Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Zendikar Resurgent spoilers: Eldrazi Need Not Apply

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: Zendikar Resurgent spoilers: Eldrazi Need Not Apply

A new card for Workshop? Probably too expensive for Legacy, but I could be wrong.

Edit: Goes infinite with Basalt Monolith, so there's that.

Interesting design, but probably too expensive for Legacy.
    Last edited by Barook; 09-07-2020 at 01:36 PM.

Maddening Cacaphony
    1U
    Sorcery
    Target opponent mills the top 8 cards of their library.
    Kicker U3, Target opponent mills half their library rounded up.

So, does this make the dream of a mono-U "burn" style mill deck work yet? You need to hit around 50-ish card to get a kill by turn 3-4 if you're going with a pure speed plan, but because you're in blue you can use Daze and Force to slow down the opponent enough that you've realistically got until turn 5-6 (probably).

I'm not a mill player, but I've always been kind of fascinated by the idea of a Blue Burn deck that targets libraries instead of life totals. I mean, sooner or later they have to hit a critical mass on this type of thing, right?

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Maddening Cacaphony
    1U
    Sorcery
    Target opponent mills the top 8 cards of their library.
    Kicker U3, Target opponent mills half their library rounded up.

So, does this make the dream of a mono-U "burn" style mill deck work yet? You need to hit around 50-ish card to get a kill by turn 3-4 if you're going with a pure speed plan, but because you're in blue you can use Daze and Force to slow down the opponent enough that you've realistically got until turn 5-6 (probably).

I'm not a mill player, but I've always been kind of fascinated by the idea of a Blue Burn deck that targets libraries instead of life totals. I mean, sooner or later they have to hit a critical mass on this type of thing, right?
    You want to go UB for Glimpse the Unthinkable, Scheming Symmetry into Archive Trap, and removal/utility in general.
    This is not better than Breaking//Entering.
    The kicker is just a worse Traumatize.

The new crab is nice for mill but you don't want creatures main to blank their removal.

Mill also depends heavily on the meta in case your game plan is also the opponent's game plan.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

May 2015
    PDX

Wayward Guide-Beast + Land Tax/Land's Edge burn? Welcome to 2020.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Wayward Guide-Beast + Land Tax/Land's Edge burn? Welcome to 2020.
    Weathered Wayfarer would also work.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Searing Blaze is better than Searing Blood QED.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    Searing Blaze is better than Searing Blood QED.
    Probably bad but... put this in U/R Delver to repeatedly bounce Mystic Sanctuary?

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Pittplayer View Post
    Probably bad but... put this in U/R Delver to repeatedly bounce Mystic Sanctuary?
    The issue with Mystic Sanctuary is that you actually need to be getting ahead by more than the card you're putting back on top. Necro'ing a 1-for-1 isn't helpful, and 1-for-1s is all that Delver generally plays. Put another way Mirri's Guile does basically the same thing as a loop of bouncing Sanctuary, replaying Sanctuary, and putting Ponder on top so that you can draw the best card in your top 3 each turn. The problem is that to mimic Guile you're losing a land drop and a mana each turn (and this is skipping over all the preconditions and the fact that you need three cards to do what Guile accomplishes in one very hard to interact with slot).

Acceptable excuses to run Shame Island include: Entreat, Wraths, AK-types, and other 2-for-1s.

Edit: beyond this scenario, let’s just all step back and realize that a 1-drop aggrohaste 2/2 probably wants the opponent to be dead before turn 5 (need 4th land drop for Sanctuary). There’s also this little problem with being forced to pick up your lands each time you deal damage with this guy, and it’s also quite hard to Daze if your land is sitting in hand.

The drawback on Wayward Guide-Beast means you don't want multiples and you really only want to drop it once you've got enough lands in play, but that 2/2 haste body is easy to underrate. I wouldn't be too surprised if we see one or two of them in burn lists just like we see a single Shard Volley in modern burn lists.

I don't think there are good ways to turn that drawback into an asset. Decks that go to the trouble of putting multiple lands into play and decks that try to play landless tend to want bigger payoffs.

Cash Money Baller
    Nov 2007
    Maine

I would imagine the Guide-Beast's best use is simply to be played next to the color-shifted Steppe Lynx et al as way to keep your landfall triggers coming. Play the Steppe Lynx Turn 1 and this guy on Turn 2.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Pittplayer View Post
    If you kick this thing and give it haste, it's a one shot kill.
    This is an underrated but better use in Legacy.

I could see this as a SB alt-win con in Storm decks. For 7 mana you get a 1-shot kill that wins through Flusterstorm/Mindbreak/Pierce, and they probably boarded out spot removal.

The blue rare land/creature spoiled.

Glasspool Mimic
    U2
    Clone of one of your creatures, also a shapeshifter rogue

And the other side is an ETB tapped blue land.

That seems really strong at only 3 mana given that you can still play it as a land. I don't know what legacy deck wants to copy its own guys, but if you do, well, here ya go.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    That seems really strong at only 3 mana given that you can still play it as a land. I don't know what legacy deck wants to copy its own guys, but if you do, well, here ya go.
    There are already a bunch of 3cc "copy your own" effects out there: Cackling Counterpart, Fated Infatuation, Mirror Image, and Quasi-Duplicate.

For a "copy your own" effect like that to make sense, you'd need a combo payoff, and there isn't one (yet). Also, Phantasmal Image and Phyrexian Metamorph are better.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    For a "copy your own" effect like that to make sense, you'd need a combo payoff, and there isn't one (yet).
    There was one with Gyurda but companion rule changes killed that deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    There are already a bunch of 3cc "copy your own" effects out there: Cackling Counterpart, Fated Infatuation, Mirror Image, and Quasi-Duplicate.

For a "copy your own" effect like that to make sense, you'd need a combo payoff, and there isn't one (yet). Also, Phantasmal Image and Phyrexian Metamorph are better.
    Aside from Mirror Image, all of those cost multiple . Might be cool for blue Stompy decks as it can increase the mana density without sacrificing threat density. Is it good enough? Who knows? Quite a few games have been won by copying the shit out of TKS.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Aside from Mirror Image, all of those cost multiple . Might be cool for blue Stompy decks as it can increase the mana density without sacrificing threat density. Is it good enough? Who knows? Quite a few games have been won by copying the shit out of TKS.
    Yeah, it does seem particularly strong in Sea Stompy. Pitches to both Mox and FoW, counts as a blue source on it's own, has the right CC, and it's not like those decks are short of good big copy targets. Isn't one of the biggest problems with those decks consistency? Particularly with blue land drops? This seems tailor made to help with that issue.

I don't really play those though, so I could be wrong about all that. Just in general though, I think people are really underestimating the value of these land/spell and land/creature cards.

Mar 2007

You can always play it alongside Sea Drake for the maximum meme factor - play it out as land, bounce it with Sea Drake later and then play it as Clone to copy Sea Drake.

Too bad Sea Drake fell out of favor long ago.

May 2015
    PDX

The clone card us not unreasonable alongside manlands like Factory. The slow speed of the card skews it towards UW however, in which case it loses the battle for a slot to Sevinne's.

Nullpriest of Oblivion
    Rare
    1B
    Vampire Cleric
    Menace, Lifelink
    Kicker 3B, return a critter from your grave to battlefield
    2/1

There's a lot of good stuff going on here. Definitely a standard all-star, probably a bunch of play in Pioneer, will see play in Modern.. Does it have a home in Legacy tho? 6 mana is a lot to bring back a single dude.

Thread Information