Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Commander Legends Spoilers

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Re: Commander Legends Spoilers

Decks that main deck Plague Engineer might consider running Opposition Agent.
    Past that I don't see it warping too much of the overall flow of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post
    So what about manamorphose and all these red rituals. Sure its akward if you get stuck at the beginning but once you get going you should get more mana? And well alot more storm!
    For one more mana you get Bonus Round, which guarantees a Fork on every spell. I don't think this is a storm card.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

What an utterly disappointing card.

Opposition Agent might be the best card spoiled so far. The already mentioned combo with Maralen of the Mornsong is game ending (unless their board position is so vastly superior that you're fucked anyway). They can't draw cards, lose 3 life on each of their turns, you can search your best cards while also being able to use their best cards against them. Your own life loss is rather irrelevant since you can search for life gain cards anyway in a clutch - that's merely a matter of good deck building, nothing else.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Another, more minor, benefit of this card is that you control the player, like mindslaver, so you get to see their hand/sideboard/morphs when resolving their search (I think) edit - nvm - mindslaver doesn't allow you to look at SB since 2016.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

For one more mana you get Bonus Round, which guarantees a Fork on every spell. I don't think this is a storm card.
    A combo deck would also have to have spare mana to make Krark a viable card since mana is needed to overcome unfavorable coin flips. So that extra mana is something that you'd want for playing Krark too. Combo decks can do odd things, but it would take a lot of strangeness for Krark to make sense as a combo piece.

I've been thinking about this. With Krark, you're spending 1R and a card to (roughly) draw every instant or sorcery that you cast while he's in play twice. So it's like getting X extra cards (but no extra mana) where X is the number of spells that you cast while he's in play. If there was a spell that let you draw cards for 1R, how many would it have to draw before it became playable? Nobody plays Night's Whisper and Ideas Unbound is, at best, a marginal card. Now, Krark does offer a bit more CA than those since he's a permanent that would have to be removed, but it still seems like you want to be casting (and duping) more than two spells for him to make sense, and that's asking a lot.

Can anyone confirm if Opposition Agent allows you to look at your opps hand while you are controlling their search?

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by UseLess View Post
    You only control what cards are searched for, not if the search is done in the first place. Veteran, Ghost Quarter, Path to Exile and many more say that your opponent may search. If they choose not to, it's just like a whiff on Aven Mindcensor. Granted, that card sees tremendous play, so this must be a great card!

I'm highly doubtful it will do much if anything. You need three open mana and then your opponent also needs to search. Perhaps a better Aven Mindcensor is good enough though, we'll see in time I suppose.
    The upside to Aven Mindcensoring them is much higher. There's a good chance you can ambush them on a fetch. Only you don't just Stifle the fetch, you also get to steal a land and gain perfect information by seeing their whole library.

"Destroy target land. Gain +1 land" is pretty good value for what's basically a flash ETB trigger (assuming they play around it afterwards).

The perfect information advantage can't be overlooked either. You can infer the contents of their hand (if not see it directly) and know exactly how to SB against them next game. That is a lot better than just Stifling the fetch with Mindcensor.

This fits pretty well into Reeplcheep's Curse Stompy deck, where opponents will need to crack fetches into open 2B just to beat Trinisphere.

It also has potential with forced searches like Scheming Symmetry, which turns into Imperial Seal + steal the best card from their deck.

Perfect for a Sinkhole+Wasteland.dec

Is land destruction back on the menu in legacy?

How about Krak the Thumbless in a big red deck that plays cards like Seething Song (Manamorphose/Rite of Flame/Pyretic Ritual/Ironcreg Feet/Geosurge).

A Seething Song the turn after casting Krak either makes you 10 mana, or goes back to your hand to try again the next turn.

What's the best I win the game 6-10cc spell for Red other than Belcher/Warrens, some giant resilient dragon?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    What's the best I win the game 6-10cc spell for Red other than Belcher/Warrens, some giant resilient dragon?
    Dragonstorm is pretty good if there's a decent storm count. Krark makes non-storm instant and sorcery payoffs unreliable which shortens the list of possibilities considerably.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

So what's a good shell for this? The ideal play seems to be:

1 Land + Discard or Mana Dork/Accel
    2 Land + Hold mana open for Opposition Agent in response to a search (Dark Ritual in hand if Mana Dork wasn't cast earlier).
    3 Land + Discard/Creature Kill and if Opposition Agent in play then Scheming Symmetry for Maralen to get the lock and win.

So something like:

18 Land
    6 Discard
    6 Creature Kill
    4 Mana Dork/ Accel
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Opposition Agent
    4 Scheming Symmetry
    1 Maralen

That's 13 cards open, but I think the intuition is to add blue just because blue is blue and the best, so we want to have at least 18-19 blue cards, so we need to make room for an additional 6-7 blue cards in the above. Drown in the Loch can take the place of 1-2 Creature kill, so that leaves about 4-5 more cards we need to cut for blue. Any suggestions?

The blue shell being

7-10 Cantrips
    7-10 Counters
    2-4 Threats
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    So what's a good shell for this? The ideal play seems to be:

Any suggestions?
    I'm curious about the potential of a nic fit kind of shell with Eldrich Evolution as a way to find 3-drops.

Sep 2011

If you're going for the combo, you can just play 4x Maralen and 1x Agent in an Aether Vial hatebears deck.

Tick Vial to 3,
    EOT flash in Maralen
    Draw step tutor for Agent and Vial it in.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    If you're going for the combo, you can just play 4x Maralen and 1x Agent in an Aether Vial hatebears deck.

Tick Vial to 3,
    EOT flash in Maralen
    Draw step tutor for Agent and Vial it in.
    I have been playing it in a monoblack pox shell. 4 Agents, 1 Mornsong, a couple Dimir Machinations, some Unearths, and some other 3 mana tutor targets like Ensnaring Bridge. It has worked pretty well. I'm also running Bloodghasts and Plage Engineers.

The upside to Aven Mindcensoring them is much higher. There's a good chance you can ambush them on a fetch. Only you don't just Stifle the fetch, you also get to steal a land and gain perfect information by seeing their whole library.

"Destroy target land. Gain +1 land" is pretty good value for what's basically a flash ETB trigger (assuming they play around it afterwards).

The perfect information advantage can't be overlooked either. You can infer the contents of their hand (if not see it directly) and know exactly how to SB against them next game. That is a lot better than just Stifling the fetch with Mindcensor.

This fits pretty well into Reeplcheep's Curse Stompy deck, where opponents will need to crack fetches into open 2B just to beat Trinisphere.

It also has potential with forced searches like Scheming Symmetry, which turns into Imperial Seal + steal the best card from their deck.
    Also the potential for gamewinning plays if you steal Intuition or Buried alive. Or lol vs doomsday !!
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Which means this curves into bonus round...

Quote Originally Posted by Pittplayer View Post
    Can anyone confirm if Opposition Agent allows you to look at your opps hand while you are controlling their search?
    You do.
    And if they have a panglacial wurm you can even tap their mana.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post
    Also the potential for gamewinning plays if you steal Intuition or Buried alive. Or lol vs doomsday !!
    If I have the rules right, with Doomsday you could:
    -exile their FoWs and potentially cast them at any time by pitching blue cards from your hand
    -exile and cast their discard spells to empty their hand
    -leave them with 0 library

If I have the rules right, with Doomsday you could:
    -exile their FoWs and potentially cast them at any time by pitching blue cards from your hand
    -exile and cast their discard spells to empty their hand
    -leave them with 0 library
    Confident you are 0-for-3 here.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Confident you are 0-for-3 here.
    You 100% can exile 5 cards from their library, exile their graveyard & library, and play the 5 cards you steal. Not sure if you can steal cards from their graveyard.

Per the rulings on Gonti, Lord of Luxury:
    You pay the costs for the exiled card if you cast it. You may pay alternative costs such as emerge rather than the card’s mana cost.
    (2016-09-20)
    the fow example should work.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Doomsday should be game over, since you'll control the search, the 5 cards that would be put on top get exiled under Opposition Agent, the rest get regular exiled, and Doomsday resolves with zero cards in library.

Whatever the 5 you picked can be cast, and nothing about Force of Will's alternate cost cares about being cast from hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Thread Information