Thread: Landfall Zoo

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

Landfall Zoo

This is not my list, but I heard about this on Julian's Everyday Eternal podcast. This was played for an MTGO Legacy Challenge and won 10th place:
    https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...nge-2021-09-27
    Credit goes to BYVCI.

4 Akoum Hellhound
    4 Brushfire Elemental
    4 Steppe Lynx
    4 Wild Nacatl

4 Scale Up

4 Berserk
    4 Crop Rotation
    3 Once Upon a Time

1 Mishra's Bauble
    4 Skyclave Pick-Axe

1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Savannah
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    3 Taiga
    1 Urza's Saga
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills

I was brainstorming a list with the new Willow Geist using Berserk and delve stuff, but when I saw this list I was instantly distracted. What do you all think? Does this thing have legs?
    Listen up shitizens! http://www.noagendashow.com/
    Be a part of the magic! OBDM https://ourbigdumbmouth.com/

Re: Landfall Zoo

Both ThrabenU and anzidmtg played the deck. It is very consistent at killing on t2.5 but doesn’t do much else. If your meta is full of fair blue I could see it being ok.

Sep 2011

I've been trying to brew Landfall Zoo for years, but it was a slower midrange-aggro strategy with creatures from 1-3 cmc. Slow tech like Elvish Reclaimer, Knight of the Reliquary and Renegade Rallier combined with the landfall critters. It's resilient with high threat density, good synergy and good midgame. The problem is decks like that have no game against fast combo. Too slow. Not enough hate. (if you add hatebears it becomes Maverick, if you add Marit Lage it becomes GW Depths)

This Combo-Landfall is an interesting twist. Finally, a Zoo deck that can actually race combo decks with its own turn 2 combo finish, but it can also play regular Cat beatdown against blue decks.

Lynx/Akoum + Scale Up + fetch + Berserk = 20 damage on turn 2

Lynx/Akoum + Skyclave + fetch->CropRot->fetch + Berserk = 32 damage on turn 2 (16 with just 2 of the buffs instead of all 3)

Turn 3s are easier to set up.

Is anyone still working on this, or has done any work on it since it showed up?

Ideas (some of mine and some collected from elsewhere)
    - Kaheera as companion (most of creatures satisfy the type restriction, good with Force of Vigor in the board etc, but you have to cut the dryad arbor)
    - Wayward Guide Beast as a 2- or 3-of (it happens to satisfy the Kaheera type restriction but it might also just be an alright card by itself, Nacatl seems a bit underwhelming but idk if picking up lands is actually good or not)
    - Elvish Reclaimer as another possible 1 drop
    - Undiscovered Paradise as a 1of
    - If you don't want to play Kaheera then GSZ as a 1-mana landfall trigger that also makes a 1/1 also doesn't seem terrible and maybe you get some additional SB option like Teeg or something

Thread Information