Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Kaldheim. It's going to have Snow. And Vikings.

May 2015
    PDX

Re: Kaldheim. It's going to have Snow. And Vikings.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

Aside form reanimator shenigans, this can also stop CoW, right? Also, fuck Uro.

Are there any notable spells that could be cast from the library? There's Courser and its friends for the permanent part, but what else?
    Finally Panglacial Wurm's reign of terror is over. Card is more for hitting Welder types imo.

Two interesting things I noticed on Twitter was that it doesn’t affect dryad arbor and it does affect thopter sword. Going down to the modern Jank rabbit hole, it hits bring to light, lurrus, renegade rallier, whir of invention, Nahiri for artifacts, and enduring ideal.

Runestone should hit fetches...they rly missed the opportunity here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    Runestone should hit fetches...they rly missed the opportunity here.
    Considering how strong I have found opposition agent, blood sun, and suppression field in stompy shells, that sounds incredibly dangerous in Eldrazi, Urza stompy and Curses.

Do you really want to give Urza a t1 land hoser? In my experience the only thing keeping Urza/curse style decks down are their poor rug & depths mus, which this seems to be an insane tool against.

I agree it should have stopped returning lands from graveyard to play.

Edit:both Urza and curses can’t play this card currently but would absolutely retool the deck so they could.

T1 opposition agent would be a maindeck 4of in my deck if I wasn’t creatureless and has brought back dead guy ale from completely unplayable to ok.

The proposed card is half the mana (so you can always play it on t1 and it doesn’t require commiting additional acceleration), avoids normal 1 cmc removal, has no colour restrictions other than play sol lands, and also hits uro/bloodghast/arcanist/echo of eons/faithless looting/ichorid/all of reanimator.

That seems quite a bit better than occasional card advantage, the body, and hitting doomsday/Wishclaw./expedition map/eye of ugin.

May 2015
    PDX

Agree with @Reeplcheep here. Ancient Tomb is always going to be one of those cards on the ban watch; gotta be real careful about inflaming the mana & mulligan exploit situation. As far as Emry Cannon decks go, we're in a spot where [as with Breach] we have to look at LED more seriously. There's something not okay going on there, and Echo is probably the card that gets the ban...but it's not like much progress is made on the "this is bs" front with Hullbreacher and Day's Undoing still being around. This is its own cluster of problems [Tomb/LED/Echo/HullyB], which is a much smaller problem than Oko being legal; printing anti-Fetch Tomb derp vs Fetches probably not needed in legacy at this time.

Agree with @Fox. This wouldn’t be as stupid as oko, but giving every sol land deck a better blood sun not only kills moon stompy as a deck but increases the number of non games. T1 blood moon comparatively makes for more interesting deck building (you are forced into monoR) and gameplay (you committed multiple cards and turned off your sol lands, so you could easily die to the board)

Sep 2011

Runestone is unplayable in Emry Cannon, even if it hated on fetches. It's symmetrical so it also hoses Emry and flashback Echo. In fact, it's a good piece of hate for other Tomb decks to fight Emry Cannon.

Blood Moon wants it though. Imagine if 8Moon decks could also hate your fetchlands (on turn 1 without ramp) to stop you from getting basics... That seems more abusive than anything Emry/Urza decks could do with this card. Good thing it can't hit lands.

One problem with Wizards' new love for assymetrical hate, aside from leading to uninteractive games, is that it makes the best hate the mirror. You beat Day's Undoing/Echo by playing your own Hullbreachers and Narsets. You hose Karn into Lattice by having your own Karn. You dodge Oko by playing a permanent type Oko can't hit (e.g. Planeswalker) and make 3/3 Elks to defend it.

I like that they've gone back to printing symmetrical hate.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Runestone is unplayable in Emry Cannon, even if it hated on fetches. It's symmetrical so it also hoses Emry and flashback Echo. In fact, it's a good piece of hate for other Tomb decks to fight Emry Cannon.

Blood Moon wants it though. Imagine if 8Moon decks could also hate your fetchlands to stop you from getting basics... That seems more abusive than anything Emry/Urza decks could do with this card. Good thing it can't hit lands.

One problem with Wizards' new love for assymetrical hate, aside from leading to uninteractive games, is that it makes the best hate the mirror. You beat Day's Undoing/Echo by playing your own Hullbreachers and Narsets. You hose Karn into Lattice by having your own Karn, leaving the opponent unable to cast spells or animate anything to attack if they got Lattice, and generally hosing their artifacts.

I like that they've gone back to printing symmetrical hate.
    Moon stompy already has magus or blood sun if they want more of that effect. As we saw with W6 in delver vs W6 in lands, giving a strong effect to a different deck is usually better than more of the same.

Other than casting echo and lattice led is pretty bad in Urza. Emry is mostly to have more t1 plays which this card enables. You could easily replace led/echo/Emry with sai/This card/days undoing and have a more disruptive and more difficult to hate deck. I agree as it currently is written it is great to hate Urza echo while dodging chalice. Regardless, Eldrazi seems crazy with this as they have less acceleration and want more t1 plays than a 2/1 or a vanilla 2/2.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Moon stompy already has magus or blood sun if they want more of that effect.
    Magus and Blood Sun are harder to cast on turn 1. You need a luckier hand with acceleration, and you're more easily blown out by counters/removal due to the card disadvantage to turn 1 it. This thing would come down on turn 1, which is the real advantage, stopping them from fetching basics under any future Moons you try to cast. Turn 1 OTP "you can't fetch" with no ramp needed is a significant power boost to Moon decks.

It does seem great in Eldrazi too.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Magus and Blood Sun are harder to cast on turn 1. You need a luckier hand with acceleration, and you're more easily blown out by counters/removal due to the card disadvantage to turn 1 it. This thing would come down on turn 1, which is the real advantage, stopping them from fetching basics under any future Moons you try to cast. Turn 1 OTP "you can't fetch" with no ramp needed is a significant power boost to Moon decks.

It does seem great in Eldrazi too.
    No agree it’s better than those cards. I just was drawing a parrallel to “better life from Loam” W6 being better in the non Loam deck. Likewise I would suspect better blood moon to be better in the non blood moon deck due to being another axis of attack.

This seems pretty great in Esper vial. Turn their PW or emrakul into a charming prince, or your anything into a second soulherder.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

So overkill triggers card draw? Pretty interesting effect with enough burn, but not sure if it would find a home in Legacy.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

So overkill triggers card draw? Pretty interesting effect with enough burn, but not sure if it would find a home in Legacy.
    Its interesting, essentially have to evaluate it just on its own damage and burn spells (not going to rely on other creatures with the right types). Since it only triggers on damage dealt to creatures / planeswalkers, its probably a bit underpowered as a draw engine?

May 2015
    PDX

This seems pretty great in Esper vial. Turn their PW or emrakul into a charming prince, or your anything into a second soulherder.
    This is a Dreadnought card. Giving people suicidal clauses they can't possibly negate is the correct use.

There are online-only combos with Countless Gears Renegade,Dwynen's Elite or Hunted Horror if you're feeling silly. In paper, I think you have to go up to 3cc for optional token creation. There's probably an immediate win combo with Seasoned Pyromancer.

Nevermind, it only does its thing once.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    This is a Dreadnought card. Giving people suicidal clauses they can't possibly negate is the correct use.
    Mr dreadstill master, I can see how you could use this as a Soul Shatter with dreadnaught. I don’t see how you use it to cheat in the dreadnaught. Can you explain it to a stiflenaught noob?

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    Its interesting, essentially have to evaluate it just on its own damage and burn spells (not going to rely on other creatures with the right types). Since it only triggers on damage dealt to creatures / planeswalkers, its probably a bit underpowered as a draw engine?
    How does this interact with trample? There are a zombie wizard and land loving giant with trample that are highly played right now.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

How does this interact with trample? There are a zombie wizard and land loving giant with trample that are highly played right now.
    I *think* it goes poorly with trample - trample means the excess damage is dealt to the defending player instead of triggering this

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I'm pretty sure trample would work fine. From the comp rules on trample (emphasis mine):

702.19b The controller of an attacking creature with trample first assigns damage to the creature(s) blocking it. Once all those blocking creatures are assigned lethal damage, any excess damage is assigned as its controller chooses among those blocking creatures and the player or planeswalker the creature is attacking. When checking for assigned lethal damage, take into account damage already marked on the creature and damage from other creatures that’s being assigned during the same combat damage step, but not any abilities or effects that might change the amount of damage that’s actually dealt. The attacking creature’s controller need not assign lethal damage to all those blocking creatures but in that case can’t assign any damage to the player or planeswalker it’s attacking.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Thread Information