Thread: Treasure Ramp

Treasure Ramp

So some cool new cards in Magda, Brazen Outlaw, Hullbreacher, and Goldspan Dragon I think make a treasure deck possible. The idea is to use the treasures with Magda or use them like normal treasures to ramp into high cmc things like hardcast Wurmcoil.

Synergies:
    Treasure creators plus Magda to get blightsteel or other option (end of opponents turn to dodge oko).
    Using Treasure as mana to ramp into things like Wurmcoil.
    Treasure plus shape anew or goblin welder to cheat in fatties.

2 Gadrak, the Crown-Scourge
    3 Magda, Brazen Outlaw
    2 Goldspan Dragon
    3 Wurmcoil Engine
    1 Pirate's Pillage
    4 Hullbreacher
    1 Revel in Riches
    1 blightsteel colossus
    1 Inkwell Leviathan
    1 Spell Swindle
    2 Captain Lannery Storm
    4 collective brutality
    4 shape anew
    2 goblin welder
    1 Impulsive Pilferer
    2 echo of eons
    4 ponder

23 Lands

SB
    3 pyroblast
    1 Dockside Extortionist
    4 force of will
    2 force of negation
    3 Plague Engineer
    2 surgical extraction
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Sep 2011

Re: Treasure Ramp

Some synergies like Welder look a bit awkward, because you won't always have a fatty in the GY.

The core combo of Shape Anew + Treasure into Blightsteel looks strong, and could be even stronger if Blightsteel was the only one in the whole maindeck (cut Welder).

Wurmcoil and Inkwell aren't Dragons so they don't have synergy with the Magda engine. Are they just there as generic fatties to Weld or Shape Anew? You could hide those in the SB with Karn, the Great Creator so they don't get in the way of Shape Anew into Blightsteel, which seems better in most game 1s. Karn is another way to play artifacts without playing artifacts. Another blue nonartifact that makes artifacts is Oko, Thief of Crowns.

Goldspan Dragon almost looks better in a completely different monored shell. Dragon + Magda/Lannery + Aggravated Assault is infinite combats (although a single extra combat is probably enough). Gadrak fits in well. Beyond that, you could back that up with Chalice, Blood Moon, 3sphere, Karn (Moon Stompy), and then have the dragons be your win conditions. That could be a whole different direction than what you're trying to do with Hullbreacher and Shape Anew in blue.

May 2015
    PDX

Don't forget to Battle at the Bridge lol

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Some synergies like Welder look a bit awkward, because you won't always have a fatty in the GY.

The core combo of Shape Anew + Treasure into Blightsteel looks strong, and could be even stronger if Blightsteel was the only one in the whole maindeck (cut Welder).

Wurmcoil and Inkwell aren't Dragons so they don't have synergy with the Magda engine. Are they just there as generic fatties to Weld or Shape Anew? You could hide those in the SB with Karn, the Great Creator so they don't get in the way of Shape Anew into Blightsteel, which seems better in most game 1s. Karn is another way to play artifacts without playing artifacts. Another blue nonartifact that makes artifacts is Oko, Thief of Crowns.

Goldspan Dragon almost looks better in a completely different monored shell. Dragon + Magda/Lannery + Aggravated Assault is infinite combats (although a single extra combat is probably enough). Gadrak fits in well. Beyond that, you could back that up with Chalice, Blood Moon, 3sphere, Karn (Moon Stompy), and then have the dragons be your win conditions. That could be a whole different direction than what you're trying to do with Hullbreacher and Shape Anew in blue.
    Yeah I had more welders but cut them down. I'm figuring they could revive countered wurmcoils or discarded ones but it might not be enough.

Magda can grab artifacts too!

@fox: I didn't even consider improvise. Time to do some googling.
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

I think there's a question whether you want to try for Shape Anew combos or you want to run a bunch of artifacts for Welder and friends. It seems like it would be really hard to do both.

Other silly things you can try are Mechanized Production and Gonti's Aether Heart.

Sep 2011

I agree, Shape Anew seems like a different direction than some of the other stuff. If Magda's used as another Blightsteel tutor, that's up to 7 ways to cheat Blightsteel in play. That could already be a deck with enough other treasure creatures.

//Creatures: 16
    3 Magda, Brazen Outlaw
    4 Dreadhorde Arcanist
    4 Hullbreacher
    3 Corsair Captain
    1 Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator
    1 Blightsteel Colossus

//Spells: 24
    4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Preordain
    3 Day's Undoing
    3 Shape Anew

//Lands: 20
    3 Ancient Tomb
    2 Cavern of Souls
    4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Prismatic Vista
    1 Polluted Delta
    4 Volcanic Island
    2 Snow-Covered Island
    2 Snow-Covered Mountain

//Sideboard: 15
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Abrade
    2 Brazen Borrower
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Blazing Volley
    1 Force of Negation
    1 Inkwell Leviathan
    2 Gadrak, the Crown-Scourge

This has a couple ways to make an early Blightsteel with FoW backup, using Ancient Tomb acceleration

T1 cantrip
    T2 Tomb, Corsair Captain/Captain Lannery Storm making a Treasure
    T3 Shape Anew, turning Treasure into Blightsteel

T1 cantrip
    T2 Tomb, EOT Hullbreacher
    T3 Day's Undoing. Opponent loses hand. Create 7 treasures.
    T4 Use either Magda or Shape Anew
    • Spend 2 to cast Magda, then sac the other 5 to get Blightsteel
    • Spend 4 to cast Shape Anew on another Treasure, making Blightsteel

Edit: Nevermind, Magda is a Dwarf Berserker even though the other treasure creatures are Pirates. That's annoying. Lannery Storm is probably better than Corsair Captain then. Or some Dwarf.

Spoiler:

1R - Magda, Brazen Outlaw
    Legendary Creature - Dwarf Berserker
    Other Dwarves you control get +1/+0.
    Whenever a Dwarf you control becomes tapped, create a Treasure token.
    Sacrifice five Treasures: Search your library for an artifact or Dragon card, put that card onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.
    2/1
    Last edited by FTW; 01-09-2021 at 11:55 AM.

Yeah I think it makes sense go with either shape anew or welder. This list looks good! Tempted just to throw shape in pirate stompy now though.

Winter Maze

Thread Information