Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Strixhaven (Back to School[s of Magic] this April)

Re: Strixhaven (Back to School[s of Magic] this April)

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

It's no Meddling Mage, but I wonder if there's any application for this. It's also a Cleric - if that's relevant. 3 power is also nice.
    That seems like it has 'choice card' syndrome. Are you playing this in the hope that the ability speeds up the clock, or is it suppose to hamper the opponent? I think you want something broad like Eidolon of the Great Revel to speed up the clock, or a hard stop like Meddling Mage or Kitesail Freebooter if you're trying to stop big plays.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

"Talent Exam" 1U
    Instant
    Counter target instant or sorcery spell. Search that player's graveyard, hand, and library for any cards with the same name as the countered card and exile them. That player draws a card for each card remove from their hand.
    Unlike Surgical, it costs mana, but it also has AWESOME and isn't card disadvantage.

Fracture WB
    Instant
    Destroy target artifact, enchantment, or planeswalker.
    Should be good SB material.

Welp there goes the storm scale I guess

Mar 2007

I kinda like this card.

Vanishing Verse. BW. Instant. Exile target mono coloured permanent.

I thought Fracture (BW instant. Destroy artifact, enchantment or Planeswalker) was decent. Verse is really nice. It does miss most artifacts, but you can hit Marit Lage, Dryad Arbor, Sylvan Library, Jace, the Mind Sculptor etc.

This is very comparable to abrupt decay. Comparative analysis:

Creatures: big extra hits: marit lage, angler/mandrills/whale, dryad arbor, urza. Misses: uro/Coatl/strix. Both miss gaak or hexproof stuff.

Enchantments: hits: curses/rector targets/shark typhoon/court of grace. Misses: cindervines?? Both miss Klothys.

Artifacts: misses everything except Wishclaw and painter, whereas decay is great.

Planeswalkers: hits Jace. Misses Kaya and Dack. Both miss vraska and karn.

Overall it’s applicable to many more targets than decay if uncounterability is not an issue.

Also the biggest misses (uro/chalice) are covered really well by Kaya. Esper is back on the menu!

Mar 2007

So white has access to a Leovold-style card draw engine now, although slightly weaker since it doesn't count for you.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

T: Search your library for a card, put it in your graveyard, then shuffle. If it was an instant or sorcery card, put a +1/+1 counter on Oriq Warlock.

An interesting value proposition. Certainly abuseable, but probably too expensive at 4 and too fragile a body. But if you made it stick, something like Punishing Fire could generate a ton of value (besides just some outright combo).
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Mar 2007

It can set up Loam + whatever lands you need by itself. Pretty nifty, even if it's expensive. Or reanimation target + Unburial Rites. Takes a while to set up, but is very strong then.

Text says "as additional cost sac a creature or pay 3".

I'm certain this will see some play somewhere eventually. Things that come to mind are Khalni Garden, Veteran Explorer, Doomed Traveler n shit like dat.

May 2015
    PDX

Dies to Goyf. Needed deathtouch or wither.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Apropos of nothing, I kind of hate everything about the flavor of this set. The pandering to a target audience from which I find myself further removed by the hour and the ersatz-Hogwarts pandering make me feel really itchy and like my demographic is, frankly, expendable to Wizzerds.

With that having been said, I haven't been this excited about a set's design and power level in a very long time. I'm seeing a LOT of Commander playables and a number of cards that look like they might make waves in Legacy. What's everybody else think?
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    What's everybody else think?
    Generally benign sideboard options unlikely to change legacy all that much, and a smh mechanic [magecraft] that is poorly designed. There's the mechanic itself, but then you also have to also note the increasing quality of interaction [the legacy playable SB kill spells] and quantity of that interaction...like I get that in standard they want to have more spells and fewer dudes, but that whole system is dead on arrival to this same set's kill suite.

On the legacy side, we note the general slide towards 5c goodstuff; except this time it's coming on 2c cards that do everything [no longer needing to use so many colors to check so many boxes]. It's a design philosophy that undermines banning DRS and Astrolabe, as the end goal isn't to eventually ban Fetches with less-lopsided 2c disparities.

If magecraft is poorly designed, what does that say about storm?

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    That's a valid question, but there's a big difference between something that says, "Do nine things then pay four mana for this other thing to win the game" and something that says, "Do this thing, then pay two mana and win the game." In comparison, Chalice of the Void regularly reads, "Play a land, then play this thing and do whatever you want because you win the game unless your opponent concedes, in which case you win the game." For some reason, I'm the only person who seems to have a problem with that.

The storm mechanic is excellent, and I won't argue with that, but it's not the mechanic that's the problem with Magecraft: It's that there's already a two-mana card that says, "Win if you have something with Magecraft," and they're dropping 2-cmc Magecraft cards into an environment that has that.

EDIT: I'm actually excited to see what people do with Chain of Smog. It's unfair for me to complain about easy combos when Dark Ritual is a legal card.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Its another payoff for cheap and free spells. Imagine gitaxian probe or treasure cruise is legal.

But that stuff is banned so yeah it just might be fine. But I would still call the mechanic somewhat "problematic"

Prowess is just about combat stats and doesnt trigger on copies - and prowess is still one of the stronger mechanics out there...
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

It's called the "storm scale" it was purely designed too

I'll admit, this is the first card that made me snicker for a long time.

Seems to expensive to be abusable, but who knows.

---

Elimination Ritual
    2BG
    Sorcery
    Destroy each nonland permanent with a mana value of 2 or less. Add G or B for each permanent destroyed this way.

---

This on the other hand seems like pretty good value.

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post
    Its another payoff for cheap and free spells. Imagine gitaxian probe or treasure cruise is legal.
    It's entirely possible that the cheap and free spells are the problem, and that storm/magecraft are really the symptom of that problem. (Prowess really fits as well.)

Of course, Legacy is a format for mistakes, so it seems to me that the magecraft cards fit right in.

May 2015
    PDX

It's entirely possible that the cheap and free spells are the problem, and that storm/magecraft are really the symptom of that problem. (Prowess really fits as well.)

Of course, Legacy is a format for mistakes, so it seems to me that the magecraft cards fit right in.
    At this point wotc should understand that illegitimate game objects (tokens, copies, ETBs worth a card of value) all serve to slowly erode the gameplay experience [most resulting in reduced diversity] of every format.

The magecraft mechanic [ripping the braindead value away from the same card] shows that they generally understand the problem...but they haven't quite made the leap to realize that magecraft should not count copies because copies and tokens are different aspects of the same problem.

It would be nice if they woke up a little sooner and stuck with cards as the currency in a card game, and that summoning sickness creates interactive play patterns whereas immediate gratification creates blowout non-games.

Thread Information