Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Commander Legends Spoilers

Re: Commander Legends Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Glass House View Post
    Court of Ire with Ensnaring Bridge sounds like a sure way to victory.
    Red Bridge Moon Prison. Chandras and Courts as our win conditions.

Also hoping that recent cards like Armored Skyhunter, the White Court, the Thalias (and whatever 2W Flash 3/2 lockpiece) they print will be good enough to make Angel Batterskull Stompy a viable deck again.

Regarding the threat of end step Coatl, you can try pairing Bridge with its old friend Bottled Cloister.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Gavin Verhey's thoughts about white in Commander Legends

Since he was the lead designer, worth a read, even if you agree or not.
    We need to get better at phrasing some of these "why is CARDNAME not in OTHER_COLOR" questions. Designers will always win that question, as worded. If you get them monologuing about the final implementation, they're just going to be 100% right because unless a card absolutely shatters the color wheel they'll be able to tell you exactly why a card is in the color it's printed in.

I feel like the questions would be better stated like "COLOR has access to EFFECT but it never gets printed on a tier like CARDNAME, and we can show you how it polarizes the metagame with DATA. Can we discuss why that is?"

I mean probably the biggest example of asking this question is TNN, right - White is meant to be #1 at protection, but Blue is the only color that could ever implement "protection from a player" because Blue gets to hack the game while White has to play the game. A better comment might be to challenge designers to reassert White's protection as being top-notch, on as playable a tier as TNN was, without just insisting that exactly "TNN, but castable with Plains" should have been printed. (This same idea applies to all those "White Duress" shitty card creation posts too, which I can admit I've been guilty of. It's an easy mistake to make.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    I mean probably the biggest example of asking this question is TNN, right - White is meant to be #1 at protection, but Blue is the only color that could ever implement "protection from a player" because Blue gets to hack the game while White has to play the game. A better comment might be to challenge designers to reassert White's protection as being top-notch, on as playable a tier as TNN was, without just insisting that exactly "TNN, but castable with Plains" should have been printed. (This same idea applies to all those "White Duress" shitty card creation posts too, which I can admit I've been guilty of. It's an easy mistake to make.)
    TNN is a terrible example because it was both a fuck you to the color pie and the playerbase. Maro's justification for TNN was that while white is the best color for colored protection, blue is the best for non-color protection. Except this is false on so many levels - white was also the best color for non-color protection and blue was tied with red for the worst colors that offer protection.

white was also the best color for non-color protection and blue was tied with red for the worst colors that offer protection.
    Exactly! blue and red have some nice protection against each other but the best cards vs red are still in white.

Idk with TNN i guess they just wanted to make a Merfolk and ... sell their product!

Anyway are there any good green cards in this set?
    Edit: ok the court is insteresting.
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

TNN is a terrible example because it was both a fuck you to the color pie and the playerbase. Maro's justification for TNN was that while white is the best color for colored protection, blue is the best for non-color protection. Except this is false on so many levels - white was also the best color for non-color protection and blue was tied with red for the worst colors that offer protection.
    I agree that "non-color protection" is a stretch and a copout, IIRC the non-color protection Blue had previously was like "Protection from Beasts" or something equally stupid, but let's not still act like Protection from Players could ever exist in White, I don't think that could realistically happen. I do think a playable protection creature can exist in White on a power level the same tier as, or better than, TNN, and the stronger question then becomes "how can you better demonstrate White's dominance in the protection game" and not "when do we get White True-Name".

I just think "protection from player" meaning "all sources from that player" is not something that should exist on anything other than an overcosted haymaker.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    I just think "protection from player" meaning "all sources from that player" is not something that should exist on anything other than an overcosted haymaker.
    Right, sure, but again, I think the better question will always be one where we get designers talking about bottom-up design instead of why the finished product isn't in a different color. "Make my Black/Blue cards White" is kind of a losing proposition, but "Reassert the strengths of the colors so there's no question about who's BiS with these mechanics" feels stronger to me, that's all.

Thread Information