Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mono Red Welder Stax

Re: Mono Red Welder Stax

@FTW
    Concerning Chalice. Yeah, I've thought about giving it the axe. It's worth testing. Maybe I could cut it and open up slots for another Trinisphere, Sphere and Tangle Wire. I will say though that it certainly has been a champ when I do get it into play and has won me games. I'll test it.

Concerning Throne of Geth. That card I've never seen and it looks amazing. Both of it's abilities are useful. For one the proliferate would be handy! Two, more ways to sac artifacts would come in super handy, especially with a Welder on the table. I will definitely test it out. Often then are times where I wish I had a way to sac artifacts just so that I had an artifact in the yard to swap back in with Welder. If I added two to the deck it would almost (not quite but almost) fill another Welder role. It's funny that you brought that to my attention because I was eyeballing Contagion Engine and thinking that it looked pretty dang sweet in this deck aside from it's cc.

@Reepl
    Concerning Painter / Grindstone. Yes, that is another option that should be tested. I actually had originally thought about this when I was looking at Painter lists and goldfishing with Welders and Tubbies. I've seen those lists and they look close to what I'm doing with the 8 Welder engine. If only Painter and Grindstone did more by themselves. It certainly should be tested though.

Thanks for the suggestions!!
    "WaaaauuugghhhaaaauuugghhhaauuugghhhaaauuugghhhW" -Chewbacca

Re: Mono Red Welder Stax

Okay, so I goldfished with Throne of Geth. It's best ability is that I can sac stuff like Servo Schematic or a Tangle Wire at the end of my opponents turn. I never encountered this while goldfishing but it seems that it could be useful with Smokestack by adding an additional counter then sacking it with Welder during opponents end step. The downside is that without a Welder to recur, lets say, Servo Schematic your run out of artifacts to sac to it. If I'm just running it to sac stuff Despotic Scepter and Claws of Gix are better. I need to play with it a bit more and/or actually test it in games.

Playing with Throne of Geth makes me want to try stuff like Everflowing Chalice, Contagion Clasp and Lux Cannon.

I'm torn by all of the different routes this deck can go. Play with Chalice? Don't play with Chalice? Play Throne of Geth?

Another thing I want to try, which is an obvious idea, is Crucible of Worlds which sorta helps in the same way Schematic does in that I can continually recur artifact lands to sac to Welder or even Smokestack. Plus with Wasteland I get a soft lock. The problem is that if I add it to the deck then I need to open a couple slots for Wasteland and sometimes I already feel like I get mana flooded.

A couple other cards I want to test are Devastating Dreams, Seize the Spoils and Scourglass.

[EDIT]: Seize the Spoils is a new card from Kaldheim which essentially says:
    R2
    Sorcery
    As and additional cost to cast this spell, choose and discard a card. Draw 2 cards and create a Treasure token.

This could come in handy in that it creates another artifact for me to sac. Or I can use the mana in a pinch. This one has potential.

So I have a couple lists that want to try. Both without Chalice. The first includes Throne of Geth, the second includes Crucible of Worlds.

Welder Stax with Geth's Throne: 60 cards
    Essentially with this build I cut Crucibles and 1 Mox Opal for Everflowing Chalice, Throne of Geth and Powder Keg so that there was more Throne synergy. I chose Powder Keg over Ratchet Bomb because I don't have to tap Powder Keg to put counters on it. That way I have more permanents to tap to Tangle Wire. The only drawback with Throne of Geth which I mentioned earlier is that without Welder / Servo engine you eventually are just losing artifacts to it.

Welders: 8
    4x Goblin Engineer
    4x Goblin Welder

Lock: 15
    4x Smokestack
    3x Lodestone Golem
    2x Sphere of Resistance
    4x Tangle Wire
    2x Trinisphere

Tools: 13
    2x Throne of Geth
    3x Servo Schematic
    1x Ichor Wellspring
    1x Powder Keg
    2x Pyrite Spellbomb
    4x Faithless Looting

0cc: 4
    1x Everflowing Chalice
    3x Mox Opal

Lands: 20
    4x Ancient Tomb
    2x Cavern of Souls
    4x City of Traitors
    4x Great Furnace
    6x Mountain

Welder Stax with Crucible: 60 cards
    Crucible of Worlds: I feel like this build is leaning more in the right direction. I really do want to continually recur artifact lands to sac to Welder. That's card advantage! I also get a soft lock with Wasteland. This feels to me to more on the right track of where I should be going. Now I'm tempted to run Barbarian Ring. Nah.. We shall see how much I miss Chalice.

Welders: 8
    4x Goblin Engineer
    4x Goblin Welder

Lock: 15
    4x Smokestack
    3x Lodestone Golem
    2x Sphere of Resistance
    4x Tangle Wire
    2x Trinisphere

Tools: 11
    3x Servo Schematic
    1x Ichor Wellspring
    1x Crucible of Worlds
    2x Pyrite Spellbomb
    4x Faithless Looting

0cc: 4
    4x Mox Opal

Lands: 22
    4x Ancient Tomb
    2x Cavern of Souls
    4x City of Traitors
    2x Wasteland
    4x Great Furnace
    6x Mountain

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Laser Brains; 01-15-2021 at 12:53 AM.
    "WaaaauuugghhhaaaauuugghhhaauuugghhhaaauuugghhhW" -Chewbacca

Thread Information