Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opposition Stompy

Opposition Stompy

I was looking at this mono black aggro deck that recently placed top 8 at a tournament and thought to myself that I could do much better. What if we cut all the discard spells and Liliana and really took advantage of Opposition Agent's mana denial and push a land destruction package.

It looks a lot like Demon Stompy with Opposition Agent and after goldfishing this should be a theoretical monster!! I haven't tested it in actual games but the goldfishing tells me that this should just absolutely smash face. It's crazy fast!

Opposition Stompy: 60 cards

Land Disruption: 19 (21 counting Lodestone Golem)
    4x Opposition Agent
    4x Wasteland
    4x Sinkhole
    3x Trinisphere
    4x Chalice of the Void

Face Smashers: 12 (16 counting Opposition Agent)
    4x Desecration Demon
    4x Rotting Regisaur
    2x Lodestone Golem
    2x Tombstalker

Removal: 5
    3x Eliminate
    2x Dead of Winter

Mana: 24 (28 counting Wasteland)
    2x Mox Diamond
    4x Ancient Tomb
    2x Peat Bog
    4x Polluted Delta
    3x Bloodstained Mire
    1x Castle Locthwain
    8x Snow-Covered Swamp

Sideboard: ??

I've toyed with different mana bases and ramp. This one feels the best but could probably be improved. I started with Dark Ritual but I didn't like the nombo synergy with Chalice and Trinisphere. It does feel good to Dark Rit a turn one Opposition Agent though. So I tried City of Traitors but really needed more black mana. So I tried Mox Diamond but felt like I needed more land. Then I tested Peat Bog and it was really handy but I had too much land so I decided on a Mox Diamond / Peat Bog split and it is working nicely.

The beat down package feels really good. It's overwhelming. I tested Demonic Taskmaster but he kills Opposition Agent so he got cut. Wanted to run Abyssal Persecutor but there's no way to kill him. If you guys have any suggestions please feel free to share.

[EDIT]: Give it a test spin here
    "WaaaauuugghhhaaaauuugghhhaauuugghhhaaauuugghhhW" -Chewbacca

Sep 2011

Re: Opposition Stompy

Black Stompy has proven itself pretty good lately. Just see Curse Stompy for ideas.

Because of how strong T1 Agent is, do you want more acceleration? Chrome Mox is probably better than Diamond here, because you can't really justify 4 Diamond. Or you could run 4 Chrome + 2 Diamond for extra acceleration.

I also don't see enough reason to run Peat Bog over City. Your BB costs aren't that demanding or fundamental to the deck. By impairing the acceleration (only 2 Mox, no City, Bog ETB tapped) you're slowing down the explosive T1 Chalice/Sphere/Agent starts that make this strategy worth playing.

Remember that so far you're just goldfishing, so you may be optimizing it to cheat out big fatties and turn them sideways, but in real Magic games this deck wins by playing T1 lockpiece and then only playing fatties after that. Peat Bog and Diamond may be helping your "lol big Demon" goldfishes but they aren't as helpful for the lockpiece plan.

Reeplcheep decided it was worth running Dark Ritual even with the antisynergy with Chalice, just because of how much it helps both accelerate lock pieces and the threats.

4 Leyline of the Void + 1-2 Helm of Obedience probably belong somewhere in the 75. It's one of the best things black stompy can do right now, with even so many fair decks relying on graveyard for incidental value (Uro, Arcanist..).

Tombstalker looks a bit weak in a deck without Dark Rituals and with more permanents than cheap spells, and then you have to run all these fetchlands just to support it. If you were running out of fat ideas, more Golems or just Karn, the Great Creator seem great and aren't as demanding on the black mana.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Black Stompy has proven itself pretty good lately. Just see Curse Stompy for ideas.

Because of how strong T1 Agent is, do you want more acceleration? Chrome Mox is probably better than Diamond here, because you can't really justify 4 Diamond. Or you could run 4 Chrome + 2 Diamond for extra acceleration.

I also don't see enough reason to run Peat Bog over City. Your BB costs aren't that demanding or fundamental to the deck. By impairing the acceleration (only 2 Mox, no City, Bog ETB tapped) you're slowing down the explosive T1 Chalice/Sphere/Agent starts that make this strategy worth playing.

Remember that so far you're just goldfishing, so you may be optimizing it to cheat out big fatties and turn them sideways, but in real Magic games this deck wins by playing T1 lockpiece and then only playing fatties after that. Peat Bog and Diamond may be helping your "lol big Demon" goldfishes but they aren't as helpful for the lockpiece plan.

Reeplcheep decided it was worth running Dark Ritual even with the antisynergy with Chalice, just because of how much it helps both accelerate lock pieces and the threats.

4 Leyline of the Void + 1-2 Helm of Obedience probably belong somewhere in the 75. It's one of the best things black stompy can do right now, with even so many fair decks relying on graveyard for incidental value (Uro, Arcanist..).

Tombstalker looks a bit weak in a deck without Dark Rituals and with more permanents than cheap spells, and then you have to run all these fetchlands just to support it. If you were running out of fat ideas, more Golems or just Karn, the Great Creator seem great and aren't as demanding on the black mana.
    Good call on the mana base. And yes I get that we want to drop our lock pieces before we drop our beat sticks. We want to maximize being able to drop Chalice turn one and Opposition Agent / Trinisphere turn two. It definitely needs more testing to hammer out what is optimal.

Although Peat Bog lacks in the opening hand acceleration, the following two turns (before it runs out of counters) are usually really productive. The double black is nice for Sinkholes and demons. It is slower though and perhaps you are right. Even as it is, this deck comes screeeeeeeeeeaming out of the gate.

Is Chrome Mox better than Mox Diamond here? I have 23 colored spells to drop for Chrome Mox, but I have 26 lands to drop for Mox Diamond. In my mind I see both cards equal and to chose between the two I would want to go with which ever one I have the most cards to pitch to.

I can try Dark Ritual again, but it just felt dead if I didn't draw it in my opening hand. A turn one Opposition Agent was really nice though.

I don't really feel like I want to bump the over all mana up from 28 to 30 as 28 feels correct and I'd have to cut some meat or black mana to fit it into the deck. Perhaps I should cut the Peat Bogs and split the Moxen: 2 Diamond and 2 Chrome?

And your right, I do want City of Traitors to maximize my turn one Chalice followed by turn two Opposition Agent. I just don't want to either cut Wasteland for it or cut colored spells for it.

As for Tombstalker, you're right. That and Lodestone are the flex slots in this deck. They definitely come out rather quickly with the help of Fetch, Waste and Ancient Tombs when there isn't another beater and they do put an opponent on a 4 turn clock. I do feel unless we can find something better, this is it. Tombstalker does have evasion but he's the smallest dude.

Regardless of the creature base and mana base nuances, I feel that this deck even in it's un-tuned form could and should be sweeeping a lot of decks. It's so ridiculously fast and disruptive.
    Last edited by Laser Brains; 02-08-2021 at 01:48 AM.

Sep 2011

For fine tuning on mana sources, acceleration and colored sources, I would look to Reeplcheep's Curse Stompy deck. He's spent a while tuning the manabase to run smoothly for Black Stompy and seeing consistent success on MTGO. You don't have to run Dark Rituals, but overall it could be a good manabase to build off. There's been a lot of discussion in that thread that applies to stompy in general. Pelakka Predation is tech to improve the number of black sources without topdecking too many lands lategame.

Otherwise your beatdown plan itself looks explosive and powerful.

Having thought about decks like this, some comments to help you improve your brew:

• Decide early on if you are a go big deck, a grindy deck, or an aggro deck. Stick to it. You seem pretty focused on aggro here, which is good.
    • You are doing this right, but 20 ish lands with 21+ black cards for chrome or 27ish lands for diamond is required. The mana doesn’t work in the middle. You need to have a t1 play every game imo, you should be playing at least 6 sources of acceleration or more t1 plays off of sol lands. If you keep the wastelands my recommendation would be 4 mox diamond 2 gemstone caverns (“chrome mox” that plays nicely with mox diamond)
    • You need a very good reason for every BB spell in your deck. Peat bog is miles worse than wasteland or city of traitors. I would be tempted to cut all the BB creatures for some combination of lodestone/crystalline giant/plague reaver/mardu headhunter/Amit eternal. Sinkhole plus 8+ colourless lands means you have to run AT LEAST 3 urborgs.
    • Why are you in black? Leyline of the void and plague engineer are best in class, in colour, prison pieces. Dark ritual is best in class, in colour, acceleration. You should have at least considered each one. Is just agent and regisaur better than Aven Mindcensor plus white creatures?
    • You won’t have enough snow percents for Dow imo. Play toxic deluge or plague engineer instead.
    • What are your answers to common “big creature hate” like oko or ice fang coatl?
    • I don’t have enough creatures to make it work, but some of the new utility lands could be strong in this deck as flood insurance. In a mox diamond build Witches Cottage turns fetches into gas or in chrome mox agadeems awakening/blackbloom rogue are powerful tools to reduce the fail rate of stompy. In a focused aggro list I think pelakka predation doesn’t fit as well as in my deck.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

If you focus so heavily on Opposition Agent, why not run a few copies of Varragoth, Bloodsky Sire and see how it goes? Both should be good on their own and the combo becomes devestating once both hit the field. Varragoth could even be used to tutor up Maralen of the Mornsong for the lights-out combo with Opposition Agent.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    If you focus so heavily on Opposition Agent, why not run a few copies of Varragoth, Bloodsky Sire and see how it goes? Both should be good on their own and the combo becomes devestating once both hit the field. Varragoth could even be used to tutor up Maralen of the Mornsong for the lights-out combo with Opposition Agent.
    I like this idea a lot. Even without Oppo Agent, Varragoth seems insanely good at making up for the biggest weakness of stompy: inconsistent draws. If it gets to turn sideways, worst case it trades with 1 card plus casts Demonic Tutor to get the best card for the situation.

If you go that direction, you could start with a core base of creatures like this. More disruptive & with combo finish, less fatty beatdown, but easier on the BB mana costs.

4 Opposition Agent
    4 Varragoth, Bloodsky Sire
    2 Plague Engineer
    4 Lodestone Golem
    1 Maralen of the Mornsong

That would still leave you room for at least 3 more creatures (assuming you cut Dead of Winter). Those slots could be Desecration Demon, Regisaur, or Ammit Eternal.

Since you are adding all these vamp tutors to your deck, leyline helm seems pretty great.

Another disruptive creature you can run is Kheru mind-eater.

Hi guys! Thanks for all the suggestions! This is a great crew here! Brewing I find almost more fun that actually playing. But you have to play to know if your brew is good. Advice from you guys is priceless! So here we go.

Okay, so a few of you were mentioning Plague Engineer. He actually was in my original list but I cut him for more fatties. Do you guys feel he's better than Dead of Winter / Toxic Deluge? I don't feel that cutting a giant beater is correct but cutting removal I could see. I think 12 big beaters is correct and cutting either Eliminate or DoW/Deluge for him could work. He really is awesome and I've come up against him several times where he's wrecked me when I was playing other decks.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Decide early on if you are a go big deck, a grindy deck, or an aggro deck. Stick to it. You seem pretty focused on aggro here, which is good.[/LIST]
    Yes! This is exactly where I'm going with this build. FAST BEATS and incredibly strong mana denial. There is no need for discard or midrange strategies like Thoughseize and Liliana. If we're going to run Opposition Agent then lets go all in and push mana denial and fast beats to the max.

I do like where you were talking about Leyline and Helm. That is another deck though and in fact I was working on one before I got sidetracked and posted this thread. It also runs Opposition Agent but that again is also another deck. I'll hopefully get to toy with it later and post it.

I know you weren't saying run Urborg to support the double black mana because I'm sure you already knew that Urborg and Opposition Agent have bad synergy, but that you were rather saying either cut the double black spells or choose more beats / spells that don't run double black.

Being that you've had a lot of experience with mono black stompy and that my list has a bit of weird mana based on some double black spells. I might have a solution.

Since you were saying: Either cut the double black or up the black mana sources, or play something different. I feel Sinkhole should stay. It's double black, I know. But it is so damn good here. The 6 big double black demons Tombstalker and Desecration Demon, should either be replaced or minimized. Before I move on though, usually double black isn't that big of a problem. Both of these guys, even Tombstalker, come out fast and I don't usually have a huge problem with double black. But it does happen.

Anyway, if we could find a better option that is single black then I think it should be tested. A card that I've seen a thousand times but didn't come to mind until now is Desecration Elemental. He checks all of the boxes of what we are trying to do. I'm going to test him tomorrow. Theoretically he's exactly what this deck needs.

A). He's bigger / faster.
    B). Has evasion.
    C). He's single black rather than double.
    D). His drawback fits our mana denial package in that one of the two strategies of the deck is to deny the opponent of casting spells.
    E). If he kills one of my creatures, so what. I'm still winning with an 8/8 evasion monstrosity. If he kills himself, so what. I'll cast another beater. There's no shortage.

This deck (IMHO) should just be smashing a lot of decks.

Next I want to address the mana. Okay, so Peat Bog is too slow, but now we don't have the double black demons, or at least they'll be minimized in the Elemental build. Is it crazy to cut one or some of the removal and bump up to 29 mana sources so that we can include 4x Moxen and 1x City of Traitors? Literally from the original list: -1 Eliminate -2 Peat Bog +1 City of Traitors +2 Moxen

You had me thinking, and I think you are absolutely right, that we need to be maximize a turn one play. +1 City helps us power out a turn one Chalice (so does Mox Diamond). And Mox Diamond also helps us hit double black for Sinkhole and maybe a demon or two. Left over mana flood will often be the first cards pitched to Regisuar anyway. Also we up out chances of a turn one Opposition Agent. Turn one Ancient Tomb + Mox could often equal a turn one Opposition Agent or Trinisphere. I think this feels correct. What do you think?

Not only am I cutting 4 double black spells I'm adding more black mana with Mox. Problem solved. That is if Desecration Elemental tests right. I will test him tomorrow.

Also, Lotus Petal which hasn't come up but I'm sure has been thought about doesn't totally suck. It doesn't have anti synergy with Chalice but then again it's no Dark Ritual. Probably not as good as 4x Mox and 1x City, worth a thought.

I think with the sources I have in the deck that Dead of Winter is just fine. I did think about Toxic Deluge as you recommended though, and honestly either would probably work, but those are nuances I'm not as concerned about right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    I actually was already looking at Maralen. She's certainly dope but not great on her own. I do feel that Opposition Agent and Varragoth / Maralen would be tight in another deck, but in this deck where we're just going for mana denial and smash face they're not as good. Especially since these guys are not good on their own. If you don't play Opposition Agent or don't draw one they're actually just bad. I am eyeballing these guys though for another deck. And in fact I didn't know about Varragoth. I'll be toying with him for sure in my other deck.

Okay, so I will actually get a chance to play with this tomorrow at noon. If you guys have any suggestions you'd like to see a tweak before I play hit me up asap so I can make a change, but I do feel this will just smoke almost everything I'll play against.

Anyway, here's the new list with the 29x mana base and hopefully not bad Elemental in place of Demons. Also, if there are any match ups you'd like to see let me know. We play paper Magic so we've got some proxies for testing. So far we've got: Esper Vial, Death and Taxes, Reanimator, Burning Reanimator, Snowko, Hogaack, Sharkstill, BUG Threshold, Death's Shadow, Doomsday, Goblins, Enchantress, Elves, Welder Stax, Eldrazi and even Red Green Stuff.

[EDIT]: Also, over all do you guys like the new changes? Should I cut the Fetchlands for Snow Swamps now that I'm not running Tombstalker? Deck thinning vs. life loss? I feel like I should maybe cut them.

Changes made:

-2 Tombskalker
    -2 Desecration Demon
    +4 Desecration Elemental

-1x Eliminate
    -2x Peat Bog
    +1x City of Traitors
    +2x Mox Diamond

Opposition Stompy: Version 1.25: 60 cards

Land Disruption: (21 counting Lodestone Golem)
    4x Opposition Agent
    4x Wasteland
    4x Sinkhole
    3x Trinisphere
    4x Chalice of the Void

Face Smashers: (16 counting Opposition Agent)
    4x Desecration Elemental
    4x Rotting Regisaur
    2x Desecration Demon
    2x Lodestone Golem

Removal: 4
    2x Eliminate
    2x Dead of Winter

Mana: (29 counting Wasteland)
    4x Mox Diamond
    4x Ancient Tomb
    1x City of Traitors
    4x Polluted Delta
    3x Bloodstained Mire
    1x Castle Locthwain
    8x Snow-Covered Swamp
    Last edited by Laser Brains; 02-09-2021 at 03:59 AM.

Aug 2010
    Belgium

I was thinking of a white splash: Thalia, Suppression Field (is huge nowadays with all the fetches and planewalkers!) and Vindicate.
    Outs: Tombstalker (not a lot of instances or sorceries in the deck), Dead of winter (-> sideboard) and sinkhole (double black seems difficult to obtain in the first turns).

I prefer Desecration Demon above Desecration Elemental. The elemental seems too fragile...

Is anyone thinking the same?

Aven Mindcensor seems better than suppression field in your wasteland deck. It would also let you run field of ruin instead of Sinkhole in your land destruction slot.

Desecration Elemental seems ... bad. My own experience with Stompy is that you need cards that get the job done without having lots of weird drawbacks or hoops to jump through, because Stomoy is already plenty inconsistent with its mana issues and lack of cantrips/tutors.

IMO a normal Legacy deck with cantrips will make you regret resolving Desecration Elemental as soon as you’re able to do so.

Put another way: If they’re unable to cast spells, any fatty will win. If they’re able to cast spells, Desecration Elemental is miserable.

Sep 2011

I would not play Desecration Elemental either. Opponent will have a harder time casting spells, but they still cast some spells. It could die before even attacking. Ammit Eternal looks like a better version of that.

Now that Tombstalker is out there's really no need for fetchlands. Swamps or other lands will do. I'd cut them for some Swamps, a 2nd Castle, and 3 more City of Traitors.

Stompy really wants at least 4 Tomb + 4 City + 4 Mox to support turn 1 lock piece. Reeplcheep was even recommending the 8 sol lands + 6 pieces of acceleration (6 Mox, or 4 Mox + Gemstone Caverns).
    You can mitigate flooding by running black sources that are also business: Tomb of Urami, Blackbloom Rogue, a 2nd Castle.
    Last edited by FTW; 02-09-2021 at 10:34 PM.

Hi guys. So I did play get a chance to play today. I went 7-4 against my buddies' Legacy Lantern combo deck so we switched it up. This was also an untuned deck so I'm not sure that means too much. Then he played Sharkstill which is bonkers and I went 2-1. Over all I did well but I wasn't quite smashing the face that I suspected I would. I was expecting to literally bowl these decks over 5-0.

Also, I did not run Desecration Elemental and I'm glad I didn't. There were too many instances where my opponent could cast spells thus killing him. My all stars for sure were Lodstone Golem and Opposition Agent. Several games I won just beating down with Op Agent alone. Regisaur was also tight. The big 4 drop demon was not that great though. Anytime I had the chance to cast either him or Lodestone I chose to cast Lodestone for his disruption mana denial. The demon will for sure get the axe.

Sinkhole's double black was not that bad and I actually don't remember having an issue with it. My opponent hated them. They were nice in hands that weren't explosive with Mox and Tomb as they sorta set up tempo with my land drops vs his and were brutal under Trinisphere. However screwing up my mana base to fit them in means less explosive openings. More on that in a sec.

And yes, white for Thalia seems really good here (thanks Mr. Headshot) especially after playing it. Having a beatstick that disrupts seems good and maybe Thalia could take the place of Sinkhole as it disrupts, attacks and is also a two drop. And as FTW suggested with the double black mana being poor in Stompy's mana bases maybe now with Thalia we can jam 8 Sol Lands. Also adding white opens up more options better creatures. Perhaps even Aven Mindcensor as Reeple suggested. Also Field of Ruin seems not shitty.

I also didn't even run removal, I just went balls to the wall and jammed Nether Void and an additional Trinisphere in those slots. Another thing, I rocked was 30 land and never felt flooded. Could be that I just got lucky. Not optimal I know but with some help I think this deck could get crazy. Anyway, here was the list I was running:

Opposition Stompy: 60 cards

Land Disruption: (21 counting Lodestone Golem)
    4x Opposition Agent
    4x Wasteland
    4x Sinkhole
    4x Trinisphere
    4x Chalice of the Void

Face Smashers: (16 counting Opposition Agent)
    4x Rotting Regisaur
    4x Desecration Demon
    4x Lodestone Golem

Removal: 4
    2x Nether Void

Mana: (29 counting Wasteland)
    4x Mox Diamond
    4x Ancient Tomb
    1x City of Traitors
    1x Castle Locthwain
    16x Snow-Covered Swamp

Okay, just throwing out a quick sample list that splashes white. I really like Thalia, maybe even the Cathar one. Mostly I wanted to see what a non-double color mana base would look like. It's still a little shaky because there are so many mana sources, but I think over all it's a huge improvement. I have actually been listening to you guys.

Blackbloom Rogue doesn't pitch to Mox Diamond and neither does Lotus Petal / Chrome Mox. I feel like I should at least have 24 land for Mox Diamond so I opted for Reeple's Gemstone Caverns idea and I think it looks correct. Blackbloom Rogue is in there anyway because theoretically in my mind even though he doesn't pitch to Mox, if you end up with him and other lands in hand you just pitch the other land and play him as a swamp. Plus he's actually a decent creature. While I was testing against both decks earlier very often did my opponent have at least 8 cards in his yard which would trigger his ability.

If I run Aven Mindcensor I really want to run Field of Ruin but there is sooooo much mana already I don't know what I'd cut to get it there. Thalia, Heretic Cathar isn't shitty at all and also fits the bill as far as turn one plays, hosing fetchlands and tapping blockers / haste dudes. Plus she has a decent first strike body.

Anyway, what do you guys think of the new proposed plan? Mana denial is waaaaaaaay up. Creature beats is way up but much smaller bodies. Bigger sideboard options. Mana base is more comfortable.

Opposition Stompy: Version 1.5

Beatz: 21
    4x Rotting Regisaur
    4x Lodestone Golem
    4x Opposition Agent
    4x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2x Thalia, Heretic Cathar / Aven Mindcensor
    2x Plague Engineer
    1x Blackbloom Rogue

Lock Down: 8 (28 counting Lodestone, Op Agent, Thalia 1, Thalia 2 / Aven, Vindicate and Wasteland)
    4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Trinisphere

Removal: 2 (4 counting Plague Engineer)
    2x Vindicate

Mana Sources: 29 (30 counting Blackbloom Rogue) (Lands: 25) (26 counting Blackbloom Rogue)
    4x Mox Diamond
    2x Gemstone Caverns
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x City of Traitors
    3x Bloodstained Mire
    4x Polluted Delta
    4x Scrubland
    4x Wasteland
    Last edited by Laser Brains; 02-10-2021 at 10:14 PM.

Sep 2011

Looks strong for a mana denial plan.

Aven Mindcensor seems unnecessary because you already have 4 Opposition Agent to disrupt library searching. Mindcensor + Agent don't work well together. Big Thalia is good.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Looks strong for a mana denial plan.

Aven Mindcensor seems unnecessary because you already have 4 Opposition Agent to disrupt library searching. Mindcensor + Agent don't work well together. Big Thalia is good.
    That's what I was thinking. With this plan I do only have 16 hard colored sources of black mana (counting Mox and Rogue), but only 15 hard colored sources for white. However I can still just get lucky off of the Gremstone Caverns which would bump both black and white mana sources up to 18 and 17 respectively. I do sorta wanna jam another Rogue, but over all I think this theoretically looks so much better on paper. I'm gonna test proxy it up and test it on Friday. My buddy Schlieb is going to hate me.
    Last edited by Laser Brains; 02-10-2021 at 09:14 AM.

Aug 2010
    Belgium

I also would try big thalia or suppression field in those slots. Suppression field hoses not only fetchlands, but also equiments, planewalkers, vials, welders,... Any activated abilities. I must admit that it hoses also our wastelands, but even with suppression field on the battlefield, wasteland gives colourless mana and can be pitched to mox diamond. Also little thalia makes casting our suppressions fields more difficult. May there is another good creature with a build-in mana denial thing? I don't know...

I like where we are going with the deck. I don't mean the white spash in particular, but i mean the fact that there are a lot of fast mana-disruptors in the deck and the fast clock we have (less time for the opponent to stabilise on mana)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Headshot View Post
    I also would try big thalia or suppression field in those slots. Suppression field hoses not only fetchlands, but also equiments, planewalkers, vials, welders,... Any activated abilities. I must admit that it hoses also our wastelands, but even with suppression field on the battlefield, wasteland gives colourless mana and can be pitched to mox diamond. Also little thalia makes casting our suppressions fields more difficult. May there is another good creature with a build-in mana denial thing? I don't know...

I like where we are going with the deck. I don't mean the white spash in particular, but i mean the fact that there are a lot of fast mana-disruptors in the deck and the fast clock we have (less time for the opponent to stabilise on mana)
    Yes, I agree. The goldfishing is much better. It has more explosive opening hands. I'll test it out on Friday and give you guys some results. If it's good enough I'll probably actually build this in paper.

Suppression Field is a really good suggestion. I did actually consider it. We'd have to jam some pain lands or something instead of Fetches but honestly there is already so much disruption I don't think we'll need them.

Sep 2011

I normally love Suppression Field, but a few issues:
    - It negatively affects 11 of the deck's own lands. Playing 2-color stompy is difficult without fetch into dual.
    - It makes Opposition Agent weaker by restricting their fetches
    - The deck already has a lot of disruption but cut down on fat and could probably use bodies in that slot
    - Big Thalia also slows down their fetches by 1-2 turns, as well as their creatures.

Thread Information