Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: B.L.A.S.T. (GB Lantern)

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Re: B.L.A.S.T. (GB Lantern)

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    That was always my skepticism of Lantern Control making it in Legacy, and it looks like your testing validated that.
    I agree, his testing results, as small as they are, really question the validity of a non-blue/non-Chalice prison deck.

Legacy just has better cantrips and tutors to break the lock, so even when you have everything assembled the potential ceiling is lower than what it can do in Modern. Then there's also FoW, Daze, Chalice and Oko to just break the combo. Modern is a creature-heavier format that basically can't beat Ensnaring Bridge as long as you can stop them from drawing some specific cards.
    You're reinforcing where my testing has led me: is Bridge good enough to be a legacy playable build-around? If not, the deck is unplayable. Lantern lock is really to prevent opponent's from answering Bridge.

I wonder if it would work better in a blue shell with Teferi, Time Raveler to lock the opponent out of instant-speed interactions and/or Narset, Parter of Veils to stop card draw.

Lantern-Echo

//Artifacts: 20
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    3 Lotus Petal
    3 Mox Opal
    4 Lantern of Insight
    4 Codex Shredder
    2 Ghoulcaller's Bell

//Planeswalkers: 8
    4 Narset, Parter of Veils
    4 Karn, the Great Creator

//Creatures: 7
    4 Emry, Lurker of the Loch
    3 Urza, Lord High Artificer

//Spells: 8
    4 Force of Will
    4 Echo of Eons

//Lands: 17
    3 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Seat of the Synod
    8 Snow-Covered Island

//Karnboard: 6
    1 Mycosynth Lattice
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Liquimetal Coating
    1 Wurmcoil Engine
    1 Walking Ballista

Emry has natural synergy with the mill rocks as a source of recursion and card advantage. Echo also has synergy with mill rocks.
    I like all of that except Echo/LED. I think once you establish that combination of cards its better to just win, such as with a combo deck of some sort.

Edit: Oops, already suggested something like this on the 1st page and you don't want to play blue.
    No problem, I opened up the conversation for blue again with my above post. It's a valuable re-hash.

I really like Emry, that seems like a decent starting point if this is going to work. The Antiquities War, Jace TMS, and Narset POV all add quite a bit of power to the deck as well. I'm not sure about the interaction of War with Bridge; if it allows it to turn off Bridge for a turn while I swing for a bunch, that would be awesome. If Bridge is still active when the 3rd part of War resolves then it's a bust.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You're reinforcing where my testing has led me: is Bridge good enough to be a legacy playable build-around? If not, the deck is unplayable. Lantern lock is really to prevent opponent's from answering Bridge.
    I would say no for Bridge, but yes to Karn, the Great Creator (which can also find Bridge if it needs to, or just get Lattice).

Karn is powerful enough in Legacy to be a build-around. If you can use Lantern lock and other tools to prevent them from answering Karn, Karn will quickly take over the game.

Emry and Narset can help you get there.

If you don't play FoW, you probably want Defense Grid to shut off blue.

If you stay in green (or UG), you have access to Oko and Ancient Stirrings (which gets Karn).

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I would 100% play Force of Will, and likely Force of Negation x1-2 as well. I think if I want to pursue this, Karn is really the avenue along with Emry. Mono-blue is enticing, if only for the simplicity of the mana-base (which allows me to cheat something like Ancient Tomb in there for acceleration.) I can always play Brainstorm/Ponder in place of Stirrings.

Green does offer Oko, which might be necessary. With Narset and Jace in there alongside Karn the space is getting pretty thin, but I suppose Jace isn't an auto-include.

Rough list:
    4x Lantern
    4x Codex Shredder
    3x Ghoulcaller's Bell
    3x Mox Opal
    4x Lotus Petal
    5x OPEN (these should be artifacts to support Opal)
    4x Emry
    4x Karn
    2x Narset
    1x Jace TMS
    2x Antiquities War
    4x FoW
    2x FoNegation

4x Ancient Tomb
    4x Seat of the Synod
    1x Academy Ruins
    9x Island

(Same Karn-board)

I don't have LED's, and I'm a paper-only player (currently) so I don't really want to explore that direction.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Jun 2019
    USA

If you're going into blue Artificer's Intuition might be something worth looking at.

Sep 2011

Artificer's Intuition synergizes with Emry and also reshuffles your top card. Seems very strong.

You don't need LED anyway if you're not on the Echo plan.
    Last edited by FTW; 07-15-2020 at 06:51 PM.

I wouldn’t give up on your build after a single bad league. Magic has a lot of variance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    What do you think about re-tooling into a blue-deck like the earlier posts of the thread? Maybe even something with Urza.
    Edit: Oops, already suggested something like this on the 1st page and you don't want to play blue.
    Hehe

Anyways, I do think that Oko is a big problem for the deck, especially since he's so prevalent in the format. Moving Needle to 4 could help against that (plus it has some sort of utility in almost every matchup anyways, so it won't necessarily be a dead card). I feel like blue matchups are probably only good when we see the early Ashiok.

The blue direction does seem interesting, I really like Emry. A few thoughts:

- For Safety's list, the 5x open to support Opal should probably include some needles. It might also be worth keeping some bridges in the main as a 1-2of.
    - Really like the inclusion of Karn, having a win button with Lattice is nice. Narset also seems strong.

That being said, I still think the previous avenue is worth exploring (or maybe I just really like the idea of the depths sideboard lol). I agree with Birds that it isn't worth giving up after a single league. I'd definitely up the number of needles though and maybe the number of direct removal for oko (so maybe add in more Decays?) since we need a decent amount of removal for planeswalkers in general since thats the main avenue of attack we can't prevent with Bridge.

Alternatively, Wizards could just ban Oko :) Not saying that Oko is the only problem card for us or anything, but it is an easy answer and I imagine its prevalence probably makes a lot of matchups harder than they should be lol

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I won't scrap it just yet, but having another avenue to discuss keeps me from getting bored, lol.

I'm playing 3 Decay, 2 Needle right now for answers to Oko. I would also prioritize Oko with Thoughtseize. If I sideboard Depths, Hexmage is a pw sniper as well. It might be worth boarding Hexmage just for Oko, Depths or not.
    Brainstorm Realist

Sep 2011

Due to the low blue count, I think the deck cannot support 6 Forces main. Maybe 4 main and 1 more SB?

Artificer's Intuition would help allow maindeck 1-ofs like Pithing Needle. Soul-Guide Lantern and Engineered Explosives could be other appealing targets. Other options might be Tormod's Crypt, Aether Spellbomb, or Arcum's Astrolabe. You could even go deep with anti-creature tech like Meekstone.

//Artifacts: 22
    4 Mox Opal
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lantern of Insight
    4 Codex Shredder
    3 Ghoulcaller's Bell
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Soul-Guide Lantern
    1 Engineered Explosives

//Spells: 4
    4 Force of Will

//Creatures: 6
    4 Emry, Lurker of the Loch
    2 Urza, Lord High Artificer

//Planeswalkers: 6
    2 Narset, Parter of Veils
    4 Karn, the Great Creator

//Enchantments: 4
    2 Artificer's Intuition
    2 Antiquities War

//Lands: 18
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Seat of the Synod
    1 Academy Ruins
    9 Snow-Covered Island

Blue cards: 16
    Artifacts: 26 + more ways to dig into them

I still like Urza for giving you another win condition/engine and something to do with all those artifacts.

Throne of Geth could be interesting in the Karnboard. It proliferates planeswalkers, EE and AntWar. It can save artifacts from exile or Elking (to protect recursion engines).

Urza seems worth testing, wincons are definitely the main thing lantern decks need

I sort of wonder if it might be worth upping the Narset count to 3 or so, seems like a pivotal card vs. blue (and cantrips are our worst matchup).

Sep 2011

More Narsets seems good

With Bridge moved to the SB, both AntWar and Urza become powerful wincons. Maindeck Bridge is probably what limited wincons before.

More Narsets seems good

With Bridge moved to the SB, both AntWar and Urza become powerful wincons. Maindeck Bridge is probably what limited wincons before.
    That's true, although I don't think we'd find wincons like AntWar and Urza in B/G regardless lol. Although I will admit I did heavily consider the idea of some sort of slow-roll control depths at some point, until I realized I was just brewing a worse version of every other depths deck.

I think the issue with a lot of the wincons I tried/considered before (depths, painter stone, etc). is that they all sort of turned the deck into worse versions of the respective deck(s) they're actually good in. In the end we had to go with stuff like Cursed Scroll since the closest thing we could borrow from without sacrificing too much of the Lantern strategy was Pox. Urza and AntWar both slot in pretty easily without needing to think about it much

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I think the Depths plan makes the most sense, simply because of the incredible amount of overlap with Ancient Stirrings. It finds all of the combo pieces and incorporating a green instant (Crop Rotation) into the mix is easy. Hexmage even addresses Oko and other PW's.
    Brainstorm Realist

Thread Information