Thread: What are your favorite card cycles in MTG?

What are your favorite card cycles in MTG?

I absolutely love 5 card cycles (ex: Lightning Bolt, Dark Ritual, Ancestral Recall, Healing Salve, Giant Growth, all instants that cost 1 mana, have 2 words in the name, and have a 3 in the text box). If they ever printed a set that consisted entirely of cycles, I would draft that set like crazy.

So what are your favorite cycles in MTG and which ones would you like to see make a comeback?

I would love to see a fixed, fair, balanced version of the original cycle see print in an upcoming product...
    Lightning Bolt
    Inquisition Kozilek
    Taxing Salve - Counter target noncreature spell unless player pays 3 mana.
    Great Growth - Target creature gets +3/+3, trample and reach until end of turn.
    Ancestral Storm - Reveal the top 3 cards, then put one in your hand, another on top of your library and a third at the bottom of your library.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Re: What are your favorite card cycles in MTG?

I like durdly creatures and the guildmages and battlemages come first to mind.

Nightscape Battlemage
    Stormscape Battlemage
    SunscapeBattlemage
    Thornscape Battlemage
    Thunderscape Battlemage

There are new ones with tap effects and this late addition with kicker effects:
    Ana Battlemage

And here's one of the battlemages: Granger Guildmage

Great picks. I had forgotten about those.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

The unofficial megacyle of 2 mana creatures that are way above the rest:

SFM - Snappy - Bob - YP - Goyf

Other than that, the Volrath's Stronghold cycle (unfinished, but still), the Urza Legendary Lands and the Titan cycle.

In draft i absolutely LOVED the shrines from Kamigawa (heck i really liked drafting that whole set). The way they worked together was just fun for me.

Here is an OLD article about cycles
    https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...20and%20flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by itslarryyo View Post
    In draft i absolutely LOVED the shrines from Kamigawa (heck i really liked drafting that whole set).
    I built Shrines.dec when I first started playing magic and I loved it.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I always liked the Charm cycles they do. I crammed Esper Charm and Naya Charm in more decks than I care to admit. Once Khans came out, Mardu Charm and Sultai Charm took a turn.

I also really liked the Retrace cycle of cards. I just love the idea of cards that have incrementally better value the longer the game goes, like Raven's Crime, Syphon Life, Worm Harvest, and Flame Jab. Cenn's Enlistment and Oona's Grace are only one mana off playable.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Maybe it's just because Deus of Calamity is my favorite card, but those gods from Shadowmoor are fucking sick
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Thread Information