Thread: [Deck] Snowday

[Deck] Snowday

So, the idea here is pretty simple, take the goodstuff Snowko style deck, and upgrade it with Omnath and Drift for extra shenanigans, because this is the kind of mirror that gets absolutely DOMINATED by Drift, and against everything else you get all kinds of extra Omnath and Uro triggers, which will win most games. Bonus, you've got free counters and a clock, so you can fight combo!

Creatures - 6
    3x Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath
    3x Omanth, Locus of Creation

Planeswalkers - 5
    3x Oko, Thief of Crowns
    1x Teferi, Time Raveler
    1x Narset, Parter of Veils

Sorceries - 2
    2x Life from the Loam

Instants - 12
    2x Swords to Plowshares
    4x Brainstorm
    4x Force of Will
    4x Censor
    2x Wilt

Enchantments - 7
    4x Astral Drift
    1x Drake Roost
    2x Lightning Rift

Artifacts - 4
    4x Arcum's Astrolabe

Lands - 20
    4x Prismatic Vista
    2x Snow Forest
    1x Snow Mountain
    1x Snow Plains
    2x Snow Island
    4x Ash Barrens
    2x Lonely Sandbar
    2x Tranquil Thicket
    1x Sheltered Thicket
    1x Irrigated Farmland

Sideboard
    2x Swords to Plowshares
    3x Snapcaster Mage
    2x Red Elemental Blast
    1x Tormod's Crypt
    2x Surgical Extraction
    3x Gilded Light
    2x Wilt

I wanted to put in some Sweltering Suns, but the double red just felt like too much of a strain on the mana for the maindeck since you basically need an Astrolabe to cast it. The Snapcaster's and StPs come in vs. aggro for the Force's and Narset. Tormod's and Surgical for gy and reanimation strategies as necessary, Gilded helps with combo, and the extra Wilts and the Snaps can come in vs. any kind of heavy artifact/enchantment deck. The answer to TNN's here is simply to outlifegain it's damage while killing with Rift and beats. The two REB's are for "Blue, the Format". And as always, remember you can put cards back with Brainstorm then use LftL to dredge them into your yard to avoid drawing them.
    Last edited by morgan_coke; 09-25-2020 at 11:18 PM.

Sep 2011

Re: [Deck] Snowday

Is that really supposed to be 4 FoN main instead of Force of Will or is that a typo?

Is Lightning Rift really good enough vs another wincon? That's a card I've wanted to cut from Slide decks for a while. After casting Loam and cycling a land, you're basically paying 4 mana to do a convoluted 3-card Punishing Fire, which can really tie up your mana

Is Drake Haven any good, even as a 1-of? It pitches to FoW and provides insane card and board advantage vs only Shocking things, and it triggers off discard too (e.g. opponents' effects or drawing too many cards from Loam).

Cast Out is another cheap cycler that might have value, especially in grindy games where you just need catch-all removal.

Why 3 Omnath, Locus of Creation? I see how it can snowball out of control in grindy fair blue mirrors, but in other matchups it's a 4-drop that doesn't win the game when you cast it and requires an engine to really shine. Is 1 copy enough main?

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Is that really supposed to be 4 FoN main instead of Force of Will or is that a typo?

Is Lightning Rift really good enough vs another wincon? That's a card I've wanted to cut from Slide decks for a while. After casting Loam and cycling a land, you're basically paying 4 mana to do a convoluted 3-card Punishing Fire, which can really tie up your mana

Is Drake Haven any good, even as a 1-of? It pitches to FoW and provides insane card and board advantage vs only Shocking things, and it triggers off discard too (e.g. opponents' effects or drawing too many cards from Loam).

Cast Out is another cheap cycler that might have value, especially in grindy games where you just need catch-all removal.

Why 3 Omnath, Locus of Creation? I see how it can snowball out of control in grindy fair blue mirrors, but in other matchups it's a 4-drop that doesn't win the game when you cast it and requires an engine to really shine. Is 1 copy enough main?
    I honestly hadn't even considered Drake Haven, but those are some good points. Rift kills 'walkers without a combat step and without casting spells once it's down. It's entirely possible 3x Omnath is too many, but he does pitch to Force, time will tell, but have you played with that card? It's pretty absurd. The FoN's aren't a typo, I figured the ability to cast the spell was worth not being able to hit creatures, but yeah, that's probably a mistake given how dumb critters have become lately.

In general I've found Cast Out to be too clunky for it's effect, especially when you've got other options to deal with stuff like Wilt available. But I wouldn't say anyone running it is wrong for doing so, it's more of a personal preference for me.

But pulling the third Rift for the 1st Drake Haven is probably a good idea. Nice catch.

Sep 2011

The big difference that a lot of people miss is Force of Negation is only free on the opponent's turn. It can stop their Chalice of the Void or Reanimate or planeswalker, but it doesn't protect your own Astral Drift in a counter war. That's a pretty big drawback vs FoW when you're tapping out to play enchantments and Loam.

2 Rift / 1 Drake Haven looks good. Interested to hear how that works out.

Omnath does look absurd... when it resolves and you can either blink it or trigger many landfalls (Loam or Slide engines). It's just also a 4-drop that costs 4 different colors, and that's asking a lot in Legacy. Many games don't even last that long, especially when you run some ETB tapped lands. High reward but high risk. Is it worth 3 slots? What about mixing it up with some lower cc creatures that have an ETB ability that affect the board? Those can get out of hand with Drift.

Edit: The deck I'm brewing in a different thread made me realize you're playing a Ramp Cycling Control deck with 0 Shark Typhoon, and not having any flying sharks just seems wrong.
    Last edited by FTW; 09-26-2020 at 01:10 PM.

Thread Information