Thread: Measure of Wickedness + Ghoulcaller's Bell

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Measure of Wickedness + Ghoulcaller's Bell

End of Turn, my opponent controls Measure of Wickedness, MoW trigger goes on the stack to sacrifice and lose 8 life. In response to the trigger I activate Ghoulcaller's Bell, which causes another trigger for me to gain control of Measure of Wickedness. According to oracle text my opponent still loses 8 life and I gain control of MoW.

As far as I understand it, the Bell's effect happens simultaneously so I will gain control of Measure of Wickedness (because I milled a card at the same time as my opponent, so I didn't have control of Measure of Wickedness to trigger the second ability) and it will not immediately go back to my opponent's control.

Just making sure, this is a weird interaction, and I think I have it correct. However, if Ghoulcaller's Bell can be timed to gain control, give it back, and still have my opponent lose 8 life it would be a really fun combo.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Re: Measure of Wickedness + Ghoulcaller's Bell

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post

End of Turn, my opponent controls Measure of Wickedness, MoW trigger goes on the stack to sacrifice and lose 8 life. In response to the trigger I activate Ghoulcaller's Bell, which causes another trigger for me to gain control of Measure of Wickedness. According to oracle text my opponent still loses 8 life and I gain control of MoW.

As far as I understand it, the Bell's effect happens simultaneously so I will gain control of Measure of Wickedness (because I milled a card at the same time as my opponent, so I didn't have control of Measure of Wickedness to trigger the second ability) and it will not immediately go back to my opponent's control.

Just making sure, this is a weird interaction, and I think I have it correct. However, if Ghoulcaller's Bell can be timed to gain control, give it back, and still have my opponent lose 8 life it would be a really fun combo.
    You have it correct.
    But, Measure of wickedness did not leave the battlefield, it's not a new object. When the sacrifice trigger resolve, can't the opponent sacrifice it even if it is not under his control??
    It's not written that he has to control measure of Wickedness.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    You have it correct.
    But, Measure of wickedness did not leave the battlefield, it's not a new object. When the sacrifice trigger resolve, can't the opponent sacrifice it even if it is not under his control??
    It's not written that he has to control measure of Wickedness.
    Rulings from the Gatherer says it stays

Once the at-end-of-turn ability triggers, it affects the player who controlled Measure of Wickedness at that time. If Measure of Wickedness is under a different player’s control as its at-end-of-turn ability resolves, however, Measure of Wickedness stays on the battlefield.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Yeah, I knew that the exchange trigger overrules the sacrifice trigger and the controlling player at the time of the trigger still loses 8 life. That part oracle covers neatly. The part I was slightly unsure about was how the triggers stack up given both players put a card into their graveyard with Ghoulcaller's Bell. In the minutiae of the rules I wasn't sure if the mill action was done exactly at the same time or if there was a window for Measure of Wickedness to retrigger.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Yeah, I knew that the exchange trigger overrules the sacrifice trigger and the controlling player at the time of the trigger still loses 8 life. That part oracle covers neatly. The part I was slightly unsure about was how the triggers stack up given both players put a card into their graveyard with Ghoulcaller's Bell. In the minutiae of the rules I wasn't sure if the mill action was done exactly at the same time or if there was a window for Measure of Wickedness to retrigger.
    You resolve completely ghoulcaller's bell before putting triggers on the stack. Your opponent is the only one to control MoW when the cards hit the graveyard, so only one trigger on the stack.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Cool, thanks.
    Brainstorm Realist

Thread Information