Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: B.L.A.S.T. (GB Lantern)

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Re: B.L.A.S.T. (GB Lantern)

It solves some problems, and nobody would suspect you of cutting bridge for Depths, its utter lunacy, lol. The real question becomes: does it solve fundamental problems? If it does, it's worth it.

I may just play Crop Rotation + utility lands anyways, depths or not, in the board. Lands are another colorless avenue that makes Stirrings better.
    Last edited by Mr. Safety; 06-11-2020 at 07:22 AM.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    It solves some problems, and nobody would suspect you of cutting bridge for Depths, its utter lunacy, lol. The real question becomes: does it solve fundamental problems? If it does, it's worth it
    it.

I may just play Crop Rotation + utility lands anyways, depths or not, in the board. Lands are another colorless avenue that makes Stirrings better.
    We definitely should run some utility lands even without crop rotation (although crop rotation could be a fine include). Wasteland isn't that good this meta anyways so we can maybe(?) expect the see less of it (the usual D&T crowd is probably going to continue running headfirst at Snowko anyways, but ah well).

I think it does solve the fundamental problem of being a win button. It also seems like it slots in the best with our shell. That being said, I do still think that painter/stone and maybe even some sort of self-mill are still avenues worth exploring, even if they don't look quite as promising (although I think painter-stone at least is definitely worth some testing).

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

If you test painter/stone, just keep an eye on sequencing. Painter makes all cards, even lands, colored. Stirrings will be a brick after Painter is on the battlefield.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Yeah, I definitely don't think I'd play it until I'm confident that I have the win.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

So I think this is what I would do for a transformational setup:

4x Dark Depths
    4x Thespian's Stage
    3x Crop Rotation
    1x Sejiri Steppe
    3x Vampire Hexmage

Out: -4 Bridge, -4 Wasteland, -2 Bitterblossom, -1 Meekstone, -1 Cursed Scroll, -2 Ghoulcaller's Bell, -1
    In: +4 Depths, +4 Stage, +3 Rotation, +1 Steppe, +4 Hexmage

That's a full swap of the 15. Depending on matchup, the Hymns could stay in the sideboard and I could keep in some number of Wasteland/Bitterblossom. I think against the 4C control matchups I would do the full swap. Against Yorion Miracles I would keep in the Bitterblossoms and instead cut some number of Dark Rituals. With this setup I would want to incorporate at least 2 copies of Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth maindeck to enable the combo easier. I am favoring Stage at 4 copies, HExmage at 3 because Stirrings finds the lands but not the creature. I think Wishclaw Talisman is a pretty safe tutor in this instance, especially if players aren't expecting Depths. They will likely have sideboarded out/not sideboarded in any outs to Marit Lage. I'm kind of excited for this, it can be a way to combat matchups where Bridge isn't ideal but a fast combo would be. I'm not really losing any functional effects, I'm just losing the option to change the control package slightly to accommodate the matchup.

Lands would be: -1 Swamp, -1 Forest, +2 Urborg. I don't know if I would cut a Wasteland or not, seeing as how Pithing Needle will name Wasteland fairly often. Karakas out of D&T comes to mind, but there is no way I'm cutting Bridge in that matchup. The overall setup is way too good against their deck, Bridge stopping attacks and Ashiok preventing Recruiter shenanigans. Decay and Scroll do a ton of work against problematic cards also.

This comes to mind:
    Brainstorm Realist

Here’s another (probably bad) idea: run Lingering Souls (you’d cut Bitterblossom, for starters). One Karakas likely belongs in the deck anyway, and if you run Opals, that’s some extra sources of white; a single white dual would round out your white sources. But Plan A isn’t to cast Lingering Souls from your hand. Plan A is to mill it with Ghoulcaller’s Bell or Codex Shredder and cast it from the graveyard at your leisure. If you see it on top with Lantern or Sylvan, just mill it and keep going through your deck for control/prison cards. That way, you never actually spend a card on your win condition. Plan B is to cast both the front half and the back half, and that’s not a terrible for a Plan B.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsOfParadise View Post
    Here’s another (probably bad) idea: run Lingering Souls (you’d cut Bitterblossom, for starters). One Karakas likely belongs in the deck anyway, and if you run Opals, that’s some extra sources of white; a single white dual would round out your white sources. But Plan A isn’t to cast Lingering Souls from your hand. Plan A is to mill it with Ghoulcaller’s Bell or Codex Shredder and cast it from the graveyard at your leisure. If you see it on top with Lantern or Sylvan, just mill it and keep going through your deck for control/prison cards. That way, you never actually spend a card on your win condition. Plan B is to cast both the front half and the back half, and that’s not a terrible for a Plan B.
    That seems pretty reasonable to me. Lingering Souls are a lot less life-total dependant than Bitterblossom, I really like that. I have gotten to the point in games where Bitterblossom wasn't fast enough to win games. Stabilizing at a low life total is pretty common with this deck. Lingering Souls does solve quite a bit of that conundrum, but I'm still at the impasse with Mox Opal. There just isn't enough low-risk artifacts to feed the deck. Once I start adding stuff like Mishra's Bauble (necessary for Opals I think) there is just too much air and not enough business. I could go through all those hoops and still wouldn't be able to do t1 Ashiok, which is by far one of the most powerful avenues of the deck. Cutting Opal was one of the most freeing parts of developing this deck: it opened up non-artifact avenues of supporting Lantern/Bridge.
    Brainstorm Realist

Sure, that makes sense. I hadn’t realized that you’d settled on Dark Ritual over Mox Opal. Still, the duals+fetches configuration ought to be flexible enough for a white card you don’t need to cast in the first couple of turns. One could also try the WBG triome. Of course, that means only that one could include Lingering Souls, not that it would be optimal to do so.

If you splash white, Kaya, Orzhov Usurper could possibly do a lot in this deck. She can do grave hate, life gain, and removal all on her own, and she’s great friends with Bridge and Ashiok. She’s a wincon that can help in a tight spot as well as in a good spot. It’s possible that her abilities are too narrow, though, or that she’s too fragile for the cost.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Not sure I want a 3rd color. I actually nabbed a couple more Cursed Scrolls, thinking about dropping the Talismans altogether and just run 3 scrolls. I want higher value finds from Ancient Stirrings. The other place to cut is Bitterblossom, but that card is so good in most matchups.
    Last edited by Mr. Safety; 06-14-2020 at 08:02 PM.
    Brainstorm Realist

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

havne't had a chance to really take a look at this thread before. looks like a really nice iteration of the lantern decks.

is tabernacle an option in this deck? (not that i own one, but in your testing would it have helped in some matchups?)

will be interesting to see what this deck gets from newer cards.
    -rob

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Tabernacle seems good, but I also don't own one. I don't see getting one, either. I may be able to borrow one if a tournament ever happens locally again.

Not sure there are any new cards in core21 for this deck, but I'm definitely keeping an eye out for tech.
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Potential inclusion, but it fights for space with Bitterblossom. Having some lifegain is cool, but I don't see any other shrines as being playable in this deck. Likely won't make the cut as Cursed Scroll is a faster clock.

Brainstorm Realist

Plus Stirrings can't find it. I think Scroll is probably our best md wincon.

Lingering Souls does seem like a nice inclusion if we can find space or decide to splash a third color, splashing W also opens us up to some decent side deck options

I don't think Opals make the cut either, when I was playing a different iteration with Opals + Labe in the main I often found that I had a surplus of mana but not much to do with it.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i didn't see veil of summer come up in this thread. what are the thoughts on being used here, to protect from counterspells, but more importantly to protect bridges from cards like abrupt decay.
    -rob

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I can't believe I forgot about Veil of Summer...very good suggestion! The real questions are whether to run it maindeck, sideboard, and what number to run. It's definitely a card that needs to be included. My gut tells me 3 is probably the right number. I'll fool around with numbers and get it into the primer.

Edit: I updated the primer, put Bitterblossom sideboard and Surgical Extraction maindeck now that I have 3 scrolls to grind out wins. Blossom will be very good, and safer, in control matchups rather than random g1's. Ended up with 2 Veil of Summer in the sideboard, would like to have 3. I'm trying to figure out if I need the Nihil Spellbomb/Grafdiggers cage in the sideboard. With Bridge, Ashiok, and Surgical maindeck I think my Reanimator/Dredge matchup should be fine. It's a little funny that the graveyard matchups are also addressed with Ensnaring Bridge.
    Last edited by Mr. Safety; 06-16-2020 at 07:20 PM.
    Brainstorm Realist

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

thoughts on noxious revival? it can return an abrupt decay, bridge, lantern etc and then on top of it you can ensure their top card is worthless. (nevermind this, i saw it earlier in the thread just now.)

my last suggestion is why not try to be a little greedier on the manabase and run 1 or 2 oko? it solves a lot of issues that abrupt decay is also trying to solve and given the amount of artifacts in the deck it creates hastey guys. no need for that stupid snow artifact either.
    -rob

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    thoughts on noxious revival? it can return an abrupt decay, bridge, lantern etc and then on top of it you can ensure their top card is worthless. (nevermind this, i saw it earlier in the thread just now.)

my last suggestion is why not try to be a little greedier on the manabase and run 1 or 2 oko? it solves a lot of issues that abrupt decay is also trying to solve and given the amount of artifacts in the deck it creates hastey guys. no need for that stupid snow artifact either.
    I like Oko, a lot actually. The combo of Bridge + Oko is known technology from modern. It pushes me closer to Mox Opal, for obvious reasons, but that is perfectly fine. I would probably just put in a Sultai triome land, fetchable and cyclable if I already cast Oko off Opal. Spire of Industry or even a basic Island would be fine as well. I don't have any blue duals.

Regarding Noxious Revival: it wasn't worth the slot. The list is tight, and I have to now jam an Oko (maybe).
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Also considering Scroll of Fate + Phyrexian dreadnought in sideboard.

EDIT: Possibly going back to Winter Orb as an option. I'm trying to find enough artifact synergies to make Opal playable to offset the fact that I can't get t1 Ashioks. Opal would still allow me to get Bridge down on turn 2-3, and finding another way to pinch mana (Orb) seems very good alongside Ashiok.

Testing shall commence!
    Last edited by Mr. Safety; 06-23-2020 at 12:37 PM.
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Orb testing was a bust, it could be a sideboard option but I think Choke is better. Opal re-test was similarly dissapointing, back to Dark Ritual.

I nabbed a couple Veil of Summer, debating maindeck or sideboard. If I play them maindeck I think they have to take Duress's slots.
    Brainstorm Realist

Yeah, Orb wasn't super great when I used it either. It was really great in theory but ultimately players could just hold up lands since we don't really have a fast enough clock to take advantage of it. I feel like if it is run it has to be run with Port and some sort of mana rock (probably Opal) but even then we're still not really doing anything since we're spending our mana to stop our opponent from doing things.

I think Rit vs Opal really just depends on how many artifacts you're willing to shove in the main, it feels like for your build at least running more artifacts for Opal probably isn't worth it.

Veil for Duress seems like a decent swap, although I guess it depends on your local metagame.

Thread Information