Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Commander Legends Spoilers

Re: Commander Legends Spoilers

The interaction with Dire Fleet Daredevil and other (non-flashback) stuff that casts from unexpected zones or casts opponents' spells is cute.

Raven's Crime seems pretty interesting. How much stuff like Knowledge Pool and Possibility Storm that exiles spells is there?

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

If the spell is returned to your hand it doesn't resolve right? So it isn't a free buyback or Fork every time? Just so I understand how good this card really is...
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Apr 2014
    New Jersey

I read that card 5 times wondering what the deal was before realizing it's not "whenever you flip a coil" but "whenever you cast a spell."

What the fuck

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    If the spell is returned to your hand it doesn't resolve right? So it isn't a free buyback or Fork every time? Just so I understand how good this card really is...
    Oh okay good I thought we were gonna be seeing this replace YYoung Pyromancer in decks that still run it

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

A spell returned to your hand does not resolve. But it is cast and will trigger anything that cares about spells cast, Young Pyromancer & Prowess are all triggered regardless of the flip outcome.
    I wouldn't figure it in any fair spellcasting deck, they'd rather have their spells plain old resolve rather than "double or nothing" as the flavor text accurately notes.
    In average, this turns Lighting bolt from 3 damage for R into 6 damage for RR, cue confusedmathwoman.gif, that is a... Lightning Bolt. So nothing new. Burn would rather have more damage than new ways to maybe do the same damage as before. With Skewer the Critics we're pretty much all full up on 3 damage spells.

This does do complicated things to Dreadhorde Arcanist and similar, since the cast spell is exiled if it goes to the graveyard, so either it gets doubles on attack and exiled or goes back to your hand and not exiled.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    A spell returned to your hand does not resolve. But it is cast and will trigger anything that cares about spells cast, Young Pyromancer & Prowess are all triggered regardless of the flip outcome.
    I wouldn't figure it in any fair spellcasting deck, they'd rather have their spells plain old resolve rather than "double or nothing" as the flavor text accurately notes.
    In average, this turns Lighting bolt from 3 damage for R into 6 damage for RR, cue confusedmathwoman.gif, that is a... Lightning Bolt. So nothing new. Burn would rather have more damage than new ways to maybe do the same damage as before. With Skewer the Critics we're pretty much all full up on 3 damage spells.

This does do complicated things to Dreadhorde Arcanist and similar, since the cast spell is exiled if it goes to the graveyard, so either it gets doubles on attack and exiled or goes back to your hand and not exiled.
    Even if it returns the spell to your hand, it also counts for things like Storm Count.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Would have been interesting if Gitaxian Probe was still around.
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Sep 2011

They're really making Commander on easy mode.

"Hey casual players, remember Krark is Thumbless. He needs Thumbs!" --> Krark's Thumb in 100% of lists

Otherwise it looks unplayable in Burn and Tempo, but it has some interesting interactions with the Prowess mechanic (and YP and Dreadhorde and Sprite Dragon). On average you still get 1 spell resolved per 1 mana spent (50% chance of nothing resolved, 50% chance of doubled), but because the card goes back to hand you end up getting more potential spell casts off the same number of cards, so you end up getting more triggers overall.

That's correct, but you're still spending twice the mana to get twice the spell on average, so it's not a free fork, but pretty close to paying for a fork effect on every spell that you're casting.

There are also potential ways to exploit the ability, though I haven't found any compelling ones. IICR spells that you don't own can't be returned to your hand, so it's got some synergy with effects like Dire Fleed Daredevil. Spells cast using madness get doubled or brought back to hand. Other people have already mentioned cast triggers like Jeskai Ascendancy.

So what about manamorphose and all these red rituals. Sure its akward if you get stuck at the beginning but once you get going you should get more mana? And well alot more storm!
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Actually, I think this is a terrible idea with Dire Fleet Daredevil. The new Krark says return the spell it it's owner's hand, not yours, so they get their spell back if the flip ends up against you.
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    Actually, I think this is a terrible idea with Dire Fleet Daredevil. The new Krark says return the spell it it's owner's hand, not yours, so they get their spell back if the flip ends up against you.
    Yeah, I should read cards better.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    The interaction with Dire Fleet Daredevil and other (non-flashback) stuff that casts from unexpected zones or casts opponents' spells is cute.

Raven's Crime seems pretty interesting. How much stuff like Knowledge Pool and Possibility Storm that exiles spells is there?
    For retrace there is nothing really complicated here. Instead of going back to the graveyard it would go to your hand, or it would double and stay in the graveyard. (You don't have to discard a second land: You already paid the costs!)
    Knowlege Pool and Possibility Storm are a little more complicated:
    For Pool, if you control both you can stack it so:
    Pool resolves first, exiles the spell, and you cast a new one out of the Pool. If that new one is an instant or sorcery you trigger Krak again, and then that new spell either gets doubled or returned to your hand. (this is the same reason why tef3ri is a softlock with knowledge pool)
    Then the original Krak trigger resolves. If you lose the flip, nothing happens. The spell is off the stack and Krak can't return it to your hand. If you win the flip you still get to copy it using the last known information. (Think Bonus Round)
    Now if you do it in the other order, and resolve Krak first, you'll either win the flip, copy the spell, resolve the copy, exile the original into the pool, cast a new spell out of the pool, and trigger Krak again if it's an instant or sorcery. Or you'll lose the flip, return the spell to your hand. Put nothing into Knowlege pool, and not meet the "if you do" clause and cast nothing.
    If you control only one of these, then you don't get a stacking choice, and they'll be stacked in ANAP order.
    For possibility storm it's very similar:
    If the storm resolves first, you get a new spell to trigger.
    If the trigger resolves first, storm has no "if you do" clause, so you'll still do the possibility storm stuff and the original spell will be tucked in your hand and the new spell you storm into will trigger again.

May 2015
    PDX

Yeah so I'm not seeing the text on Khark where one of these things happens:
    -lose the flip, put spell in yard
    -may only cast 1 spell per turn
    -tap, activate target spell you control does the coin flipping thing

This is going to be super great for competitive paper play where we really have to wonder about weighted dice/coins.

Opposition Agent looks VERY legacy playable! And omg it combos with scheming symmetry! This and Maralen of the Mornsong pretty much locks your opponent out of the game! Magical Xmas land but.. T1 Thoughtseize, T2 Scheming Symmetry, respond to it with Dark Ritual into Opposition Agent, get Maralen of the Mornsong, T3 cast Maralen of the Mornsong, GG.
    Last edited by Pittplayer; 10-27-2020 at 04:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittplayer View Post
    Opposition Agent looks VERY legacy playable! And omg it combos with scheming symmetry! This and Maralen of the Mornsong pretty much locks your opponent out of the game! Magical Xmas land but.. T1 Thoughtseize, T2 Scheming Symmetry, respond to it with Dark Ritual into Opposition Agent, get Maralen of the Mornsong, T3 cast Maralen of the Mornsong, GG.
    Auto-Include in my deck. Absolutely destroys (like 3 for 1 or just straight up win the game) doomsday, goblin matron, recruiter of the guard, crop rotation, KOTR, stoneforge mystic, wishclaw talisman, or intuition. It also comboes very nicely with Field of Ruin. Destroy any of their lands, put a basic in play, put one of their basics into play as land for turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittplayer View Post
    Wonder how this will impact legacy, if it sees play, fetchlands finally have a con now. Until now, even monoblue decks needed to play fetchlands to abuse Brainstorm. Fetchlands were all upside.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Work's well with Ghost Quarter too . . . and just oh man, is this a juicy card
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Auto-Include in my deck. Absolutely destroys (like 3 for 1 or just straight up win the game) doomsday, ...
    Seems like an Aven Mindcensor with upgraded payoff. I wonder whether that's really enough to make it more than a marginal card in legacy.

I guess there's also the potential for using it in Veteran Explorer decks.

Site Contributor

Feb 2011

You only control what cards are searched for, not if the search is done in the first place. Veteran, Ghost Quarter, Path to Exile and many more say that your opponent may search. If they choose not to, it's just like a whiff on Aven Mindcensor. Granted, that card sees tremendous play, so this must be a great card!

I'm highly doubtful it will do much if anything. You need three open mana and then your opponent also needs to search. Perhaps a better Aven Mindcensor is good enough though, we'll see in time I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Non games are not only a common sight in Legacy, they are every decks plan. [...] Playing a deck like DnT and then complaining about "Non games" is hypocritical, because non games are your plan, you just disapprove of the way someone else is trying to achieve that same goal.

You're right, it's just a black Aven Mindcensor with more upside.

Veteran Explorer only ramping you and not your opponent is pretty good.

If you use it in response to a fetch, you always get value, even if your opponent uses a removal on it. Plus being able to ramp when your opponent cracks a fetch fits Nic Fits plan well.

It will see play in Nic Fit atleast

Thread Information