Thread: Release the Kraken! Golgari Depths league report.

Release the Kraken! Golgari Depths league report.

Hello everyone,

Haven't seen too much activity in here lately, so I thought I'd share a quick league report with Golgari Slow Depths.
    List below.

R1: Hogaak (blue version). 2-0
    G1: Opponent gets going quickly, but I am a shade quicker with Hexmage, and Marit Lage flies over his army of zombies and Hogaak.
    G2: I open with a Leyline, followed by a Thoughtseize and an Inquisition. Opponent is still off-balance from this when Marit Lage shows up.

R2: Death's Shadow Delver. 2-1
    G1: Delver does it's thing. I nearly get there with my reclaimers and eventually getting to Marit Lage, but was a turn too slow.
    G2: Turn 1 Mox Diamond plus Swamp into Dark Confidant gives me solid card advantage. I discard his hand and Abrupt Decay everything relevant until Marit Lage shows up.
    G3: Intense, close game! We get rid of each other's creatures early on, then play draw-go for several turns, both drawing lots of land. Eventually one of my lands is a Dark Depths, and I begin thawing counters from it. We do this for a while, and eventually my opponent gets first one, then two delvers into play and flipped. Then it becomes a race to get ice counters thawed in time before the delvers seal the deal. I am ahead, but my opponent then gets an Ethereal Voyager in as well, and attacks with it and one delver while I'm at six life, leaving the other to block my soon to be manually thawed out Marit Lage. Marit Lage comes out in response to his attack and blocks the Voyager, while the delver puts me at three life. I know my opponent likely has a hand full of countermagic from the Voyager re-cast cantrips. I untap, and then draw Abrupt Decay for the remaining Delver, and swing with Marit Lage for the win!

R3: Dredge. 2-0
    G1: My opponent opens with a looting, putting two dredgers in the yard. I respond with a Crop Rotation into Bojuka Bog. My opponent casts a couple more looting effects and dredges a couple times, but before he can get back on his feet Marit Lage steps out of her session at the Sejiri salon, in good cheer and protected from the blues to swing right on by the two Narcomoebas in her path.
    G2: I opened with a Leyline. My opponent didn't have the removal spell before Hexmage brings Marit Lage back to the party.

R4: U/W Death & Taxes variant. 2-0.
    G1: I open with Mox Diamond, Bayou into Dark Confidant. Confidant meets Force of Will. My turn two I cast Hexmage and play Dark Depths. Opponent concedes.
    G2: I have a flurry of discard, which take away several answers to large flying avatars (Gilded Drake, Spellseeker, etc.), while I steadily put together Thespians Stage plus Dark Depths. Marit Lage get there.

R5: Dredge. 2-1
    G1: My opponent opens with several dredges, eventually leading into two zombies and a 14/14 Golgari Grave-Troll from a Dread Return. These are followed up by three Ichorids. I scoop.
    G2: My opponent mulls to four. I open with Leyline plus discard, taking his Wear/Tear. He scoops a couple turns later.
    G3: My opponent opens by emptying his hand and filling his graveyard with lots of good stuff for a powerful turn two. I fetch into Bayou, and again cast Crop Rotation into Bojuka Bog. Opponent never recovers from this and again concedes a few turns later.

5-0!!

Afterwards, for funsies I took this exact same deck and went to the tournament practice room in the Vintage section:
    R1: Landstill. 1-0.
    G1: My opponent plays a couple islands and counters my early Elvish Reclaimer and Duress. Then I put together Thespians Stage plus Dark Depths, and my opponent concedes the match.

R2: Golos Workshops. 2-0.
    G1: He opens with a bunch of trinkets, plus Chalice of the Void on one, and a Thorn of Amythist. A Sphere of Resistance, and then more lock pieces follow. While he is busy with this I put Thespians Stage plus Dark Depths together (both plus other lands in my opening hand), and shortly afterwards send Marit Lage across without casting a single spell. I am rewarded with some text box salt.
    G2: Similar from him, except it is a Trinisphere instead, followed by a Golos and a Stonecoil Serpent. On my turn three I cast Vampire Hexmage, turn four drop Dark Depths and make Marit Lage, who gets there shortly afterwards.

Highly recommend this deck for anyone interested in releasing a few Krakens now and then!

List:
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Misty Rainforest
    3 Bayou
    1 Swamp
    1 Forest
    3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    4 Thespians Stage
    4 Dark Depths
    3 Wasteland

3 Mox Diamond

4 Crop Rotation

4 Elvish Reclaimer
    3 Sylvan Safekeeper
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Vampire Hexmage

4 Abrupt Decay

4 Thoughtseize
    2 Inquisition of Kozilek
    1 Duress

SB:

1 Wasteland
    1 Duress
    1 Sylvan Library
    2 Veil of Summer
    2 Force of Vigor
    2 Fatal Push
    2 Plague Engineer
    4 Leyline of the Void

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Re: Release the Kraken! Golgari Depths league report.

sweet write-up, thanx for the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Miscanthus View Post
    While he is busy with this I put Thespians Stage plus Dark Depths together (both plus other lands in my opening hand), and shortly afterwards send Marit Lage across without casting a single spell. I am rewarded with some text box salt.

i've done this a few times but the best was when my opponent had every counterspell possible in hand.
    yes, i can win the game without casting a spell...

Re: Release the Kraken! Golgari Depths league report.

Quote Originally Posted by non-inflammable View Post
    sweet write-up, thanx for the effort.

i've done this a few times but the best was when my opponent had every counterspell possible in hand.
    yes, i can win the game without casting a spell...
    Thanks!
    Yes, those are always fun moments!

Thread Information