Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fast and Teferius: Core Set 2021

May 2015
    PDX

Re: The Fast and Teferius: Core Set 2021

It’s a Pyromancer’s Goggles you can’t grab out of a SB with Karn (so you don’t have to draw it).

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
    I think phasing is likely to come back, being og teferis signature move.

this teferi is just another fake though.

its interesting both fakes have the extra turn ultimate.
    Probably fake indeed but, interestingly, the original article had one of those mobile phone images of the actual card. The image has also disappeared, of course with photoshop anything is possible.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

It's interesting to see that WotC is finally shifting away from Maro's stupid stance that white shouldn't be able to get fresh cards somehow. Yet his influence is still heavily seen to gimp them as much as possible "to fit the color pie". Other recent examples are Cartographer's Hawk and Verge Rangers.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by jmlima View Post
    Probably fake indeed but, interestingly, the original article had one of those mobile phone images of the actual card. The image has also disappeared, of course with photoshop anything is possible.
    The biggest likely tell is that the picture has it, one as card #35, which means somehow there are either almost no White cards, or almost no Blue cards. Second, it is extended art and those are numbered as XXX/___, not as 035/204. Not to mention, there aren't 204 cards in the set, there are 274. It is pretty much as fake as can be.

The text leak might be real though, the version with abilities that can be played as Instants.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

May 2015
    PDX

If that new Teferi is real, they need to undo their “fix” to phasing, as it should exile tokens. It also represents a unique opportunity to take that random command zone and staple it to the battlefield (two half-zones in one overall zone). Kinda makes sense since your commander is kinda like on the battlefield (like in a general tent behind the lines); so too do we have battlefield’y things to keep track of like emblems.

The benefit is that supposedly complex mechanics make total sense:
    -if a token attempts to go from the battlefield to the command zone it ceases to exist.
    -if a creature is in combat then goes to the command zone, then comes back to battlefield in that same combat, it’s removed from combat.
    -if a card goes from battlefield to command zone, it is reduced to printed characteristics only (continuous effects end).

^everyone knows these rules, so just run those things you know through two half-zones in same overall zone:
    -tokens exiled, check
    -removed from combat, check
    -same object, yes (still in same overall zone). This also explains why summoning sickness does not re-appear on same object. This also explains how cards come back into phase as what they left as (continuous effects will resume, as it’s same object).

Now there is indirect phasing too, but that’s pretty easy to understand once you get the above scenario. Very easy way to simplify the rules, align the flavor of the command zone with the battlefield, and easily explain phasing. We call phasing a “static ability” but it works exactly like a half-zone change (because that’s how it was originally designed).

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I don't see that happening, since they changed the rule explicitly to stop tokens from being Exiled. Because Phasing is not a zone change at all, it is a state.

In any case, the stream is live, the show should start in about 5 minutes or so.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I don't see that happening, since they changed the rule explicitly to stop tokens from being Exiled. Because Phasing is not a zone change at all, it is a state.
    Yes, you have the option to memorize ~20 random rules about phasing....or you can get to the right answer every time by understanding it’s secretly a half-zone change. Thing is that the command zone should be stapled to the battlefield as a half-zone, because it makes sense.

Phasing was brought into the game as a zone change, and that’s why it operates like one. Calling it a state doesn’t change the history. Tapping and untapping is a state too, strange that phasing in and out is also a state but waffling between tap/untap doesn’t remove from combat, but phasing in/out does....almost like it’s not actually a state ;)

There’s also this little issue of what “state” means, namely that object A assumes a new state and is now object A with a new status - specifically that means is that object A is staying in the same overall zone, and thus did not become a new object. “State” does not mean an overall zone can’t be comprised of two halves through which an object can travel without becoming a new object.
    Last edited by Fox; 06-05-2020 at 12:00 PM.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Yes, you have the option to memorize ~20 random rules about phasing....or you can get to the right answer every time by understanding it’s secretly a half-zone change. Thing is that the command zone should be stapled to the battlefield as a half-zone, because it makes sense.
    No, I'm not doing all this over again, thanks.

I don't agree with you assuptions, or conclusions. And this is not the thread for it anyway.

Mar 2007

Spoiler stream:

https://www.twitch.tv/magic

Ugin confirmed, Azusa is back, also Grim Tutor (WTF?).

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Very happy about Grim Tutor, one of the few cards I don't own.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Mar 2007

Getting it countered is going to hurt. Good casting cost for Workshop decks. Vial also lets you get around the discard cost. Might be cool.

Edit:
    A fucking CatDog:

Containment Priest is also Modern-legal now (terrible art, though):

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Getting it countered is going to hurt. Good casting cost for Workshop decks. Vial also lets you get around the discard cost. Might be cool.
    Good points. Might be something as a one-of for D&T maybe? Or Esper Vial?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Mar 2007

Good points. Might be something as a one-of for D&T maybe? Or Esper Vial?
    We'll see how playable it's going to be. The beauty about vialing it in is that you should have 3-4 mana available to instantly start eating walkers. If you vial it in EoT of your opponent's turn, you should have enough mana to even eat Okos if you include the untap step. Not really mana-efficient, but better than nothing.

May 2015
    PDX

Masticore looks like the best thing you can be doing against Oko (without playing Oko) so that’s nice...but the level of power creep required to hold down Oko is pretty egregious. The indestructible clause really shouldn’t be on there, but printing Ice-Fang was such a mistake that you need to attack that card to get to Oko, and the 4th point of toughness needed to bat away elks. WotC continues to back themselves into a design corner.

Contrast to Phyrexian War Beast and also to last set with Crystalline Giant.

Look, my giant black lab and my tiny little kitten are best friends. I am 100% making a playing a Rin and Seri deck. I strongly suspect I am not alone in this. #DogCat 4 lyfe.

EDIT: I think the return of Phasing is a huge mistake that they will regret, but whatevs, at least it's not Banding. I mean, seriously, you can do this but you can't bring back the "Bury" keyword?

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Look, my giant black lab and my tiny little kitten are best friends. I am 100% making a playing a Rin and Seri deck. I strongly suspect I am not alone in this. #DogCat 4 lyfe.

EDIT: I think the return of Phasing is a huge mistake that they will regret, but whatevs, at least it's not Banding. I mean, seriously, you can do this but you can't bring back the "Bury" keyword?
    Cants and dogs, living together!
    Mass hysteria!

Thread Information