Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Zendikar Resurgent spoilers: Eldrazi Need Not Apply

Re: Zendikar Resurgent spoilers: Eldrazi Need Not Apply

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Lol, I just noticed that this card almost requires two lands to ETB in order to even function because while I was thought-experimenting I remembered that additional phases actually occur before the organic phases, which means that the untap part of this creatures ability will occur before any creatures attack, because they only untap for that phase!.
    I think you could just play the lands in your second main phase. Do 1st main, normal combat, 2nd main - land(s), new combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoshim View Post
    I think you could just play the lands in your second main phase. Do 1st main, normal combat, 2nd main - land(s), new combat.
    Timmy don't play second main!

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    I guess they finally decided to print something to justify that idiotic Primeval Titan ban in Commander.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

This seems like it has potential.
    Dies to Bolt early, but has attached utility.
    Might be good with Pteramander builds but non-bos with Arcanist.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Oh I wish that was a Griffin or a Pegasus. Some of the OG fantasy creatures really get shafted in MTG as far as playable cards go. Specifically Unicorns, Pegasi, and Griffins. Not sure why though. But yeah, that's some good hatin right there. Don't know if it comes down early enough to matter though.
    Emiel the Blessed is apparently good in Commander. I don't know if we'll see a powered-up Pegasus, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a Griffin. Misthollow Griffin was pretty good.

May 2015
    PDX

This seems like it has potential.
    Dies to Bolt early, but has attached utility.
    Might be good with Pteramander builds but non-bos with Arcanist.
    The deck would be UR, but 100% incorrect to add green (the moment you do this Uro, Oko, Klothys, Ice-Fang, Veil, Dreadhorde disappear all the slots). Adding black is okay, and a card like Cling to Dust is pretty good asymmetrical attack angle (inherently anti-Uro, anti-Dreadhorde). It would also be fine with white’s usual suspects.

The real reason you’re looking at this card over Dreadhorde probably coincides heavily with Goblin Welder or Reanimator or See the Truth.

[Magmatic Channeler]
    This seems like it has potential....
    It could work OK in sligh or burn decks, or in the Vengevine / Hollow One / Arclight Phoenix stuff, though it seems a little slow.

I wonder a little about Jeskai Ascendancy with the tap ability.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

It's also a draw engine with card selection with the original Squee. I just checked the Gatherer, there are no red creatures at CMC 2 or less that allow repeated looting for just tapping, so there's that.

Jwar Isle Disturbance
    1U
    Instant
    Counter target spell unless it's controller pays 1.
    //Flip//
    Land, makes U, ETB tapped.

That definitely seems playable. I don't think everyone wants it, but that's a strong spell/land selection right there.

So it looks like every color gets 5 land/spell DFCs. 1 Mythic, 1 Rare, 3 Uncommon. A fair number of them are standard playable. I mean, just looking at my planned standard deck, it's probably going to have around 30 total "lands" but only about 10 of them will be full time "lands". Rock Party is looking Strongk so far. See how it plays in two weeks. I'm fired up.

Jwar Isle Disturbance
    1U
    Instant
    Counter target spell unless it's controller pays 1.
    //Flip//
    Land, makes U, ETB tapped.

That definitely seems playable. I don't think everyone wants it, but that's a strong spell/land selection right there.

So it looks like every color gets 5 land/spell DFCs. 1 Mythic, 1 Rare, 3 Uncommon. A fair number of them are standard playable. I mean, just looking at my planned standard deck, it's probably going to have around 30 total "lands" but only about 10 of them will be full time "lands". Rock Party is looking Strongk so far. See how it plays in two weeks. I'm fired up.
    A reverse daze

Scourge of the Skyclaves
    Mythic
    1B
    Demon
    Kicker 4B - if kicker is paid, both players lose half of life total, rounding up
    P/T are equal to 20 minus highest life total among all players.
    */*

So basically it's a 2 mana Death's Shadow that starts at 20/20, but goes off the highest life total in the game, rather than your own.

I dunno, do Death's Shadow decks want shadows #5-8? Definitely potential for Suicide Black and Shadow type lists.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

I like this design alot. Reminds me of the good old days of Suicide Black. If there's a home for it, then probably in Death's Shadow. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

I like this design alot. Reminds me of the good old days of Suicide Black. If there's a home for it, then probably in Death's Shadow. We'll see.
    It plays better against shadow than in it tho.

Scourge of the Skyclaves
    Mythic
    1B
    Demon
    Kicker 4B - if kicker is paid, both players lose half of life total, rounding up
    P/T are equal to 20 minus highest life total among all players.
    */*

So basically it's a 2 mana Death's Shadow that starts at 20/20, but goes off the highest life total in the game, rather than your own.

I dunno, do Death's Shadow decks want shadows #5-8? Definitely potential for Suicide Black and Shadow type lists.
    It's (20 - highest_life_total) so it's never 20/20 unless both players are liches.

It plays better against shadow than in it tho.
    Well, managing both life totals is a tall order, especially when this guy doesn't have any form of evasion.
    Outside of suicide, I don't see a place for this.
    Then again, suicide has been largely replaced by cards who do the same without the life loss, so I'm unsure if this is worth it.
    It also sucks mucho grande against decks with Swords to Plowshares.

It's (20 - highest_life_total) so it's never 20/20 unless both players are liches.

Well, managing both life totals is a tall order, especially when this guy doesn't have any form of evasion.
    Outside of suicide, I don't see a place for this.
    Then again, suicide has been largely replaced by cards who do the same without the life loss, so I'm unsure if this is worth it.
    It also sucks mucho grande against decks with Swords to Plowshares.
    I think it's good against swords: Yes I'll go back to 20, please and thank you.

I think it's good against swords: Yes I'll go back to 20, please and thank you.
    If it counters your "stronk through suicide" plan then I guess the Swords player is also ok with it.
    Again you also need to cause live loss on part of your opponent as well since it considers the highest life total among players.
    It might work in Modern where everyone loses half their life to their mana base.
    For legacy, the conditions seem to strict.
    Not saying this is a bad thing, tho.

If it counters your "stronk through suicide" plan then I guess the Swords player is also ok with it.
    Again you also need to cause live loss on part of your opponent as well since it considers the highest life total among players.
    It might work in Modern where everyone loses half their life to their mana base.
    For legacy, the conditions seem to strict.
    Not saying this is a bad thing, tho.
    That's shadows plan, yes. But if you're running this that isn't your plans

That's shadows plan, yes. But if you're running this that isn't your plans
    If you kick this thing and give it haste, it's a one shot kill.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Pittplayer View Post
    If you kick this thing and give it haste, it's a one shot kill.
    Set your life at 1 (you’re the Shadow player), on board you have Shadow and this new guy - your opponent has a Plow that will resolve. It doesn’t matter what their life is (1 to 20), you can’t kill through that Plow in a 1-shot.

The fact that situations exist where this new guy + Shadow fail to kill, whereas Gurmag and Shadow do kill is the problem. Gurmag still wins the slot.

The main reason not to play this card in UB shadow is that the deck is still a tempo deck that's relatively threat-light and you want all of your threats to be powerful standalone cards (especially if it's a threat that costs 2 mana).

Imagine you have a hand that's like land, land, threat, daze, force, thoughtseize, snuff out. This is a pretty good hand but with this setup if your threat is the 1B demon then it's probably going to be at most a 1/1 or 2/2 depending on how many fetchlands your opponent uses and against some opponents it might even be totally uncastable.

For the card to be more reliably good it needs to be played in a deck with burn spells and/or a lot of aggressive creatures that can be played on turn 1

Thread Information