyper-pushed set sellers that are going to break every format.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    I sure can't wait for the next hyper-pushed set sellers that are going to break every format.
    Don't worry, the bean counters at Hasbro will see declining sales and order The Coward Maro to change course and then we'll have sets of unplayable but the covid sets will still be playable but unopened and we'll be paying 40 bucks for this sets Misha's bauble/unezawa's jitte

My "uncle at Nintendo" resources are telling me that were getting a Smother that hits Planeswalkers too.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    My "uncle at Nintendo" resources are telling me that were getting a Smother that hits Planeswalkers too.
    Abrupt Decay and Trophy couldn't make a dent into Oko usage. I doubt that a more narrow card with a slightly easier mana cost would help alot, considering decks right now could easily run those BG cards with little punishment due to Astrolabe.

And outside of Teferi, who is going to rotate soon anyway, what Standard-legal PWs could it hit that mattered?

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Elderspell is basically unplayable so even smother for walkers is probably bad. You'd need to tack on some advantage like B1, kill creature or Walker with 4 CMC or less, if walker killed this way draw a card. Or something like that. Otherwise it's just not flexible enough and not enough upside
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Elderspell is basically unplayable so even smother for walkers is probably bad. You'd need to tack on some advantage like B1, kill creature or Walker with 4 CMC or less, if walker killed this way draw a card. Or something like that. Otherwise it's just not flexible enough and not enough upside
    Exactly my thoughts. Walkers can instantly create an advantage nowadays - so even if you remove them, you fall behind.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

Walkers continue to be a huge mistake
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
    Walkers continue to be a huge mistake
    I think 'Walkers are fine in theory, it's just they've pushed so many of them well past the threshold for balance. If they highest end of 'Walker power was something like the six mana Sorin or OG Elspeth or Garruk, they'd be fine. But the power level is so high that it's just kind of a joke now.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

Walkers would be okayish if they costed mana to activate. The whole mechanic is just antimagic

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Agreed, creatures shouldn't need to compete with walkers.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    Agreed, creatures shouldn't need to compete with walkers.
    They don't really, walkers are clearly better by and large. Literally the only thing creatures have going for them is some lower CMC's and a bigger selection to choose from.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

Walkers are enchantments on crack with upkeep costs of +life. And protection of 14yrs of magic

What if a creature got to etb each turn, or risk not etb next turn to etb more powerfully this turn.
    Oh and if it etbs enough you just win the game.

But they were introduced in, what? Lorwyn and yet dreadbore wasn't printed until RTR five years later.

Dreadbore should be an instant, like terminate. But that would be too OP, since it isn't also awesome.

/rant

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    Dreadbore should be an instant, like terminate. But that would be too OP, since it isn't also awesome.

/rant

Would be mythic then though

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post

/rant
    Even then, most Walkers instantly generate CA once they ETB and you can't prevent that aside from countering them (or the activated ability). Since the trend is towards more cheaper, aggressively costed Walkers (like W&6 or Oko), there's even little to no real tempo advantage in killing them.

The Elderspell had the right idea, but the execution was ass, as it was too slow and too narrow. Until we get removal that can overcome that card disadvantage and isn't extremely slow and narrow, nothing is going to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Even then, most Walkers instantly generate CA once they ETB and you can't prevent that aside from countering them (or the activated ability). Since the trend is towards more cheaper, aggressively costed Walkers (like W&6 or Oko), there's even little to no real tempo advantage in killing them.

The Elderspell had the right idea, but the execution was ass, as it was too slow and too narrow. Until we get removal that can overcome that card disadvantage and isn't extremely slow and narrow, nothing is going to change.
    I disagree on the premise that an opponent playing a walker and getting a chance to use a loyalty ability isn't the problem if an instant can kill it in response. This turns a PW into an effective sorcery, or that creature that ETB then dies. The advantage in killing the PW is the stopping of continued CA. I have no problem with someone casting a Karn as a 4 mana generic wish, or an Oko to nerf a creature/create a food token.

May 2015
    PDX

Walkers should all have summoning sickness. It’s the least they could do since their abilities don’t cost mana.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Walkers should all have summoning sickness. It’s the least they could do since their abilities don’t cost mana.
    They do and anyone who's played a Gideon can tell you

Thread Information