Thread: The Black Knight is X-1 (Chains of Mephistopheles/Dark Deal/Haakon)

The Black Knight is X-1 (Chains of Mephistopheles/Dark Deal/Haakon)

Last edited by kinda; 12-13-2020 at 01:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

May 2015
    PDX

Re: The Black Knight is X-1 (Chains of Mephistopheles/Dark Deal/Haakon)

Court Hussar and Entomb missing. Darkblast and Bridge from Below singletons and other Entomb fun times missing. Remember that changing X/1 Knight to 2/2 zombro is your ideal answer to Plague Engi. Consider Crib Swap.

Anvil, Zur's, Narset, Clique, so many Ghast, Buried Alive, Cavalier/Oathsworn/Midnight are all excessive. Dark Deal, Chains, and Chalice all pretty excessive and = autoloss to Oko. Consider Bloodchief's Thirst, Sinkhole, Kaya (3cmc), Vengeful Pharaoh, discard on land (Geier Reach). Would always play Rit over Chrome Mox (especially with option of Oppo Agent).

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Court Hussar and Entomb missing. Darkblast and Bridge from Below singletons and other Entomb fun times missing. Remember that changing X/1 Knight to 2/2 zombro is your ideal answer to Plague Engi. Consider Crib Swap.

Anvil, Zur's, Narset, Clique, so many Ghast, Buried Alive, Cavalier/Oathsworn/Midnight are all excessive. Dark Deal, Chains, and Chalice all pretty excessive and = autoloss to Oko. Consider Bloodchief's Thirst, Sinkhole, Kaya (3cmc), Vengeful Pharaoh, discard on land (Geier Reach). Would always play Rit over Chrome Mox (especially with option of Oppo Agent).
    I think you might be right on entomb, I'll try something without CotV next. I'm concerned with W though but without tomb it might be OK.

I think chains is very good vs. Oko decks, especially the control versions. Wut is more difficult is finding self synergies with chains.
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

May 2015
    PDX

Your draw effects need to come on the upkeep to exploit with Darkblast dredging if you're using Chains. Court Hussain doesn't care about Chains effects.. I would use Ashiok before Chains however, particularly with Dark Rit over Mox.

This perhaps will not fit in this deck, but I came up with a jank t4 "2 card" combo involving Haakon and knights.

t2 heartless summoning, t3 buried alive for haakon, corpse knight & jousting dummy. t4 cast haakon, cast corpse knight, then cast jousting dummy a million times.

https://CommanderSpellbook.com/?id=6971

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    This perhaps will not fit in this deck, but I came up with a jank t4 "2 card" combo involving Haakon and knights.

t2 heartless summoning, t3 buried alive for haakon, corpse knight & jousting dummy. t4 cast haakon, cast corpse knight, then cast jousting dummy a million times.

That's actually a neat combo!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post

You could streamline it with Perilous Myr instead of Jousting Dummy, but heartless summoning (1B) -> buried alive (2B) -> Haakon (BB) is a little heavy on the mana cost, and I'm not sure you can get heartless summoning out of the graveyard easily so I'm not sure it can work as a surprise combo well.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    You could streamline it with Perilous Myr instead of Jousting Dummy, but heartless summoning (1B) -> buried alive (2B) -> Haakon (BB) is a little heavy on the mana cost, and I'm not sure you can get heartless summoning out of the graveyard easily so I'm not sure it can work as a surprise combo well.
    ???? Dummy is a knight, Myr isnt... what am I missing?

Sep 2011

It doesn't work

Opposition Agent seems very strong, and that encourages Dark Rits. Dark Rit and Entomb means probably no Chalice, and maybe some Liliana of the Veil.

//Mana: 25
    4 Dark Ritual
    3 Chrome Mox
    2 Ancient Tomb
    1 Geier Reach Sanitarium
    4 Cavern of Souls
    11 Snow-Covered Swamp

//Combo: 8
    4 Chains of Mephistopheles
    4 Dark Deal

//Spells: 9
    3 Cabal Therapy
    3 Thoughtseize
    3 Entomb

//Planeswalkers: 2
    2 Liliana of the Veil

//Creatures: 16
    4 Opposition Agent
    3 Haakon, Stromgald Scourge
    2 Murderous Rider
    2 Nameless Inversion
    1 Blacklance Paragon
    2 Knight of the Ebon Legion
    1 Vengeful Pharaoh
    1 Squee, Goblin Nabob

//Sideboard: 15
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Plague Engineer
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Darkblast
    1 Cling to Dust
    1 Murderous Rider
    1 Collective Brutality
    1 Bloodchief's Thirst
    1 Null Rod

The 1cc cards seem pretty strong here, maybe better than what Chalice would do.

Could try to fit in 2-3 Bloodghast too. It and Haakon have synergy with the Dark Deal combo and with Cabal Therapy.
    Last edited by FTW; 12-28-2020 at 08:48 AM.

May 2015
    PDX

The moment Bloodghast is im deck, you're just worse Hogaak. Different cards names, but the exact same deck - just worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    The moment Bloodghast is im deck, you're just worse Hogaak. Different cards names, but the exact same deck - just worse.
    Not in the slightest, hogaak can't morph into a deck which isn't reliant on the GY.

Winter Maze

Boshnroll tried a chains plus dark deal deck.

https://youtu.be/WPx4CmNQxJs

Winter Maze

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    Boshnroll tried a chains plus dark deal deck.

https://youtu.be/WPx4CmNQxJs
    i liked the deck enough to screen capture the list, but i'd pivot the deck back to a lands deck with the chains & dark deal combo.
    go back to 4 wasteland, drop the manabonds and add explorations; play it like a fun lands list with a quirky combo...

Wasteland isn't very good against the labe decks though and the nonlabe decks still only run 1-2 basics where recurring GQ might be better than WL.

Winter Maze

Thread Information