Thread: Painter + Scale Up

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Painter + Scale Up

Just had this happen in round 1 of the 5/31 challenge game 1 against infect.

I've got my Painter's Servant on Blue, and he fires up an Inkmoth Nexus. He casts Scale Up, I let it resolve, and then go to Pyroblast in combat.

I'm thinking this is just a classic mtgo bug, but the Inkmoth didn't die, meaning Scale Up would make Inkmoth only Green. Does Painter re-overwrite?
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

Sep 2011

Re: Painter + Scale Up

Time stamps. Painter makes Inkmoth blue, but then Scale Up overwrites that and makes it Green. You need to Pyroblast with Scale Up on the stack.

When two different continuous effects both try to alter the same characteristic in the same layer, the one with the latest time stamp wins.

From the Comp Rules:
    613.1e Layer 5: Color-changing effects are applied.

613.3. Within layers 2–6, apply effects from characteristic-defining abilities first (see rule 604.3), then all other effects in timestamp order (see rule 613.7).

613.7. Within a layer or sublayer, determining which order effects are applied in is usually done using a timestamp system. An effect with an earlier timestamp is applied before an effect with a later timestamp.
    613.7a A continuous effect generated by a static ability has the same timestamp as the object the static ability is on, or the timestamp of the effect that created the ability, whichever is later.
    613.7b A continuous effect generated by the resolution of a spell or ability receives a timestamp at the time it’s created.
    https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...tem-2009-11-05

Painter's time stamp is when it first entered the battlefield. Scale Up's is when Scale Up resolved. Scale Up has the later timestamp and overwrites Painter's effect.

Thread Information