Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Krark's Spells

Krark's Spells

So I confirmed arcanist works well with krark...flusterstorm is cute too as is ravens crime. Other things like bolt or sprite dragon have light synergy. Think I would prefer something which uses Krark to double dark ritual but not sure on the list yet.

3 Krark, the Thumbless
    4 dreadhorde arcanist
    3 sprite dragon
    2 young pyromancer
    4 delver of secrets

4 lightning bolt
    4 chain lightning
    2 flusterstorm
    4 brainstorm
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 raven's crime
    3 ponder
    2 reanimate

20 L

SB
    4 fow
    11?
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Re: Krark's Spells

https://www.reddit.com/r/mtgrules/co...trip_that_get/

4 dark ritual
    4 cabal ritual
    4 bosium strip
    4 krark

not sure if it is good enough, but seems pretty cool.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    https://www.reddit.com/r/mtgrules/co...trip_that_get/

4 dark ritual
    4 cabal ritual
    4 bosium strip
    4 krark

not sure if it is good enough, but seems pretty cool.
    I like the first two, strip is cute but doesn't seem good to me unless I'm missing something. Would like turn two Krark to threaten turn 3 d rit into grizzlybrand or grave titan.
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Jul 2005
    Belgium

Thanks Kinda, for pointing out Krark, the Thumbless.

I think Black has more to offer than Blue though.

Rite of Flame gives you a T1 Krark or Arcanist.
    If you can manage to copy a second Rite, Grave Titan may come out sooner rather than later.

Subtle Strike is creature removal + pump for Arcanist.
    When attacking he can cast it again for free and become a 3/5 in the process ( by T2 )

This opens up 3cc spells like Kolaghan's Command for recast by Arcanist.

Not sure, but Prophetic Flamespeaker may find a place in here as well.

Sep 2011

Ponder seems like an easy 4-of.

Unearth seems better than Reanimate, since all your targets are 3cmc or less. Reanimate has some corner case utility stealing enemy creatures, so you might consider 1 or 2 in the SB, but then again postboard you'll just want Surgical Extraction in those matches.

Raven's Crime seems too cute. You can turn a land into Raven's Crime if you lose the flip, but the land was already better than Raven's Crime to begin with (it has 2 modes: play as land, or cast as Raven's Crime via Retrace).

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Ponder seems like an easy 4-of.

Unearth seems better than Reanimate, since all your targets are 3cmc or less. Reanimate has some corner case utility stealing enemy creatures, so you might consider 1 or 2 in the SB, but then again postboard you'll just want Surgical Extraction in those matches.

Raven's Crime seems too cute. You can turn a land into Raven's Crime if you lose the flip, but the land was already better than Raven's Crime to begin with (it has 2 modes: play as land, or cast as Raven's Crime via Retrace).
    Surgical is cute, making me think archive trap might be a fringe possibility.

@Borg: good ideas!

Winter Maze

In many ways something like Bonus Round is just better than Krark. Bonus round does cost 1 more and doesn't persist through multiple turns, but since the doubling from Krark you'll want spare mana if you try to go off using him, and doubling through Krark effectively costs mana. I suppose that Krark could also be added to lists after Bonus Round #4, but that seems a bit of a reach.

So, if we really want to try to make Krark make sense, we've got to look for stuff that Krark gives but that bonus round does not. That's going to be cast triggers (Jeskai Ascendance, Runwaway Steam-kin, Arclight Phoenix and the like) or some kind of approach that can exploit the value from Krark over multiple turns without being troubled by the reliability or mana cost issues that he causes.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    In many ways something like Bonus Round is just better than Krark. Bonus round does cost 1 more and doesn't persist through multiple turns, but since the doubling from Krark you'll want spare mana if you try to go off using him, and doubling through Krark effectively costs mana. I suppose that Krark could also be added to lists after Bonus Round #4, but that seems a bit of a reach.

So, if we really want to try to make Krark make sense, we've got to look for stuff that Krark gives but that bonus round does not. That's going to be cast triggers (Jeskai Ascendance, Runwaway Steam-kin, Arclight Phoenix and the like) or some kind of approach that can exploit the value from Krark over multiple turns without being troubled by the reliability or mana cost issues that he causes.
    I gotta disagree here. I think there's three huge benefits to him. One, is since he does persist he's a force multiplier just like arcanist. Once you get to 3+ mana in a mostly one cmc deck like delver he basically just reads all your instants and sorceries for the rest of the game double.

Now the second bit, where he becomes > arcanist is in how he enables broken turns. You mentioned some like phoenix which I like, one of my friends is working on running this, but there's others too like archive trap. Then there's simply the 1/8 chance in something like delver where you run him out on turn two then on turn 3 get to double bolt plus double ponder plus double thoughtseize...which should just win. Of course there's the 1/8 too where you spend 3 to do nothing so he's of course high variance when you've got low mana.

Third, his doubling helps you get key things through permission. I'd like to try to get something like stronghold gambit to work with him.

Winter Maze

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post

Third, his doubling helps you get key things through permission. I'd like to try to get something like stronghold gambit to work with him.
    Yeah, one of the things I was wondering about was Krark combined with self-countering stuff like Blood Funnel or maybe even Chalice of the Void but that tends to be too many moving pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Yeah, one of the things I was wondering about was Krark combined with self-countering stuff like Blood Funnel or maybe even Chalice of the Void but that tends to be too many moving pieces.
    Blood funnel is super interesting...got me thinking now.

Winter Maze

So I've realised Krark doubling Trapmaker's Snare to get 2 Archive Traps which double to mill 52 wins on the spot. 4/4/2...plus some other traps and good cards?

Side note, first Krark list I'll try I think, still tuning though:

4 Surgical Extraction
    4 Visions of Beyond
    3 Ponder
    2 brain freeze
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Glimpse the Unthinkable
    3 krark, the Thumbless
    2 dreadhorde arcanist
    3 thoughtseize
    2 flusterstorm
    4 Archive Trap
    4 Ruin Crab
    4 Hedron Crab

1 Swamp
    2 Flooded Strand
    2 Volcanic Island
    2 Underground Sea
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Island
    1 mountain
    1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
    4 Scalding Tarn

Sideboard
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    3 abrade
    4 fow
    4 Ashiok, Dream Render or leyline of the void
    2 submerge

Winter Maze

Jul 2005
    Belgium

Krark works very well with 0 cost instants indeed.
    If they fail you get them back and you simply recast them until they stick.

Overall, the deck does not have enough protection on its own, I think.
    An opposing Meddling Mage on Archive Trap for example and there's nothing the deck can do about it.

A deck like Pox also seems like a very tough matchup to me.

There may be a good deck in there though.

Jul 2005
    Belgium

How about this.

T1 Mother of Runes
    T2 Krark
    T3 Dual Casting on Krark -> Trap for 39 - 52

This requires only minimal cards and leaves a lotof space to flesh the deck out.

A 1cc creature with hexproof like Slippery Bogle enchanted with Dual Casting could also do the trick and could keep you in UR.

Quote Originally Posted by Borg View Post
    How about this.

T1 Mother of Runes
    T2 Krark
    T3 Dual Casting on Krark -> Trap for 39 - 52

This requires only minimal cards and leaves a lotof space to flesh the deck out.

A 1cc creature with hexproof like Slippery Bogle enchanted with Dual Casting could also do the trick and could keep you in UR.
    Very cool, didn't know this existed.

Winter Maze

Very cool, didn't know this existed.
    If we are going to go full jank, why only get 1 extra copy when you could get 2x the copies in monoR? Blistercoil Weird + Dual Casting.

On average a bolt will do 18 damage with that setup. (50% of the time R 12 damage, 25% of the time RR 18 damage, 12.5% RR 26 damage etc...)

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Just so I'm clear, you're still counting on winning a coin flip with Krark to do any of the combos right? Dual Casting doubles things up reliably but Krark needs you to get lucky?
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Just so I'm clear, you're still counting on winning a coin flip with Krark to do any of the combos right? Dual Casting doubles things up reliably but Krark needs you to get lucky?
    Sort of, free things you just cast again if you lose the flip like archive trap or summoner's pact. Cheap things like Visions of Beyond you don't need to 'get lucky' with. 87.5% of the time with 3 mana you'll get your one drop through. 75% with your two drop and 4 mana.

Winter Maze

Didn't take long for Krark to post results, 19th in the challenge!

https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...nge-2020-11-22

Creature (8)
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Young Pyromancer
    Sorcery (11)
    1 Chain Lightning
    4 Of One Mind
    4 Ponder
    2 Preordain
    Instant (19)
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    3 Flusterstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt
    Land (18)
    2 Misty Rainforest
    3 Polluted Delta
    4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Snow-Covered Island
    4 Volcanic Island
    3 Wasteland
    Other (4)
    4 Krark, the Thumbless
    60 Cards
    Sideboard (15)
    2 Blood Moon
    2 Forked Bolt
    2 Narset, Parter of Veils
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    3 Submerge
    3 Surgical Extraction

Winter Maze

Last edited by kinda; 11-25-2020 at 08:01 AM.

Winter Maze

Didn't take long for Krark to post results, 19th in the challenge!

https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...nge-2020-11-22

Creature (8)
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Young Pyromancer
    Sorcery (11)
    1 Chain Lightning
    4 Of One Mind
    4 Ponder
    2 Preordain
    Instant (19)
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    3 Flusterstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt
    Land (18)
    2 Misty Rainforest
    3 Polluted Delta
    4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Snow-Covered Island
    4 Volcanic Island
    3 Wasteland
    Other (4)
    4 Krark, the Thumbless
    60 Cards
    Sideboard (15)
    2 Blood Moon
    2 Forked Bolt
    2 Narset, Parter of Veils
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    3 Submerge
    3 Surgical Extraction
    So this person got 19th in the first challenge and 13th in this one.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...nge-2020-11-23

Winter Maze

Thread Information