Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Curse Stompy (Demon Stompy Reborn)

Re: Curse Stompy (Demon Stompy Reborn)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    I think its time this deck adopted the Grief/Reanimate/Troll/Rotting Regisaur package.

It dodges a ton of the hate that hits the Karn/Helm/Anvil/Chains/Chalice packages.

//Lands: 18
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Swamp
    4 Agadeem's Awakening
    1 Takenuma, Abandoned Mire

//Acceleration: 7
    3 Chrome Mox
    4 Dark Ritual

//Creatures: 25
    4 Orcish Bowmasters
    4 Opposition Agent
    4 Grief
    3 Sheoldred, the Apocalypse
    3 Troll of Khazad
    2 Dauthi Voidwalker
    2 Rotting Regisaur
    2 Shriekmaw
    1 Plague Engineer

//Other: 10
    4 Reanimate
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 The One Ring
    1 Trinisphere
    Thraben U played a similar list recently…

https://youtu.be/j7epZL5jRvg?si=omr4Rgq3LeJBH_6a

Begs the question, why devote a dozen slots to a slow and fragile easily disrupted Helm+Leyline+questionable cards like Palantir to help find these fragile combo pieces? Other combo decks are much faster, we cant race them unless we can disrupt them first.

So why not just fill those leyline helm palantir slots with hate bears, the disruptive (troll, reanimate, grief) combo and rely on undercosted beatsticks like Rotting Regisaur and Reanimated Trolls to close out the game only a turn or two slower than the Helm combo.

That way we are not trying to do two things at once, instead all of our win conditions would double as disruptive elements to stop faster combo decks.

But once youve cut both curses and helm, very little of the original deck remains and this instead looks closer to the original Demon Stompy lists.

Sep 2011

The main reason to run the Helm combo is to pickup free wins against graveyard-based decks via maindeck Leyline, not to have the fastest combo. This is even better when fair decks depend on graveyard-based threats (DRC, Murktide, Uro, Emry) and weaker when they don't (Shadow, Bowmasters).

Helm and Curse are also strong choices when the fair meta is defined by Prismatic Ending (bad at interacting with 4+ cmc permanents) instead of Thoughtseize/Grief (good at interacting with slow combo pieces in hand) or Initiative/Monarch subgame (strong vs noncreatures). The recent meta shift makes the HelmLine combo less favorable and regular beatdown better. There are also now more playable black threats.

Is Regisaur necessary?

4 Voidwalker
    4 Bowmasters
    4 Oppo Agent
    4 Grief
    4 Troll
    3 Sheoldred

4 Thoughtseize
    4 Reanimate
    4 Agadeem's Awakening
    4 Ritual
    X Sheoldred's Edict

That's already a strong core. Instead of Regisaur you could have the 4cmc Initiative creature or The One Ring at top end. I still like Shriekmaw as a 2-of. It works well with Reanimate, has a different CMC for Agadeem's Awakening, and Tomb decks can reasonably hardcast it.
    Last edited by FTW; 08-25-2023 at 08:22 AM.

Yes the recent meta shift makes the disrupt + beatdown plan better than the gravehate combo plan.

I have had issues with Voidwalker as a 4 of as my mana base has trouble with the BB cost early turns. So rather than risking multiples stuck in my hand, I prefer it as a 2 of with 2 more ready to bring in from the board against the matchups where graveyard hate matters. Similar logic for the 1 of Plague Engineer for Orcs etc.

Regisaur isnt needed but its very strong. A 7/6 for 2B is so much faster as a clock than a growing 2/2 lifelinker for 4, even with initiative. As a 2 of, its easy to time it after you empty your hand and at that point, theres basically no drawback. The ability to Reanimate discarded Shelodreds etc is also a cute trick.

Sep 2011

Do you still need 3 City of Traitors?

Its main role is turn 1 Chalice (cut) and powering out the slow 4-5 cmc pieces. With Chalice cut, 3sphere down to 0-1 copy, the slower stuff cut (Karn, Helm, Leyline, Curses), and a good number of non-Sol turn 1 lines, why run that many Sol Lands?

Ritual, Mox, and Tomb should be enough acceleration for that threat curve. You could cut down to 1 City, go up to 4 Troll + 4 Mox (or another Swamp), and have more black sources.

Your current list is already at 14 turn 1 black sources (11 land + 3 Mox). Cycling Troll + Ritual should put you well into the territory of consistent BB.

I could potentially go down to 2 city but I think 3 is perfect number. Yes City is worth it, 90% of the spells are accelerated by City. It help cast a turn faster Troll, Shriekmaw, Oppo, Regisaur, Shriekmaw, Shelodred, Plague Engineer, The One Ring and Grief.

The only BB in the deck is Voidwalker, its not worth slowing the mana base down for the sake of playing one creature as a 4 of instead of as a 2 of.

If I had to cut a mana accelerant, I would cut a Chrome Mox before cutting City. Only because Chrome Mox is card disadvantage in a deck with very few ways to recoup card disadvantage.

Chrome Mox has lost me many games vs control decks running Prismatic Ending that 2 for 1 us. Chrome Mox is also useless as a top deck.

I’ve basically quit magic, but some thoughts on curses. There were two ideas behind the deck: dark ritual can be good in a fairish shell and expensive one card comboes are viable even in a fow/daze format. I feel like I successfully proved these points and a m happy of that accomplishment. However with modern power creep, monoB scam/helmline and initiative are better at those two points now, respectively.

thrabenU did do quite well with a suboptimal build of curses though

Sep 2011

Your Curse version was imho the best version of Black Stompy in an earlier meta defined by cards like Oko, Uro, Pyroblast, and Prismatic Ending. Those decks really struggled to answer a resolved 4-5 cmc black enchantment, which made Curses & HelmLine particularly dangerous as the main combos. If they don't have the Force / Daze, you win.

The current meta has moved to Grief, Thoughtseize, Leyline Binding, Force of Vigor - unfortunately much better answers to slow black enchantments.

Spending multiple cards to accelerate a high cmc permanent that is difficult to answer (or at least answer at parity) was rare when you piloted Curses but now it's a pillar of the format (Initiative, Scam). So you did succeed there. The format has some variety instead of endless 1-for-1s.

Thread Information