Thread: In Search of Gre...Positive WR%

In Search of Gre...Positive WR%

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Re: In Search of Gre...Positive WR%

I think the main combo (ISOG + Leyline) is an ok idea but it seems way too undersupported here with only 4x Leyline to enable it, and ISOG only casts permanent spells so you have the combo of 4x ISOG + 4x Leyline into exactly 2x Gargaroth or 4x Curse?

The problem is that if your deck isn't planning to go "up the chain" with it every turn then it's like a 1-shot seething song that needs a leyline in play to work, then just scries 1, which doesn't seem very good

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    I think the main combo (ISOG + Leyline) is an ok idea but it seems way too undersupported here with only 4x Leyline to enable it, and ISOG only casts permanent spells so you have the combo of 4x ISOG + 4x Leyline into exactly 2x Gargaroth or 4x Curse?

The problem is that if your deck isn't planning to go "up the chain" with it every turn then it's like a 1-shot seething song that needs a leyline in play to work, then just scries 1, which doesn't seem very good
    Curse of Misfortunes wins on its own pretty well. Never tried qargaroth but seems like it could just win. Might not be good enough on its own though but it is a draw engine when it's not enough. Something with dream halls is probably the best way to fully abuse isog but not sure wut this would look like.
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

You need more leylines and ways to shove 5 drops into the deck.

Delve and Convoke have nothing interesting. Flip cards have umara Wizard and the blue god alrund.

Most promising is cycling imo. You have archfiend of ignite, unpredictable cyclone, horror of the broken lands, and of course street wraith.
    Last edited by Reeplcheep; 01-28-2021 at 11:08 AM.

Echoing what Reeplcheep wrote, it seems like you're expecting a lot from having one 4-cc free permanent and a limited number of 5-cc payoffs. More generally it seems like the deck is split between Eureka, Natural Order, and Search for Greatness when all three really call for somewhat different approaches.

Another way to cheat high ccs into play is the modal lands. Hagra Broodpit is the only 4-cc land, but there are three 7 cc lands that can come into play untapped, and some compelling 8 drops to cheat into play if that approach seems interesting. EDIT: This is incorrect.

Another way to get value from Search for Greatness is to use tutors to find a payoff at whatever the current cost is. It looks like the casting cost is set once the ability is on the stack, so instant speed stuff like Eladamri's Call and Summoner's Pact could find stuff that's reasonably reliably castable.
    Last edited by rufus; 01-28-2021 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Correction.

Wait so turntimber symbiosis as a land in play can still be used to cast griselbrand with isog out??

Winter Maze

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    Wait so turntimber symbiosis as a land in play can still be used to cast griselbrand with isog out??
    Sorry, I misunderstood the rules. That's apparently only for cards that transform. (Rules 711.4c and 711.4d) I'll edit the post.

Sep 2011

Living Wish is another way to get the fatty into your hand when you're ready instead of having to run a deck full of high CMC stuff and Eureka (spending mana to give opponent uncounterable Oko or Karn = bad card).

Some other tech could be to run Chancellor of the Tangle as acceleration to play turn 1 ISOG, and then have 6 cmc cheats to get Chancellor in play later. Then you can Wish for 1-ofs at 8cmc like Griselbrand or Hoof or whatever. Borderline playable at 6 cmc are Hooting Mandrils, Spire Golem, Tasigur, the Golden Fang as enablers. Also Shark Typhoon.

Thread Information