Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cascading Valki Rhinos - The next deck to dominate legacy imho

Sep 2011

Re: Cascading Valki Rhinos - The next deck to dominate legacy imho

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    The card has cmc 2 or less and can be cascaded into, but it is not called Valki. The cheese people are using looks roughly like:
    20 land
    8 Guides
    4 Oko
    4 Valki
    4 FoW
    4 FoN
    4 Misd
    4 Violent Outburst
    4 Shardless
    2 Dispute
    2 flex

Just turn 0-1 Valki every game. Super skill magic. Expect a rules update very soon that makes Valki appear as cmc 9 in library.
    Interested to see Ark4n's list. Probably similar.

AnziD was on this.

//Mana: 26
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Prismatic Vista
    2 Snow-Covered Island
    1 Snow-Covered Forest
    1 Snow-Covered Plains
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Tundra
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Gemstone Caverns

//Cascade: 8
    4 Shardless Agent
    4 Ardent Plea

//Protection: 12
    4 Force of Will
    4 Force of Negation
    4 Misdirection

//Planeswalkers: 6
    4 Oko, Thief of Crowns
    2 Teferi, Time Raveler

//Creatures: 7
    3 Valki, God of Lies
    2 Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath
    2 Brazen Borrower

//Sideboard: 15
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Carpet of Flowers
    3 Dismember
    2 Mystical Dispute
    2 Narset, Parter of Veils

Big fan of maindeck Borrowers. They pitch to Force, add to the plan B beatdown, and give G1 answers to obstacles like resistors, needle, etc.

The choice between 4 Ardent Plea vs Violent Outburst is tough. Outburst leads to more speed (easier T1s off spirit guides) and can be done instant speed at EOT or in response to disruption, while Plea helps the blue count for the 12x Force builds. Exalted may also be relevant in the fair Oko plan.

With the Outburst builds I think Force of Vigor looks strong to answer resistors, with a maindeck green count of 18 already.

Overall the meta seems to have gone in the same direction as my earlier suggestions:
    -maindeck plan B of Oko and Uro
    -18-20 lands is plenty
    -8 cascaders are sufficient
    -more Forces

As much as I love seeing combo decks break new cards, T1 planeswalker with free counterspell backup is kind of boring.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    As much as I love seeing combo decks break new cards, T1 planeswalker with free counterspell backup is kind of boring.
    Yeah wouldn't really worry about that; matter of time until Oko is banned and Valki is cmc 9 in deck.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Happy to see this deck being abused like crazy. Gives me one more reason to hold off on buying Allosaurus shepherds to play legacy!
    -rob

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Interested to see Ark4n's list. Probably similar.
    Ark4n won the Challenge on 2/6: Full standings
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Sep 2011

Thanks for posting that H.

Here's his decklist for reference:

//Mana: 27
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 City of Brass
    4 Mana Confluence
    4 Gemstone Mine
    1 Gemstone Caverns
    1 Flooded Strand
    1 Wooded Foothills
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Plateau

//Cascade: 12
    4 Shardless Agent
    4 Ardent Plea
    4 Violent Outburst

//Protection: 14
    4 Force of Will
    4 Force of Negation
    4 Misdirection
    2 Mystical Dispute

//Planeswalkers: 7
    4 Oko, Thief of Crowns
    3 Tibalt, Cosmic Impostor

//Sideboard: 15
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Dismember
    3 Lavinia, Azorius Renegade
    2 Mystical Dispute
    1 Klothys, God of Destiny
    1 Plague Engineer
    1 Gemstone Caverns

He went fully into the turbo Tibalt plan, with more consistency of turn 1 Tibalt (Outburst, 2 Caverns) and less plan B. This made sense for the meta this weekend but plan B seems better once the meta starts properly hating this out.

Interesting that he played the full set of rainbow lands over fetches (protection vs Opposition Agent & Stifle) and has Lavinia in the SB for both the mirror and blue counters.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I think the list might have come from, or been based on the one MarcoMale streamed last week, although where that came from, I don't know.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I think the list might have come from, or been based on the one MarcoMale streamed last week, although where that came from, I don't know.
    From this thread or the reddit post perhaps?

I finally started playing online and I went up against this last night, it was brutal. He was playing Bloodbraid Elf and randomly Punishing Fire and Grove combo. I think he would have done better without the Grove combo as he essentially "shocked" me for 2 after cascading (coulda been something better). Other than that though he cascaded out an Oko one game and a Tibalt the other. I was impressed by how overwhelming this deck is. I did win 1 out two games. Cool deck though, and impressive to see in action.
    "WaaaauuugghhhaaaauuugghhhaauuugghhhaaauuugghhhW" -Chewbacca

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    I finally started playing online and I went up against this last night, it was brutal. He was playing Bloodbraid Elf and randomly Punishing Fire and Grove combo. I think he would have done better without the Grove combo as he essentially "shocked" me for 2 after cascading (coulda been something better). Other than that though he cascaded out an Oko one game and a Tibalt the other. I was impressed by how overwhelming this deck is. I did win 1 out two games. Cool deck though, and impressive to see in action.
    That sounds like a much worse version of the deck. It's devastating when it consistently cascades into Tibalt every time, without slow cards like BBE and Punishing Grove.

The SB slots are supposed to be "3cmc" and higher cards like Mystical Dispute, Brazen Borrower, Bonecrusher Giant, Dismember, Plague Engineer. There are a lot of ways to manage small creatures without compromising the cascade plan.

That sounds like a much worse version of the deck. It's devastating when it consistently cascades into Tibalt every time, without slow cards like BBE and Punishing Grove.

The SB slots are supposed to be "3cmc" and higher cards like Mystical Dispute, Brazen Borrower, Bonecrusher Giant, Dismember, Plague Engineer. There are a lot of ways to manage small creatures without compromising the cascade plan.
    Yeah, I honestly didn't even know what he was playing. Then he busted out Bloodbraid into Punishing Fire and he was like "well dang, that fizzeled". The following game it was Tibalt and then it spiraled out of control after that and I scooped. Not sure why he was running Punishing Grove combo. After that game I remembered reading this thread and figured out that this was the (bad version of the) deck he was playing. It still smashed me so I'm sure the tuned version is twice as good. I might put this together (the good version) and play it a bit.
    "WaaaauuugghhhaaaauuugghhhaauuugghhhaaauuugghhhW" -Chewbacca

Thread Information