Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MtG crossover with Warhammer 40k and a full LotR set in the making

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Re: MtG crossover with Warhammer 40k and a full LotR set in the making

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    Do you think their business model is in any form sustainable?

It's never sustainable.

I thought guns were banned in MTG or did I imagine it? Like that's why there hasn't been a musketeer since legends or whatever.

Do you think their business model is in any form sustainable?
    Is this the critique of capitalism thread or..

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    I mean you can say that, but they just went through a period where they had the most atrocious constructed formats ever over multiple rotations, had to go on numerous banning sprees, on top of that an entire year with essentially 0 physical magic happening anywhere, and came out stronger than ever. Sure vocal fans say magic is dead or whatever, just like how they said Walking Dead Secret Lair was stupid, or the 200$+ fetchland drop was dumb, or banning all those cards nobody played because they were racist, or any other popular controversy of the week, but realistically they wouldn't be doing what they are doing if it was tanking the franchise. Like if the 'mtg community' was vocal about Walking Dead drop being dumb, they have clearly received alternative feedback (purchases) that told them to double down on those types of things. The meta doesn't matter to the majority of players that play whatever casual deck they have against other casuals in their arena bracket. And they have shown to be adept in maintaining their brand image with the social and political initiatives they have done, so it is unlikely they will be canceled by some hate mob either. I think you are just underestimating how popular they are now, and overestimate how popular they were before. I would be moire inclined to believe that not only are they sucking in new players faster than old ones leave, they are doing it at a much higher rate than you think. I wouldn't be surprised if the vast majority of the player base started playing after the first Zendikar which is around when mtg took off.
    I think this is the most accurate take.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

once the cross-ip and secret lair sales drop we will see power reprints for sure
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
    once the cross-ip and secret lair sales drop we will see power reprints for sure
    Why would they reprint Power when dual lands and other reserved list commander staples are far more lucrative?

Phyrexian dreadnought: modern legal

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Phyrexian dreadnought: modern legal
    Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Seriously?
    I was responding to the poster who said they would break the reserved list vow.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    I was responding to the poster who said they would break the reserved list vow.
    Secret Lair: Power 9
    Secret Lair: Duals
    Secret Lair: Why was this shit on the RL in the first place?

Can't wait for the abysmal artworks and frames.

Who can come up with the worst style?

Just to throw some out there:

- Phil Foglio
    - CalArts
    - Crayon
    - Preschoolers with water colors
    - drawn by monkeys
    - anime tiddies

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Secret Lair: Power 9
    Imagine selling P9 Secret Lairs at $9999 each. Let's say they would be limited at 10000 units - those would definitely sell out, rather sooner than later. That would be a cool ~100 million revenue itself, with insane profit margins if sold by the Hasbro shop directly.

And that discounts all the other stuff they could sell for a premium, like Tabernacle, Duals, etc. - once the suits realize this, the RL is going to fall, since the profit they could make far outweights the costs of a potential lawsuit.

Thats waaay too extreme. Better somenthing for 99$ with a 1% chance to get a p9.
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Please don't spoil my secret lair: Splendor. I worked very hard to get a preview for 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Imagine selling P9 Secret Lairs at $9999 each. Let's say they would be limited at 10000 units - those would definitely sell out, rather sooner than later. That would be a cool ~100 million revenue itself, with insane profit margins if sold by the Hasbro shop directly.

And that discounts all the other stuff they could sell for a premium, like Tabernacle, Duals, etc. - once the suits realize this, the RL is going to fall, since the profit they could make far outweights the costs of a potential lawsuit.
    Nah, it will be a random bonus of the Dual Land Secret Lair sold at a cool $2500 each at like a 0.1% chance (the rest of the time you get random reserved list cards, with half the slots going to Thunder Spirit because Wizards Hasbro loves trolling its customers), because the real money is in duals because of Commander.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Why would they reprint Power when dual lands and other reserved list commander staples are far more lucrative?
    i just used power as synonym to reserved list cards.

i imagine secret lair: Dimir

show your friends which guild has the deepest pockets

Underground Sea + Watery Grave+ Polluted Delta
    only 599$ on the Hasbro Store

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

The RL is the precursor to the concept of rotating formats which is a core mechanic of Magic and its countless TCG clones; you can forget about the speciousness of the claims that Reprint Policy is legally binding, because whoever is in charge of Magic will never do anything that threatens the scaffolding of Standard.

Even if you could make the argument that the concept of rotating formats is self-sustaining at this point, you have to convince shareholders of that, and I doubt they give a fuck about the game itself so much as adherence to the rules that generate the revenue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    The RL is the precursor to the concept of rotating formats which is a core mechanic of Magic and its countless TCG clones; you can forget about the speciousness of the claims that Reprint Policy is legally binding, because whoever is in charge of Magic will never do anything that threatens the scaffolding of Standard.

Even if you could make the argument that the concept of rotating formats is self-sustaining at this point, you have to convince shareholders of that, and I doubt they give a fuck about the game itself so much as adherence to the rules that generate the revenue.
    Idk Hearthstone doesn't have a Reserved List and does have a thriving Standard format though

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

How do expensive premium reprints mingle with Standard? Those are different target demographics.

Besides, Commander is the main driving force for revenue by now - otherwise, they wouldn't cater so much to it, both from a product and a set design standpoint.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

it seems to me the future of magic is paper magic for collectors and players digital. which means standards focus is in arena and collectors / old school players will get their overpriced reserved cards

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    How do expensive premium reprints mingle with Standard? Those are different target demographics.

Besides, Commander is the main driving force for revenue by now - otherwise, they wouldn't cater so much to it, both from a product and a set design standpoint.

agree. standard is not the product that sells big

Thread Information