Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: WotC bans cards for racism

Re: WotC bans cards for racism

Quote Originally Posted by wolfstorm View Post
    How is it racist?
    How is ethnic cleaning which only kills creatures of a certain color racist?

I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
    Nov 2008
    Austin, TX

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    How is ethnic cleaning which only kills creatures of a certain color racist?
    It's not ethnic cleansing and doesn't refer to ethnic cleansing, it seems you're misinterpreting the card and the games mechanics.

and if it is racist should all cards that refer to destroying a certain color be banned due to racism as well?

eg.
    https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/C...verseid=383304
    https://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/c...tiverseid=4245
    https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/C...tiverseid=3306

if it's due to the art what about planar cleansing and day of judgement?
    Team FireBrothers

Dec 2009
    Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Can't make that shit up:

I can see the argument for Invoke Prejudice (especially due to the rather unlucky 1488 ID )
    Don't forget the artist is openly a neo-Nazi! It's mind-boggling they left it up there for so long.

Imprison is pretty bad as well, but overall this seems like ridiculous pandering/slacktivism and a bad move. I'm not a big fan of old cards getting banned because they are deemed sufficiently offensive by some (mostly) arbitrary standards. Stuff like Invoke Prejudice, sure, there has been widespread agreement for years that it should be removed. But Cleanse? Stone-throwing Devils? Guess we need to remove all rats from the game as well then...

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I applaud WOTC for making an effort to be involved in social justice, it's awesome. I think they are smart enough to realize they know where the line is for being offensive.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    While, it’s good to see wizards taking some action when addressing a serious issue in our society, it does seem like a token action - literally the least they could do. You’d think with their hiring practices called into question that they’d actually do something meaningful, instead of banning cards no one has ever heard of as a token show of progress.
    If they only banned cards with actually problematic background (Invoke Prejudice is a no brainer, Gypsy and Stone-Throwing Devil are racial slurs), good. But I don't see how you're going to make the world a better place by banning Crusade.

As for hiring practices, apparently they haven't hired any black people at all. Makes their whole #BlackLivesMatter and support for the black community even more hypocritical.

And Maro got flak for playing Hangman in his Twitter preview.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    Don't forget the artist is openly a neo-Nazi! It's mind-boggling they left it up there for so long.

Imprison is pretty bad as well, but overall this seems like ridiculous pandering/slacktivism and a bad move. I'm not a big fan of old cards getting banned because they are deemed sufficiently offensive by some (mostly) arbitrary standards. Stuff like Invoke Prejudice, sure, there has been widespread agreement for years that it should be removed. But Cleanse? Stone-throwing Devils? Guess we need to remove all rats from the game as well then...
    Never knew that about Harold McNeill until now.

What's the deal with Imprison? Is it because the person depicted has dark skin color + being imprisoned (aka slavery) or is there another, cultural, offensive meaning behind that?

It's not ethnic cleansing and doesn't refer to ethnic cleansing, it seems you're misinterpreting the card and the games mechanics.
    Is English not your first language? I ask because in English we've used "cleansing" places of certain types of people as a whole for quite a long time.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    It's also just a game
    A lot racism gets excused with phrases like this. It's just a game. It's just a joke. It's no big deal. Etc. Let's not fall back on this excuse.
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Nov 2008
    Austin, TX

[QUOTE=FourDogsinaHorseSuit;1085133]
    It's not ethnic cleansing and doesn't refer to ethnic cleansing, it seems you're misinterpreting the card and the games mechanics./QUOTE]

Is English not your first language? I ask because I'm English we've used "cleansing" places of certain types of people as a whole for quite a long time.
    "cleanse"
    a process or period of time during which a person attempts to rid the body of substances regarded as toxic or unhealthy, typically by consuming only water or other liquids.

make (something, especially the skin) thoroughly clean.

You're the one making the card "CLEANSE" racist, by inferring that it means "ETHNIC CLEANSING" and that black creatures means black people.
    Team FireBrothers

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    A lot racism gets excused with phrases like this. It's just a game. It's just a joke. It's no big deal. Etc. Let's not fall back on this excuse.
    Fair point, thanks for keeping me honest.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

"cleanse"
    a process or period of time during which a person attempts to rid the body of substances regarded as toxic or unhealthy, typically by consuming only water or other liquids.

make (something, especially the skin) thoroughly clean.

You're the one making the card "CLEANSE" racist, by inferring that it means "ETHNIC CLEANSING" and that black creatures means black people.
    I think you'll find Webster's dictionary defines gyp as...

May 2015
    PDX

I'm thinking Disruptive Student somehow got overlooked.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

I applaud WOTC for making an effort to be involved in social justice, it's awesome. I think they are smart enough to realize they know where the line is for being offensive.
    I assume chess is banned or its colors changed when all this is over. Its just the beginning
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Nov 2008
    Austin, TX

I think you'll find Webster's dictionary defines gyp as...
    That card is racist, I am not disagreeing with you here - as is imprison, invoke prejudice, and one of COP: Blacks art.. and I'm sure a few others that I am missing.

Quoting someone else that is also trying to make my point.
    "Cleanse is a tough one because it “invokes prejudice” (sorry) without actually depicting it or alluding to it. It can be construed as being about racial cleansing, considering it’s a white card that cleanses black cards, but that’s just sort of the nature of the color pairs and considering that black in MTG is the color of death, corruption, and evil it would make sense that the color of (often religiously themed) life, purity, and righteousness would “cleanse” black."
    Team FireBrothers

Nov 2008
    Austin, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I'm thinking Disruptive Student somehow got overlooked.
    Agreed, but a lot of people are arguing that it's not because its just how Teferi was as a child lol?
    Team FireBrothers

I feel compelled to point out that bigotry and racism are different though commonly overlap. The reason destroying all white creatures is not racist is because the dominant cultural force is designed and enforced to benefit white people.

Hating white people could be considered bigotry, but a system of oppression that benefits whites is racism against all people that don't fit that box.

But wait, there's more:

Cockatrice: Bosque

You seem to care a whole lot about how racist you can be instead of just going with "none". Try that.
    The card is called "cleanse," not "ethnic cleanse." Also, the card art clearly depicts demons being "cleansed" by holy light.

You seem to care a whole lot about finding racism where it doesn't exist. You just tacked the word "ethnic" on despite the fact that nothing about the name, the art, or the effect alluded to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosque View Post
    I feel compelled to point out that bigotry and racism are different though commonly overlap. The reason destroying all white creatures is not racist is because the dominant cultural force is designed and enforced to benefit white people.

Hating white people could be considered bigotry, but a system of oppression that benefits whites is racism against all people that don't fit that box.
    I mean sure, but I'd argue that destroying all black creatures isn't racist either, unless we're equating black creatures to black people.

In which case just re-brand all black cards to purple or something like that, I guess.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
    I assume chess is banned or its colors changed when all this is over. Its just the beginning
    At some point there needs to be a simple, clear explanation from Wotc on how the colors of the game are just ways of representing fantasy material, and that their intent isn't to offend or promote racism or bigotry. Carefully choosing art is a damn good start.

Then the question of 'is this racist or inappropriate' becomes really simple.
    Brainstorm Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Sella View Post
    The card is called "cleanse," not "ethnic cleanse." Also, the card art clearly depicts demons being "cleansed" by holy light.

You seem to care a whole lot about finding racism where it doesn't exist. You just tacked the word "ethnic" on despite the fact that nothing about the name, the art, or the effect alluded to that.
    Wizards found it racist. The people who made their Indian themed citadel a literal 7/11.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Agreed, but a lot of people are arguing that it's not because its just how Teferi was as a child lol?
    Somebody made a comparison betwen the depiction Disruptive Student and this racist caricature.

The shape of the head, the position of the right hand, etc. is pretty damning.

Nov 2008
    Austin, TX

Somebody made a comparison betwen the depiction Disruptive Student and this racist caricature.

The shape of the head, the position of the right hand, etc. is pretty damning.
    100% agree, I wasn't defending it not being so.
    Team FireBrothers

Thread Information