Thread: What do you believe to be the strongest card drawing card or engine for each color?

What do you believe to be the strongest card drawing card or engine for each color?

Long time MTG player here, however I haven't truly played since around 2004. Been interested in getting back to it. I've started to toss around some deck ideas, but I've found that I'm not confident in what I know about the current landscape of card drawing across each of the five colors.

What do you believe are the strongest card drawing cards, engines or combos of each color?

Re: What do you believe to be the strongest card drawing card or engine for each colo

Coalition Victory.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: What do you believe to be the strongest card drawing card or engine for each colo

A lot has changed in the last 16 years. Legacy is not really a format for "engines" or for raw card draw, but rather mostly synergies or outright combo dedicated decks.

I think you would be well-off to look at recent results, like here, and then ask further questions about what might not make sense, or what you'd like to understand better.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

You should probably start by playing some established deck, brewing while new to the format will be very hard. But if that's what you want to do, fine, it's perhaps more fun for some of us.

Green clearly has sylvan library.
    Black has dark confidant. I guess griselbrand deserves mention too, needs to be reanimated first though [edit: or necrotic ooze or Volrath's Shapeshifter] .
    Blue has brainstorm and ponder. Not card advantage but clearly the most powerful card draw in the format.
    White doesn't have anything really (I think) but Tithe has been used with Brainstorm recently and there's land tax to couple with scroll rack.
    Red has experimental frenzy, not great but interesting, but in practice dreadhorde arcanist coupled with cantrips is the best.
    Last edited by pettdan; 07-29-2020 at 02:39 AM.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

To give you some more ideas:

Green: Argothian Enchantress, Enchantress's Presence, and Glimpse of Nature
    Black: Griselbrand, Ad Nauseam, Infernal Contract, and Cruel Bargain
    White: Palace Jailer
    Blue: Echo of Eons, Accumulated Knowledge, Jin-Gitaxias, Time Spiral, Ancestral Vision, Standstill, Enter the Infinite, and Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    Red: Goblin Ringleader
    Artifact: Mystic Forge, Staff of Domination
    Colorless: Kozilek, Butcher of Truth, and Kozilek, the Great Distortion

Blue-Green: Uro
    Blue-Red: Dack Fayden

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

depends on the deck you want to play.

i'd use the advice and check the link H provided.

it really depends if you consider things like Goblin Ringleader, Imperial Recruiter, Stitcher's Supplier, Elvish Visionary as engines or not. i'm not sure there's a lot of value in identifying these kinds of things right now for legacy.
    -rob

If you are interested in engines, black (with a splash) for dredge is quite the thing too.
    Same with green's Life from the loam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

If you look closely at most (if not all) competitive decks in legacy they all have an 'engine' that they are built around. Some of them are synergistic, especially the combo decks, while others are based on raw power. A few decks are based on face-value power level (like Burn, Show and Tell) but most have a core engine that either wins the game or creates card advantage. I think it's more productive to look at specific deck strategies than at colors. Many of the card advantage engines are incredibly compact, sometimes just playing one of the new busted planeswalkers. Looking at the 'good stuff' blue stew piles that have been prevalent for a while, many games center around just resolving a planeswalker and snowballing from there.

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    A lot has changed in the last 16 years. Legacy is not really a format for "engines" or for raw card draw, but rather mostly synergies or outright combo dedicated decks.
    I look at it differently; I see synergistic decks as the very definition of using an 'engine'. Even 4-5C blue stew decks use Uro and Oko as engines to create card advantage.

I think you would be well-off to look at recent results, like here, and then ask further questions about what might not make sense, or what you'd like to understand better.
    This is excellent advice.
    Last edited by Mr. Safety; 11-30-2020 at 10:25 AM.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

White also had Lurrus as an engine, but it had to die for companion's sins. I do hope card comes back one day since companion has already been nerfed.

Feb 2015
    Berkeley, CA

Another Black spell - Night's Whisper.
    ---
    Carpe Diem

Banned
    Nov 2005
    Sigil, Center of the Planes - Italian district

Speaking of black and new toys, also Peer into the Abyss

Aug 2008
    Slovenia

If you become disillusioned with what magic has become, be sure to also checkout the Premodern format https://premodernmagic.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DireLemming View Post
    If you become disillusioned with what magic has become, be sure to also checkout the Premodern format https://premodernmagic.com/
    Just compare trade binders already.

Or cube, if you want to insist you're still being "competitive"

Thread Information