4 Surgical Extraction
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Abrade
    1 Walking Ballista
    1 Goblin Cratermaker
    1 Magus of the Moon

So yea, doesn’t really look like Shortcake, does it? To answer that question, we go back to 4:30pm Friday, 30 minutes before the event kicked off. Whenever I need to brew Painter, I’ll bounce my random thoughts off Seth aka sroncor, one of the Painter OGs from 2008. Whenever he’s not fully lost in Old School, he can be pretty helpful with all the old deck theory. Anyways, I guessed that this online event was going to be the first of its kind, one where the usual problems of card access or price weren’t going to be an issue. There would probably be a lot of ‘perfect’ manabases and top tier decks and counterpicks, which in that case meant there was only one way to go. The metagame basically went full circle. No one has really respected Blood Moon for over a year now, making it the perfect time to break out some decade old imperial painter builds and go full Blood Moon.

A lot of changes can be made when that’s one of your primary goals again. I went down to 18 lands with no fetches or white or anything. I dropped a petal for the second monkey, and compensated with the two artifact lands. The 4th city is something I’ve never run either, but said why not it’ll help the nut draw. The Trinisphere is the pseudo-canonist that you can Engineer to the yard. I wanted some type of storm hate in the 75 and having it main acts as a weird 5th moon effect that you can sometimes find. To make room for all this, I put all the Recruiter bullets in the board. Karn’s flexibility with the board really lets you be aggressive with numbers on the blasts or hate pieces.

As for the actual event, it kicked off right after 5pm eastern. 581 players, 10 full rounds, no draws.

Round 1 vs Dredge

Game 1: This match was pretty strange. Either my opponent was new to Dredge, new to Magic Online, or both. I start the day off on the draw with a mull into Mountain, 2x Painter, Grindstone, Copter, Bolt. I get a nice surprise when he mulls to 4, except then casts therapy to bin a grave troll revealing Coliseum. I just drop a mountain leaving up bolt, not wanting to cast Grindstone and telegraph my two Painters to cabal therapy. His grave-troll dredge completely whiffs on bridges, ichorids, and dredgers, only hitting a Narc. I bolt it endstep, playing out Grindstone on my turn. His turn is just a pass, rather than play and activate coliseum to draw/discard. I draw Moon and pass back, while his turn is hardcasting a Golgari Thug and passing again. Somehow I still have my Painters in hand, and I rip a Tomb, drop a Painter with blast at the ready and combo when I untap.

side: -4 Moon, -1 Trinisphere, -3 Karn, -1 Copter, +4 Surgical, +2 Blast, +1 Crypt, +1 Bridge, +1 Grindstone

Game 2: I keep a hand that in retrospect might not be good enough. Mountain, Furnace, City, Petal, Painter, Recruiter, Surgical. My opponent’s turn 1 is a Gemstone Mine, LED, and then a faithless looting without cracking LED. He bins a therapy and grave troll and passes. I play Painter go, and his next turn is another Faithless Looting and a Breakthrough to go really deep. 50 cards down basically, I probably should have surgicaled the narcs but didn’t, since I really didn’t think I had outs to what was about to happen. I end up getting DR’d for Iona, but wouldn’t be able to beat the Ichorid’s next turn or bridge zombies etc. Should have hit the Narcs and prayed for topdeck Crypt. I spycheck the next and wouldn’t have gotten there anyways so bullet dodged.

Game 3: I mull to 5 keeping Tomb, Painter, Blast, Surgical, Crypt. Not too shabby. He opens slow, while I draw a mountain, feeling pretty safe now. He goes deeper on turn 2 with a Looting, and Cabal Therapies me naming Grindstone when I let it resolve. I have to just play draw go until I can find a stone. His draw step dredge finally sees an ichorid, but then another faithless looting dumps more cards. I go ahead and just crypt for 35 cards or so. I find an Engineer a few turns later to seal the win.

1-0

Not the sharpest start, but I’ll take it

Round 2 vs Doomsday

Game 1: On the play for this round I mull to 6, keeping Mountain, Tomb, Copter, Painter, Moon, Trinisphere. I decide to lead out Mountain first rather than Copter just so I wouldn’t risk a wasteland to stop my Blood Moon. Meanwhile they’ve mulled to 5, and go Misty into Underground Sea and Duress. Pretty lucky and then unlucky to have the Trinisphere ready, only to be perfectly discarded. Fortunately, Blood Moon does a pretty solid job of punishing the fetch choice and subsequent land drops and buys me a ton of time to get Painter online and start some Copter beats. I find a Welder a few turns later, which gets me Trinisphere back into play. I let a Doomsday resolve to make my Painter and Welder lethal the next turn, and blast a Brainstorm trying to start the pile

side: -4 Bolt, -4 Moon, +2 Blast, +4 Surgical, +1 Magus, +1 Grindstone

Game 2: I keep a hand that gets run over by Turn 1 Dark rit into Doomsday, with the follow up win on turn 2.

Game 3: I keep Mountain, 2x Furnace, City, Grindstone, Engineer, Copter. A couple things going on with this hand. It’s a pretty quick combo or Trinisphere, but also Grindstone is its own little hate piece against Doomsday trying to screw their pile. I drop stone, while my opponent uses two lotus petals to preordain then ponder, then drops an Underground Sea to play another Preordain. Had this turn been in paper it would have taken 10 minutes I’m sure. I untap and decide to use my City of Traitors to play Engineer to play around Daze, which he decides to do anyway? Misty pass back, I play Furnace, activate stone, and engineer Painter back into play naming white. Gets there

2-0

Round 3 vs Esper Vial – champ_n

Game 1: I mull down to 5, keeping 2x Mountain, Welder, Painter, Blast. I lead out Welder go, while he drops a Sea and a Vial. So blinking humans etc. Should be a good matchup. I draw Karn, and play Painter, which eats a swords to plowshares on his turn. I play a second welder, only to be blown out by Plague Engineer. The game is pretty much over, but I play it out, drawing and using a City to play Karn to fetch grindstone. I draw zero gas the rest of the game and the legacy all star combo of Soulherder and Charming Prince dominates me.

side: -4 Moon, -1 Trinisphere, -1 Petal, +1 blast, +2 Abrade, +1 Cratermaker, +1 Bridge, +1 Ballista

Game 2: I keep a solid hand of Furnace, 2x City, Stone, Painter, Copter, Bolt. I start on grindstone, matched by a Vial. I topdeck my Cratermaker to blow it up. His turn 2 is a Meddling Mage, which curiously names Pyroblast. I untap, play out Painter which doesn’t get forced, and play my second city to activate and win.

Game 3: Mountain, Furnace, 2x Painter, Cratermaker, Bridge, Blast. Yet again they lead on a turn 1 vial. I topdeck Ancient Tomb and go aggressive, playing out one of my Painters which eats a Force. Nothing happens turn two, so I cast and crater the Vial. Turn 3 is a Recruiter of the Guard finding Meddling Mage. I draw a Copter and play that out to set up for the turn after. A Flickerwisp is the follow up, blinking Recruiter to find a Skyclave Apparition. Gotta make moves now, so I play Painter, armed with two blasts. Force of Will? Sniped. Skyclave Apparition? Sniped. I’m at 8 against Flickerwisp and Recruiter, and start looting to find action. I have to a make a tough decision to keep a Bolt while pitching Ensnaring Bridge to drop Karn and go to 6 life. A meddling mage comes down to name Pyroblast, while a complete last card bomb of Leonin Relic Warder is cast. My Painter gets exiled, and Flickerwisp crashes in against Karn. The bolt saves my ass, keeping Karn up. I Karn wish on my turn for the Painter trapped under the Relic Warder, and am able to use tomb to activate and end at 3 life

3-0

Round 4 vs Eldrazi - Elph

Game 1: I mull down to 5, keeping Tomb, City, Painter, Moon, Pyroblast. I start with Tomb into Painter on White, hoping to dodge interaction and get lucky. A Once upon a time revealing Eldrazi Temple is the first spell, and I’m feeling pretty good. Then Ancient Tomb and Chalice at 1 happens. To rub it in, I draw Grindstone on my turn for the turn 2. Can’t chalice check online so I die soon after.

side: -1 Trinisphere, -2 Copter, -1 Blast, -1 x, +2 Abrade, +1 Magus, +1 Cratermaker, +1 Bridge

Game 2: Mountain, Furnace, Petal, Magus, Cratermaker, Stone, Karn. This time its his turn to mull to 5. Grindstone, go. Eldrazi Temple, go. Turn two Magus and a staring contest with an Eldrazi Mimic. Goblin Welder joins in and I start natty milling myself in search of a Painter to combo out.

Game 3: Mountain, Furnace, City, Petal, Painter, Copter, Engineer. He leads an Eldrazi Temple, while I play Mountain and Petal to start on Painter. I felt City was way more important for later plays than to blow it early for Painter, plus since Painter is a hate piece against Eldrazi I was cool blowing the Petal for it. My hand lines up well with his plays, as I can deal with his turn two chalice with my Goblin Engineer, entombing Grindstone. I play it safe for a turn and drop Karn first to eat Chalice and unlock the blast in my hand, and combo out the turn after.

4-0

Round 5 vs Rug Chimpin - Arapako

Game 1: 3x Mountain, Tomb, Stone, Recruiter, Karn. I just start playing basics and casting spells. Turn 1 stone, turn 2 copter, turn 3 recruiter, turn 4 bolt an Arcanist and Painter gets forced. I end up in an Oko subgame that eats my Grindstone, but I attack him down and find a Welder and another Painter. Enter more weird scenarios where he can’t attack into me with Goyf since I’d block with Grindstone and then combo weld after. Instead two Arcanists end up getting sacrificed for cantrip flashbacks, and somehow I’ve dodged any burn spells. I manage to squeeze a Karn in in between Wastelands in to tutor another stone. He has to swing in to kill Karn with a Mandrills, so the final turn comes and I crack back. He tries to Wasteland my Great Furnace, which I use to send a bolt to the dome. He’s forced to use a newly found bolt of his own to kill my copter to stay alive. I have 4 mana left which is just enough for Grindstone plus activation.

side: -2 Karn, -1 Trinisphere, +2 Abrade, +1 Cratermaker

Game 2: I get greedy and get punished. Bolt, Blast, Welder, Stone, Copter, Tomb, Moon. With a red it’s the nut. Without and you get run over like I did.

Game 3: Furnace, 2x Tomb, Bolt, Blast, Monkey, Moon. This is basically an all in Moon hand, but I wanted to set it up with Blast protection rather than turn 1 it. I lead on Tomb to bait Wasteland and protect the Furnace. He mulls to 6 and plays Fetch go. I play my second tomb, while he plays an Arcanist. Go time. I play the Furnace and use a tomb to cast Blood Moon. He forces, I monkey blast back. Moon resolves, and I use my Ancient Tomb mountain to bolt the Arcanist. GG. Except his last three cards plus three draw steps are Arcanist number two and three bolts to flashback. Just awesome design right there.

4-1

So after that I was pretty tilted. I knew that 9-1 was the likely Top 8 record, and having my loss come that way was extremely annoying. Luckily I lost pretty quick and was able to walk around outside for a bit before coming back to crush the rest. The mana was feeling surprisingly good to this point. Not taking any damage off fetches or worrying about Plateau, etc.

Round 6 vs 4c Joko Maverick – Thebigempty92

Game 1: On the draw I keep Tomb, City, Petal, 2x Copter, Engineer, Karn. Windswept pass, while I draw a mountain like a G. I start on Copter, and my turn two Engineer gets forced. Two heaths find a Tundra and a Taiga, then a basic snow forest play an Oko. Sadly I don’t have the Blood Moon to punish. I do have a Karn with Blast backup though, and I eat his food token. He makes another and Green Sun’s for Collector Ouphe to rain on my parade. I go get a Needle to stop Oko and tank an Ouphe hit to Karn. Now that we’re both topdecking, he gets some lands, while I’m able to Karn plus on my Copter through Ouphe to get the filter train going. I eventually get a Painter out and some Blood Moon protection. A few more turns and a blast offs the Ouphe, and I combo out.

side: -4 Blood Moon, -1 Trinisphere, -1 Petal, +2 Abrade, +1 Cratermaker, +2 Blast, +1 Ballista

Game 2: Mountain, Tomb, Welder, 2x Blast, Painter, Karn. Nice. Turn 1 Noble Hierarch, while I topdeck Grindstone. I lead Mountain Welder instead of Grindstone for Oko, while he ramps out a Knight of the Reliquary. I draw another Tomb, and play Painter with Blast protection. His turn three is an Oko that I let through. He Elks my Painter, then Knights away a Land for a Plains. I untap, play the other tomb, and use both to cast and activate Grindstone, ready with my blast. Milled.

5-1

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So some spoilers ahead, I shared my replay with Julian for this next match, as it’s apparently currently in the works to be part of a Wizards coverage and commentary cycle for Eternal Weekend, where Anuraag and some suits are going to retro commentate. This round definitely stood out from the rest in terms of importance at this stage in the event with us at 5-1, xjcloud’s skill with dnt, and how insane the match was overall. So if you want to watch that whenever it comes out and sweat alongside me instead of reading this recap, just skip over to Round 8

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 7 vs Death and Taxes - xjcloud

Game 1: I lose the roll and assume it’s Dnt. I guess I decided to yolo a bit and kept Mountain, Petal, Welder, Engineer, Stone, Trinisphere, Karn. Pretty sketchy but like most hands you get there with a land. He starts on Port Vial, while I draw Great Furnace. My Welder eats a Swords on turn two, and a second vial comes down. I draw Ancient Tomb and use Petal to power out a Karn to stop the vials, and also to grab Pithing Needle. He drops Thalia. I debate playing out my Trinisphere to lock off spells, but I wanted to get Grindstone down, and the mana lined up to play both that and the Engineer to threaten the win the next turn. A second swords to plowshares and Karn gets beat down to 2. I end up having to play out the Trinisphere and plus with Karn to make him a 3/3 dude for protection. I also get needle into play naming Wasteland soon after, and with the soft Trini-Karn lock I’m able to stall and find a Painter a few turns later.

side: -4 Blood Moon, -1 Trinisphere, -1 Petal, -1 Blast, +2 Abrade, +1 Magus, +1 Cratermaker, +1 Ballista

Game 2: I keep my 6 of Furnace, Tomb, Welder, Stone, 2x Blast. Plains, go. I draw Engineer and all of a sudden this hand is looking stacked. His turn two is a Port that taps down my land. I draw mountain and play stone. Welder eats swords, and my Engineer gets Skyclaved. I get out a Ballista that I’m trying to grow, but a Wasteland on my tomb and ports make it tough. Rest in Peace shuts off my yard, and a Flickerwisp on my Ballista pretty much seals it.

Game 3: 2x Mountain, City, Monkey, Bolt, Cratermaker, Magus. I start slow, waiting for a potential Magus blowout. Mountain, Karakas, Mountain, Port. I get Ported and play City and Magus. He does have a Plains, but I guess no Swords, as he has to play one spell a turn pretty much. Thalia, Recruiter, Stoneforge. I’ve only drawn more mana, one of which is a second Monkey, so I play one out along with a Painter to get some blocking going. The Jitte he finds is about to be a problem, and he puts it into play and equips to start bashing. I bolt the Thalia to prevent counters. I draw Recruiter for Ballista, and play out Cratermaker and bash to 14. Ideally I’d just kill the Jitte, but Painter turns off Cratermaker’s colorless ability. He equips Stoneforge on his turn, which I shoot in combat. A second plains and a Skyclave kill my Painter. I draw a bolt, and cast Ballista for X=2. Flickerwisp screws up that plan and targets Ballista, forcing me to shoot down it and the recruiter. He equips Skyclave and swings, but my lucky bolt saves me and gives me the 2/2 spirit. I draw another bomb on my turn in Abrade, and swing for 7 putting him to 7. I go all in and cast the second monkey leaving me just the abrade. I think I have it until a Flickerwisp answers the spirit, and a Thalia gets equipped with Jitte. Abrade on Thalia is super clutch, as Flickerwisp was then forced to chump. A last ditch Sanctum Prelate is equipped with Jitte, but my squad of Monkeys and Recruiters is able to deal lethal through the block.

6-1

Round 8 vs Hogaak - Chilledaded

Game 1: Mountain, Furnace, City, Bolt, 2x Painter. Not the best, but has potential. A turn 1 stitcher’s supplier and I know I’m in trouble. I play City and Painter thinking maybe I could topdeck a grindstone. His turn two is more prep while I don’t draw anything helpful. I get Altar dunked on hard turn 3.

side: -1 Trinisphere, -3 Karn, -2 Copter, -4 Bolt +1 Magus, +4 Surgical, +1 Crypt, +1 Stone, +1 Bridge, +2 Blast

Game 2: 2x Mountain, Tomb, Welder, Blast, Surgical, Painter. Surgical is usually pretty bad against Hogaak, but it can at least buy some time for me to setup Painter and Blast. I start on Welder, whle he fetches and a Stitcher’s bins double Hogaak. I figure that’s the best I can hope for, and surgical them all. I see a Force of Vigor, and bait it out with my Painter as I had drawn a Copter. This game ended up being really sketchy. I had to block a bunch of Bloodghasts to loot, and wasn’t able to bring back Painter until I was around 10 life. Double Stitcher, double Bloodghast, and a Gravecrawler chip me down to 5, but that’s the loot that found me the stone. I untap and win at 3 life.

Game 3: 2x Mountain, City, Engineer, Recruiter, Bridge, Moon. The ultimate risk/reward. If they have Force of Vigor it’s just over. He goes to 5. Sea, Careful Study pitching two Vengevines. Turn 2 is a Bayou and pass. I jam Moon turn 2 and it sticks. Turn 3 Recruiter for Painter, and by then I’ve drawn a blast to protect against Force of Vigor. When Painter resolves the turn after I know it’s in the bag.

7-1

This is another area where trying to consistently rely on Moon will be high variance. Force of Vigor is probably the best card in the format against Painter and has tilted some previously 90/10 matchups like Lands way back towards even. But the other times you don’t even need to do anything else. That’s usually the real question when you play Imperial Painter. Top 8 of a huge tournament on the line, Game 3, are you keeping the yolo Blood Moon with no fallback plan?

Round 9 vs 4c Joko – Slasher21

Game 1: 2x Mountain, Tomb, Bolt, Blast, Karn, Moon. Mountain, go, which sees Snow Island and Astrolabe. I drop Moon hoping to stall. Two more fetches and two more Astrolabes. I play out Karn trying to lock down all the mana, and it gets forced. I blast back, and his two mountained fetches feed red non-snow mana through Astrolabe to cast Abrupt Decay on my moon. Some more solid Wizards design right there. With all the mana freed up I get drowned by a Sylvan Library, Jace, and Oko.

side: -4 Moon, -1 Trinisphere, -2 Petal, +2 Blast, +1 Cratermaker, +4 Surgical

Game 2: Mountain, Stone, Painter, 2x Blast, Recruiter, Karn. You know the game is going long so with all the best cards already in hand why mull? I draw a tomb on turn 3 to play Recruiter for a second Painter, while my opponent by turn 3 has three more astrolabes and an Uro in the yard. Fortunately, I also drew a Surgical, which I use to snipe the Uro and see 2x Swords, Force, Ponder, Leo. After seeing that it should be pretty easy. I play Painter number 1 and blast the first swords. He untaps, and plays the second. Blast that one too. From there he has to force pitching ponder, and plays Leo. I don’t draw a mana, but instead cast Karn to wish for the second Painter again. I mill out a turn later with double painter to guard against removal from the Leo trigger.

Game 3: 2x Tomb, Stone, Copter, Karn, Welder, Engineer. Well, another classic hand where a red mana makes it the nut. Snow Forest Astrolabe. I draw a second Welder and play Copter. Like a champ I rip a Mountain and play out Engineer entombing Painter and Grindstone, and Copter bash in. End step Grindstone is Abrupt Decayed and then my Engineer dies to Swords during the main. I draw a Surgical and go for all the Swords to Plowshares, seeing a hand of Ice-Fang, Leo, Oko, and Delta. Knowing the coast is clear I play Karn and Welder, figuring he has to Elk my creature. I’m able to crack back and kill oko. He tries to stabilize with a second Oko to kill my Painter, but the combination of looting, constant 3/3 pressure, and the combo kill let me finish if off comfortably with 11 life and two backup blasts in hand.

8-1

At this point I know it’s on. Win and in time. I go take another walk, refreshing the list of results to see how many X-1s there’d be for the last. When the round completes, I’m in 6th place with I think JPA at 9-0 and then 11 others tied with me at 8-1

Round 10 vs Eldrazi – Blade400

Game 1: On the play I mull into a sketchy 6 that I rationalize as almost a turn 2. City, 2x Monkey, Stone, Engineer, Recruiter. I just need zero interaction and a topdecked mana source. I go all in turn one with City, Monkey, Stone, Engineer for Painter. He mulls to 6, and starts on Cavern of Souls naming Eldrazi. I think I’ve won. Then Engineer dies to dismember. Extremely tilting. That’s like a one off copy in the list. I try to recover and play Recruiter on turn 2 getting Painter. I get even more screwed when he plays turn 2 Karn going to 6 loyalty. What even is this Eldrazi list? I bash Karn down to 5 and play Painter. He wishes down to 3 for Liquimetal Coating, and Coating Ports my City on upkeep. I draw a Mountain and swing Karn down to 1. I figure I have to lose my City by playing Mountain to get my Welder out in case he has a blocker, even though I’ll probably also lose my land to Karn the next turn. But as long as Karn is there I’m dead. He shoots my land going back up to 2 loyalty, and drops a Thought-Knot Seer. Just great. I alpha strike Karn with my 3 dudes, and he blocks Painter, leaving me with a board of Recruiter, Welder, and Grindstone. Karn is dead, so I have a shot. He attacks me to 16 and plays a monster 8/8 Endless One. I rip a City of Traitors and play it. He attacks, I block with Recruiter going to 12. He plays another 8/8 Endless One. Facing lethal, I am somehow in this game. I literally get up from my desk to leave the match to go outside again so I can fist pump at the moon like a madman at 2am, trying to channel infinite good luck into this draw step. I just need a mana source and I will steal game 1, and have an extremely good chance at stealing one of the last two. I come back in, sit down, going crazy, super hyped I click to go to my turn and draw a Recruiter ☹

side: -1 Trinisphere, -2 Copter, -1 Blast, -1 x, +2 Abrade, +1 Magus, +1 Cratermaker, +1 Bridge

Game 2: 2x Mountain, Engineer, Abrade, Recruiter, Blast, Moon. Not the best hand, Turn 1 Moon or Painter is probably ideal, but I don’t think this can be a mull on the play. He plays an opening game leyline that shut off my goblins. I also don’t draw a third mana source and am unable to Blood Moon his mana base before a stream of Reality Smashers wreck my face.

After the loss there was a small chance I could still make it on breakers, but JPA lost to his pairdown adding another 9-1 and then Mr Prof or something who was 2nd or 3rd lost to gul dukat in 12th. All the standings could be wrong, I don’t know if each round sorts by breakers, but after those there was only one 8-2 who made it. I managed to sneak into top 16 after all the numbers were run

8-2

16/581

All in all I can't be too mad even with the loss at the end to what I think is usually a good matchup. That particular build just lined up really well against Painter. I checked afterwards and saw the three dismembers main as well as three Karns. Those two definitely carried game 1, but the deck still gave me the chance to topdeck and win. Still, pretty massive run towards the top 8 throwing it back to the golden days of legacy with some Mono-red Imperial Painter. Deck still has it after all these years.

As for what I want to test next, here are my thoughts as of now, which assume Oko, Astrolabe, and Griselbrand will still be around after the next ban cycle. The Blood Moons were a cool idea for trying to spike this tourney, but they did get boarded out a lot. After playing this kind of list and comparing it to Shortcake, I did like the fact that my mulls to 5 were stronger, which I noticed happening a couple times. Here's what I'm thinking, plus some deck pimpin updates:

That's all I have for now.

In the meantime stay painting, and as usual

#FreeNedleeds

Last edited by Kap'n Cook; 10-24-2020 at 10:02 AM.
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Re: Barreling through Eternal Weekend Karakas: 16th with Imperial Painter

Great work Bob!

Jul 2015
    Tri-state Area

I love these write ups, so fucking entertaining. Congrats on the win, its always a trip to see you place well lol. Your altered Painters are super hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n Cook View Post
    Round 1 vs Dredge
    -3 Karn, [...] +1 Crypt, +1 Bridge, +1 Grindstone
    I personally have no respect for Dredge and would have just called it at the +4 Surgical. Karn representing a 4 mana Crypt (I personally feel) is perfectly playable especially with Sol lands and 5 pieces of fast mana, and following that he represents the win. Sure if you land Karn you might be winning anyway, but there's a lot of times where you use up your first piece of Grave interaction and you're both topdecking, and the Ichorids are more grindy than your deck is, and its there that I like the Karns better than an individual Crypt or Grindstone.

two lotus petals to preordain then ponder, then drops an Underground Sea to play another Preordain. Had this turn been in paper it would have taken 10 minutes I’m sure
    Actually made me laugh

Round 5 vs Rug Chimpin - Arapako
    end up in an Oko subgame
    Ugh, what a nailbiter otherwise

With a red it’s the nut.
    The ultimate trap. If you're not running blue, I've learned that 1 landers literally never pan out, disregarding fast mana

I keep Tomb, City, Petal, 2x Copter, Engineer, Karn. [...] I draw a mountain like a G
    Remember boys and girls, you are not the Kap'n and it won't happen to you ;-; I do wonder if Coptor is what helped convince the opponent to force Engineer and if it's good just for making your 1/x's Forceable.

Round 7 vs Death and Taxes - xjcloud
    like most hands you get there with a land
    I dunno, you need another land assuming you burn that petal. Every time you pull this off though....Game 2 absolutely sounds like every DnT match I play: inconsequential set back after set back until you lose. The fact you won game 3 with the beatdown is super endearing and everything I wished UG matchups entailed

Round 8 vs Hogaak - Chilledaded
    Honestly, I do want to know what potential 5 lands and a bolt has in the blind, that's hella wack. Best case you bolt a Delver and then get run over lol.

Top 8 of a huge tournament on the line, Game 3, are you keeping the yolo Blood Moon with no fallback plan?
    This should be stickied to the top of the Imperial Painter Primer

Round 10 vs Eldrazi – Blade400
    Game 1:
    It just got worse as I kept reading, the horror! Karns in colorless decks (or largely) are just a nightmare scenario.

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by tired_papasmurf View Post
    I personally have no respect for Dredge and would have just called it at the +4 Surgical. Karn representing a 4 mana Crypt (I personally feel) is perfectly playable especially with Sol lands and 5 pieces of fast mana, and following that he represents the win. Sure if you land Karn you might be winning anyway, but there's a lot of times where you use up your first piece of Grave interaction and you're both topdecking, and the Ichorids are more grindy than your deck is, and its there that I like the Karns better than an individual Crypt or Grindstone.
    I can agree with these thoughts, its just a matter of approach and differences in speed I guess. Boarding in artifacts and out the karns helps your Welder/Engineer lines.

Quote Originally Posted by tired_papasmurf View Post
    Honestly, I do want to know what potential 5 lands and a bolt has in the blind, that's hella wack. Best case you bolt a Delver and then get run over lol.
    Ah my mistake, good catch on the error. The 2x Furnace is 2x Painter lol
    Strawberry Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

Jul 2015
    Tri-state Area

Ah my mistake, good catch on the error. The 2x Furnace is 2x Painter lol
    Ah, I see what you mean then, definitely potential!

Fair point on the Welder/Engineer lines, having the Crypt to Engineer for can be clutch

M1 G1 if your opponent just dredge'd a grave-troll and put a narco into play he likely only had 5 cards in gy, which means he did not have threshold for Cephalid Coliseum

Skipping the covered match since Julian said it was the best game they covered on his podcast.

Great job!

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    M1 G1 if your opponent just dredge'd a grave-troll and put a narco into play he likely only had 5 cards in gy, which means he did not have threshold for Cephalid Coliseum

Skipping the covered match since Julian said it was the best game they covered on his podcast.

Great job!
    Thanks g. For the dredge one, I was shook cuz I thought they would’ve gone dredge troll put narco in, flashback therapy sac narco name troll and that puts them back at 7 for coliseum. Or sac the thug to get a dredger. Dunno it was just weird
    Strawberry Shortcake

#FreeNedleeds

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

His turn 2 is a Meddling Mage, which curiously names Pyroblast. I untap, play out Painter which doesn’t get forced, and play my second city to activate and win.
    He probably had another Meddling Mage and got greedy, although with you having shown Cratermaker earlier, it was an unwise choice.

I Karn wish on my turn for the Painter trapped under the Relic Warder, and am able to use tomb to activate and end at 3 life
    Sick play!

I play out Karn trying to lock down all the mana, and it gets forced. I blast back, and his two mountained fetches feed red non-snow mana through Astrolabe to cast Abrupt Decay on my moon.
    Ban Astrolabe.

He mulls to 6, and starts on Cavern of Souls naming Eldrazi. I think I’ve won. Then Engineer dies to dismember. Extremely tilting. That’s like a one off copy in the list.
    In my experience, it's often a three-of in Eldrazi Aggro. The deck needs removal for Delver, and options are pretty scarce. Warping Wail and Spatial Contortion are other options that sometimes see play. Karn is sometimes in lists and sometimes not.

[Pic]

Deck looks fantastic!

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

Congratulations! Thanks for the recap, I always look forward to your work (and and new content on The Source these days...)

Oh yeah, free Ned Leeds
    Listen up shitizens! http://www.noagendashow.com/
    Be a part of the magic! OBDM https://ourbigdumbmouth.com/

Cheers for the writeup!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Legacy decks: mono U painter, strawberry shortcake, imperial painter, solidarity, burn
    EDH decks: zedruu voltron, rakdos the defiler, persistent petitioners, blind seer

keepin' it unreal
    May 2007
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Congratulations for the top 8, and thanks for the report!
    "Want all, lose all."

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

Very entertaining read, thanks for posting! :)

Man, this makes me want to sling cards myself again... f**ckung 2020!

Sep 2013
    Under hill.

Great job, Jack. Congratulations on a great finish. I always love your reports. And, it's really great to see you and Shortcake solidly back in action.

So in the photo, I can't quite make out the three ladies you have separating the main deck from the sideboard. What are they and why are they pictured with the deck?

LoR

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_of_Rivendell View Post
    Great job, Jack. Congratulations on a great finish. I always love your reports. And, it's really great to see you and Shortcake solidly back in action.

So in the photo, I can't quite make out the three ladies you have separating the main deck from the sideboard. What are they and why are they pictured with the deck?

LoR
    Lol thanks, this report was actually from October for the online Eternal Weekend. No matter though, the white sideboard dividers I picked up at GP Atlanta when I was getting my LED signed. She had random tokens so I scooped up a few, Cloud Painter, White Lotus, and Jack of Clubs, can't remember the last one off the top of my head.

Actually pretty funny, she asked me if I knew that those cards weren't legal to play. I must have been looking pretty noobish haha
    Strawberry Shortcake

#FreeNedleeds

Thread Information