Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: R/g Sligh

  1. #1

    R/g Sligh

    The R/u sligh thread has me wondering about how viable a R/g deck can make Ghitu Lavarunner work. The basic idea is to get the Lavamancer's text to be relevant as quickly as possible by using various free spells and get a fast clock going with hasty weenies.

    Maybe something like:


    4 Monastery Swiftspear
    4 Goblin Guide
    4 Ghitu Lavarunner

    4 Nature's Lore

    4 Land Grant
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Mutagenic Growth
    2 Once Upon a Time
    2 Edge of Autumn

    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Light up the Stage
    4 Atarka's Command

    2 Price of Progress
    2 Fireblast

    4 Taiga
    8 Mountain
    Last edited by rufus; 09-21-2020 at 07:15 PM.

  2. #2
    Member

    Join Date

    Sep 2011
    Posts

    2,444

    Re: R/g Sligh

    Instead of Nature's Lore, did you mean Land Grant?

    4x OUAT + 4x Land Grant could be a good way to cut down on maindeck lands and cast free spells at the beginning of the game.

    Also Wayward Guide-Beast should probably be somewhere in the mix.

    Edit: Chrome Mox would also help enable explosive turn 1 opening hands on a low-land deck and mitigate the drawback of Wayward Guide-Beast. The drawback is mitigated if you run fewer copies and run a low land count in general. If you don't have another land in hand to deploy, it doesn't cost you anything. You can also sacrifice the lands to Fireblast before the trigger if you have more.

  3. #3
    Member

    Join Date

    Sep 2011
    Posts

    2,444

    Re: R/g Sligh

    What does Green offer here? What if you went into Rw for 8Lynx?


    8Lynx aka "Raining Cats and Dogs"


    //1 drops: 18
    4 Steppe Lynx
    4 Akoum Hellhound
    4 Goblin Guide
    4 Monastery Swiftspear
    2 Wayward Guide-Beast

    //Spells: 22
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Lava Spike
    4 Path to Exile
    3 Light Up the Stage
    3 Fireblast

    //Mana: 20
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Arid Mesa
    3 Prismatic Vista
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Plateau
    2 Snow-Covered Mountain
    1 Snow-Covered Plains

    //Sideboard: 15
    3 Smash to Smithereens
    2 Wear // Tear
    2 Eidolon of the Great Revel
    2 Deafening Silence
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Price of Progress


    Then Wayward Guide-Beast actually becomes a Landfall engine to enable all your Lynxes, while the curve is low enough to play all game off 1-2 lands.

    Edit: The strategy of Loses-To-Chalice.dec is to just accept you will scoop to G1 T1 Chalice @ 1 OTP, and play 5x answers in the SB for it. Meanwhile the extremely low curve means you are just vomiting out 1-drops every turn to get maximum damage output per mana and race most other decks.

    Path can fill multiple roles. It removes blockers, it answers faster threats like Marit Lage and Griselbrand, and it can be used on your own extra dork to enable Landfall or find a land to pitch to Fireblast.

    If you curve out Lotus Petal -> Lynx + uncracked fetch (with another fetch in hand), there are a lot of lines open:
    -Attack with 6/7 on turn 2
    -Play a 2nd Lynx, then attack with two 4/5s next turn
    -Crack fetch to block with 2/3 and EOT Bolt/Path, then attack with 4/5 next turn

  4. #4

    Re: R/g Sligh

    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Instead of Nature's Lore, did you mean Land Grant?
    Yeah. Thanks.

    4x OUAT + 4x Land Grant could be a good way to cut down on maindeck lands and cast free spells at the beginning of the game.
    The thing is OUAT isn't great in multiples or as a top deck. I'll need to tinker with it.

    What does Green offer here?
    Lots of free spells that mesh with the sligh game plan. Part of this is me wondering if there's any way to make the lavarunner work.

  5. #5
    Member

    Join Date

    Sep 2011
    Posts

    2,444

    Re: R/g Sligh

    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Yeah. Thanks.
    The thing is OUAT isn't great in multiples or as a top deck. I'll need to tinker with it.
    Right, but you always want it on T0 and the deck doesn't want to go into the midgame, so don't you still want 4 copies of it and Land Grant?

    You can also run Faithless Looting to mitigate the drawback and help fuel Lavarunner

  6. #6

    Re: R/g Sligh

    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    What does Green offer here? What if you went into Rw for 8Lynx?


    8Lynx aka "Raining Cats and Dogs"


    //1 drops: 18
    4 Steppe Lynx
    4 Akoum Hellhound
    4 Goblin Guide
    4 Monastery Swiftspear
    2 Wayward Guide-Beast

    //Spells: 22
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Lava Spike
    4 Path to Exile
    3 Light Up the Stage
    3 Fireblast

    //Mana: 20
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Arid Mesa
    3 Prismatic Vista
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Plateau
    2 Snow-Covered Mountain
    1 Snow-Covered Plains

    //Sideboard: 15
    3 Smash to Smithereens
    2 Wear // Tear
    2 Eidolon of the Great Revel
    2 Deafening Silence
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Price of Progress


    Then Wayward Guide-Beast actually becomes a Landfall engine to enable all your Lynxes, while the curve is low enough to play all game off 1-2 lands.

    Edit: The strategy of Loses-To-Chalice.dec is to just accept you will scoop to G1 T1 Chalice @ 1 OTP, and play 5x answers in the SB for it. Meanwhile the extremely low curve means you are just vomiting out 1-drops every turn to get maximum damage output per mana and race most other decks.

    Path can fill multiple roles. It removes blockers, it answers faster threats like Marit Lage and Griselbrand, and it can be used on your own extra dork to enable Landfall or find a land to pitch to Fireblast.

    If you curve out Lotus Petal -> Lynx + uncracked fetch (with another fetch in hand), there are a lot of lines open:
    -Attack with 6/7 on turn 2
    -Play a 2nd Lynx, then attack with two 4/5s next turn
    -Crack fetch to block with 2/3 and EOT Bolt/Path, then attack with 4/5 next turn
    If we are playing 8lynx, I really think the deck should be playing atarka's command. MD lifegain prevention, and can easily be worth 11 damage with 2 extra land fall triggers.

  7. #7
    Member

    Join Date

    Sep 2011
    Posts

    2,444

    Re: R/g Sligh

    Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    If we are playing 8lynx, I really think the deck should be playing atarka's command. MD lifegain prevention, and can easily be worth 15 damage with 2 extra land fall triggers.
    If adding green, then I'd probably look at:
    Wild Nacatl over Lava Spike
    Atarka's Command over Light Up the Stage
    Destructive Revelry over Wear // Tear
    Maybe more than 0 Crop Rotation for the 4x Landfall turns (Lynx casually becomes 8/9 at 0 net mana cost)

    I am not sure that green is worth adding though. How much lifegain is there to play around, other than the very slow Uro? Red does have answers to lifegain.

    Edit: The way I see it, Green definitely improves the goldfish, but it destabilizes the manabase and adds variance through high risk high reward cards (the floor for Atarka is Skullcrack and the floor for Crop Rotation is Stone Raining yourself). This is probably worth it vs a goldfish or combo, but it should lose worse to Wasteland and Daze/Spell Pierce. With blue such a big part of the meta, I am not sure that this is worth the risk. The blue matchups should be much better as Rx 1 drops.dec.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)