Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Sylvan Storm v2

  1. #1

    Sylvan Storm v2

    Inspired by the recent The Epic Storm YouTube video on Sylvan Storm, I've been tinkering with v2. The idea is to use the synergies of children of korlis/tendrils with lich/sylvan library.

    Edit: considering phyrexian processor.

    The sb plan is
    + everything except decay (or all 15 but only decay can be sided in if the md plan is still good g2/3)
    - 3 Lich; 1 life goes on; 1 children of korlis; 4 dark ritual; 1 tendrils; 2 lotus petal


    4 Children of korlis
    1 Life Goes On
    4 veteran explorer
    1 wild cantor
    1 Lotus Cobra
    2 green Sun's Zenith
    3 Lich
    3 tendrils of agony
    3 sylvan library
    4 pattern of rebirth
    2 griselbrand
    4 cabal therapy

    4 dark ritual
    4 Lotus petal
    2 culling the weak
    2 Chrome Mox
    4 Swamp
    1 forest
    1 Plains
    3 verdant catacombs
    4 Marsh Flats
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    1 Phyrexian Tower

    SB
    3 abrupt decay
    4 allosaurus shepherd
    3 natural order
    1 progenitus
    1 archon of valor's reach
    1 hexdrinker
    2 Ancient Tomb
    Last edited by kinda; 03-31-2021 at 10:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

    Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

  2. #2

    Re: Sylvan Storm v2

    Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    Inspired by the recent The Epic Storm YouTube video on Sylvan Storm, I've been tinkering with v2. The idea is to use the synergies of children of korlis/tendrils with lich/sylvan library.

    The sb plan is
    + everything except decay (or all 15 but only decay can be sided in if the md plan is still good g2/3)
    - 3 Lich; 1 life goes on; 1 children of korlis; 4 dark ritual; 1 tendrils; 2 lotus petal


    4 Children of korlis
    1 Life Goes On
    4 veteran explorer
    1 wild cantor
    1 Lotus Cobra
    2 green Sun's Zenith
    3 Lich
    3 tendrils of agony
    3 sylvan library
    4 pattern of rebirth
    2 griselbrand
    4 cabal therapy

    4 dark ritual
    4 Lotus petal
    2 culling the weak
    2 Chrome Mox
    4 Swamp
    1 forest
    1 Plains
    3 verdant catacombs
    4 Marsh Flats
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    1 Phyrexian Tower

    SB
    3 abrupt decay
    4 allosaurus shepherd
    3 natural order
    1 progenitus
    1 archon of valor's reach
    1 hexdrinker
    2 Ancient Tomb
    This looks cool and original! How early does it go off in your goldfishing? Culling the Weak with Veteran Explorer looks good with Lich. Looks like you could even hard cast Griselbrand. Children of Korlis with Sylvan Library and/or Lich looks tech. How good is Lotus Cobra here?
    "WaaaauuugghhhaaaauuugghhhaauuugghhhaaauuugghhhW" -Chewbacca

  3. #3
    Member

    Join Date

    Sep 2011
    Posts

    2,941

    Re: Sylvan Storm v2

    This is some interesting tech.

    Don't know if you saw this line already when you built the deck, but if you put Pattern of Rebirth on Children of Korlis and sacrifice it (with 0 life lost), Griselbrand ETBs while the Korlis ability is still on the stack. Then you can pay 14: draw 14, and you immediately gain back 14 life when the Korlis ability resolves.

    The interaction between Children + Lich is pretty good too (W: Draw 20), much better than Nourishing Shoal+Autochthon Wurm

  4. #4

    Re: Sylvan Storm v2

    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    This is some interesting tech.

    Don't know if you saw this line already when you built the deck, but if you put Pattern of Rebirth on Children of Korlis and sacrifice it (with 0 life lost), Griselbrand ETBs while the Korlis ability is still on the stack. Then you can pay 14: draw 14, and you immediately gain back 14 life when the Korlis ability resolves.

    The interaction between Children + Lich is pretty good too (W: Draw 20), much better than Nourishing Shoal+Autochthon Wurm
    Ooh I didn't know about the pattern+children line, good shout!

    @Laser: Thanks! It's consistent because of library but not super speedy. Cobra is definitely niche but trying it for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

    Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

  5. #5
    Member

    Join Date

    Sep 2011
    Posts

    2,941

    Re: Sylvan Storm v2

    I wonder if it's just better to build the deck to abuse the extra cards better. More fast mana, fewer lands and slow stuff. If you're playing combos that draw 14-40 cards for very little mana, you want to also build the deck so those cards contain enough mana and gas to win that turn. Otherwise why even draw so many cards?

    Maybe go up to 4 Mox & 3 Culling the Weak.

    The grindy stuff like Sylvan Library and Lotus Cobra and GSZ might not even be needed when you have such high ceiling draw engines like Lich and Griselbrand maindeck. Sylvan Library seemed better in the other build, which lacked other draw engines. Here you already have more broken ways to convert life into cards.

    Academy Rector might be decent as a 1-2 of, putting Lich into play when you sac it to Therapy or Tower or Culling.

  6. #6
    Psilovibin
    Vacrix's Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2008
    Posts

    2,165

    Re: Sylvan Storm v2

    Weather the Storm gains quite a bit of life for 1G. Not sure the deck needs more life gain though.

    Tainted Sigil does something similar to Children of Korlis, though it costs 1BW.

    Replenish and Entomb seems alright. Reanimating Children of Korlis seems good, particularly for outpacing aggro deck when you don't have Lich online yet.
    Luck is a residue of design.



    I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix


    Expect me or die. I play SI.

  7. #7

    Re: Sylvan Storm v2

    I was thinking that Ranger-Captain of Eos fetch Veteran, Children and offers silence in a body, but probably it's too slow/grindy?

  8. #8
    Member

    Join Date

    Sep 2011
    Posts

    2,941

    Re: Sylvan Storm v2

    Entomb + Reanimate has good synergy with Griselbrand already in the deck. It could be a hybrid Tin Fins-Lich deck.

    Maybe something like this


    //Creatures: 12
    4 Veteran Explorer
    4 Children of Korlis
    2 Wild Cantor
    2 Griselbrand

    //Enchantment Engines: 8
    4 Pattern of Rebirth
    4 Lich

    //Spells: 11
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Reanimate
    2 Entomb
    3 Tendrils of Agony

    //Ramp: 14
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Chrome Mox
    4 Dark Ritual
    3 Culling the Weak

    //Lands: 15
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Windswept Heath
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    1 Savannah
    1 Plains
    2 Forest
    2 Swamp

    //Sideboard: 15
    4 Allosaurus Shepherd
    4 Natural Order
    1 Progenitus
    4 Abrupt Decay
    2 Duress


    Children + Lich = Draw 15-20 cards
    Children + Pattern = Draw 14-28 cards via Griselbrand (gain back 7-14 right away)
    Children + Griselbrand = Draw 14+ cards
    Entomb + Reanimate = Draw 7 cards via Griselbrand, more with Children or mini-Tendrils
    mini Tendrils + Lich = Draw 8-12 cards

    Culling + Explorer = +6 mana

  9. #9
    Psilovibin
    Vacrix's Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2008
    Posts

    2,165

    Re: Sylvan Storm v2

    Entomb + Reanimate is also quite good with Vilis, Broker of Blood. Vilis is in play via Reanimate, then you lose the life. So one draws 8 on the resolution of Reanimate.
    Luck is a residue of design.



    I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix


    Expect me or die. I play SI.

  10. #10
    Member

    Join Date

    Sep 2011
    Posts

    2,941

    Re: Sylvan Storm v2

    Vilis, Broker of Blood works better with Entomb+Reanimate but is much worse with the main plan of Pattern of Rebirth or even hardcasting (Culling the Weak on Veteran Explorer makes 6 mana). Reanimate Grisel isn't the main plan here. I don't want to divert too much from the OP idea. It just seemed like potential value if you're already considering Reanimate for Children and already running Griselbrand for Pattern.

  11. #11

    Re: Sylvan Storm v2

    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Entomb + Reanimate has good synergy with Griselbrand already in the deck. It could be a hybrid Tin Fins-Lich deck.

    Maybe something like this


    //Creatures: 12
    4 Veteran Explorer
    4 Children of Korlis
    2 Wild Cantor
    2 Griselbrand

    //Enchantment Engines: 8
    4 Pattern of Rebirth
    4 Lich

    //Spells: 11
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Reanimate
    2 Entomb
    3 Tendrils of Agony

    //Ramp: 14
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Chrome Mox
    4 Dark Ritual
    3 Culling the Weak

    //Lands: 15
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Windswept Heath
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    1 Savannah
    1 Plains
    2 Forest
    2 Swamp

    //Sideboard: 15
    4 Allosaurus Shepherd
    4 Natural Order
    1 Progenitus
    4 Abrupt Decay
    2 Duress


    Children + Lich = Draw 15-20 cards
    Children + Pattern = Draw 14-28 cards via Griselbrand (gain back 7-14 right away)
    Children + Griselbrand = Draw 14+ cards
    Entomb + Reanimate = Draw 7 cards via Griselbrand, more with Children or mini-Tendrils
    mini Tendrils + Lich = Draw 8-12 cards

    Culling + Explorer = +6 mana
    This version is cool and agree with you/Vacrix that the reanimate package seems interesting. I'll try this and a library version next week when the token goes live!

    @memories: Ranger-Captain of Eos is a good shout in the library version. The WW is tough since we need BBBB for lich but its got me thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

    Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

  12. #12
    Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Mr. Safety's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2010
    Location

    Hell in a Nutshell
    Posts

    5,036

    Re: Sylvan Storm v2

    If this deck wants Veteran Explorer, GSZ, Tendrils, and Cabal Therapy...is this the card it's looking for?

    Brainstorm Realist

    I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

  13. #13
    Psilovibin
    Vacrix's Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2008
    Posts

    2,165

    Re: Sylvan Storm v2

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    If this deck wants Veteran Explorer, GSZ, Tendrils, and Cabal Therapy...is this the card it's looking for?

    It combos with Chain of Smog. You can target yourself and copy it as many times as you like. Its spiked to $20.

    Summoner's Pact can find it as well seems fast. BBBG is easy to find, black source, Dark Ritual, ESG.

    EDIT:
    Life/Death is more reanimates for the maindeck, though its limited to your own graveyard. They imprint well on Chrome Mox.
    Luck is a residue of design.



    I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix


    Expect me or die. I play SI.

  14. #14

    Re: Sylvan Storm v2

    Ooh it even feeds natural order, good shout!
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

    Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

  15. #15
    Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Mr. Safety's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2010
    Location

    Hell in a Nutshell
    Posts

    5,036

    Re: Sylvan Storm v2

    I think having a couple different avenues of comboing out will be very strong. You already want to have 5+ copies of Veteran Explorer for reliable mana acceleration, so GSZ is just perfect as a toolbox enabler for this dude. I also feel like you could get away with a pretty small storm count with Tendrils if this guy is one of your spells for the turn. You won't necessarily have to hit the magic 10 triggers to get there. I think having 1 copy of Chain of Smog seems perfectly acceptable, especially if you have some sort of tutor engine (Diabolic Intent, maybe Dark Petition). You could assemble Apprentice + Chain of Smog, or Apprentice + Tendrils, or just storm out and tutor into Tendrils. Deck is looking sexy.
    Brainstorm Realist

    I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

  16. #16

    Re: Sylvan Storm v2

    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Entomb + Reanimate has good synergy with Griselbrand already in the deck. It could be a hybrid Tin Fins-Lich deck.

    Maybe something like this


    //Creatures: 12
    4 Veteran Explorer
    4 Children of Korlis
    2 Wild Cantor
    2 Griselbrand

    //Enchantment Engines: 8
    4 Pattern of Rebirth
    4 Lich

    //Spells: 11
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Reanimate
    2 Entomb
    3 Tendrils of Agony

    //Ramp: 14
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Chrome Mox
    4 Dark Ritual
    3 Culling the Weak

    //Lands: 15
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Windswept Heath
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    1 Savannah
    1 Plains
    2 Forest
    2 Swamp

    //Sideboard: 15
    4 Allosaurus Shepherd
    4 Natural Order
    1 Progenitus
    4 Abrupt Decay
    2 Duress


    Children + Lich = Draw 15-20 cards
    Children + Pattern = Draw 14-28 cards via Griselbrand (gain back 7-14 right away)
    Children + Griselbrand = Draw 14+ cards
    Entomb + Reanimate = Draw 7 cards via Griselbrand, more with Children or mini-Tendrils
    mini Tendrils + Lich = Draw 8-12 cards

    Culling + Explorer = +6 mana
    I streamed this with a few tweaks in a league yesterday and managed to win a couple of the matches! Round 5 wasn't streamed so I did a quick capture of the round replay here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8iL_egnvaQ&t=7s and here's rounds 1-4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URTePMigyNM . Rly fun league!

    Props:
    Children of Korlis! Children plus Lich, Children plus Pattern (pulled this off ), Children plus Library, Children plus Grizzly/reanimate... it's really the core of the deck.

    Dryad Arbor: included this in my version, really came in handy many times getting it off a fetch to put a pattern on or clear the way by flashing back a therapy

    Reanimate/Entomb: They've got so much utility in this deck beyond creating a grizzly like getting therapy in the gy for explorer or as a mini draw engine with children+library.

    Slops:
    Vinecrasher: I got too cute in trying to extend the value of entomb here. There might be some option b threat here but I don't think I've solved it yet.

    Explorer: It's rly only good in here when you've got another creature and either pattern or lich you're trying to ramp to. The deck is mostly 1 drops. Not sure how to change this but considered 1 explorer in a tiny gsz package for next time with bop or even just 4 bop. Birds accels into lich, NO, and pattern while sticking around for the first two which is very important. Having to run non black basics is annoying too when you're trying to get to bbbb for lich. I'm going to look into other mana dork options.

    Strixhaven not being out yet so I cant try witherbloom.

    The version I tried:


    4 Veteran Explorer
    4 Children of Korlis
    1 Wild Cantor
    2 Griselbrand
    4 Pattern of Rebirth
    3 Lich
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Reanimate
    3 Entomb
    2 Tendrils of Agony
    4 Lotus Petal
    2 Chrome Mox
    4 Dark Ritual
    2 Culling the Weak
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Windswept Heath
    1 Marsh Flats
    2 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    1 Plains
    2 Swamp
    1 Forest
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Centaur Vinecrasher
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Phyrexian Tower

    4 Allosaurus Shepherd
    3 Natural Order
    1 Progenitus
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Duress
    2 Green Sun's Zenith
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

    Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

  17. #17
    Member

    Join Date

    Aug 2015
    Location

    The woods again
    Posts

    1,012

    Re: Sylvan Storm v2

    Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    Props:
    Children of Korlis! Children plus Lich, Children plus Pattern (pulled this off ), Children plus Library, Children plus Grizzly/reanimate... it's really the core of the deck.

    Dryad Arbor: included this in my version, really came in handy many times getting it off a fetch to put a pattern on or clear the way by flashing back a therapy

    Reanimate/Entomb: They've got so much utility in this deck beyond creating a grizzly like getting therapy in the gy for explorer or as a mini draw engine with children+library.

    Slops:
    Vinecrasher: I got too cute in trying to extend the value of entomb here. There might be some option b threat here but I don't think I've solved it yet.

    Explorer: It's rly only good in here when you've got another creature and either pattern or lich you're trying to ramp to. The deck is mostly 1 drops. Not sure how to change this but considered 1 explorer in a tiny gsz package for next time with bop or even just 4 bop. Birds accels into lich, NO, and pattern while sticking around for the first two which is very important. Having to run non black basics is annoying too when you're trying to get to bbbb for lich. I'm going to look into other mana dork options.

    Strixhaven not being out yet so I cant try witherbloom.
    I feel like Bolas's Citadel and Weather the Storm would work well here, especially if you're going so deep into black mana for Lich. Citadel may be too pricey; have you thought about upping the fast mana count? This might be too radical, but what about trying some number of Urborgs and Lakes of the Dead?
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by non-inflammable View Post
    If you diversified your cantrips, a chalice wouldn't be a liability.
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

  18. #18
    Member

    Join Date

    Sep 2011
    Posts

    2,941

    Re: Sylvan Storm v2

    Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    I streamed this with a few tweaks in a league yesterday and managed to win a couple of the matches! Round 5 wasn't streamed so I did a quick capture of the round replay here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8iL_egnvaQ&t=7s and here's rounds 1-4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URTePMigyNM . Rly fun league!

    Props:
    Children of Korlis! Children plus Lich, Children plus Pattern (pulled this off ), Children plus Library, Children plus Grizzly/reanimate... it's really the core of the deck.

    Dryad Arbor: included this in my version, really came in handy many times getting it off a fetch to put a pattern on or clear the way by flashing back a therapy

    Reanimate/Entomb: They've got so much utility in this deck beyond creating a grizzly like getting therapy in the gy for explorer or as a mini draw engine with children+library.

    Slops:
    Vinecrasher: I got too cute in trying to extend the value of entomb here. There might be some option b threat here but I don't think I've solved it yet.

    Explorer: It's rly only good in here when you've got another creature and either pattern or lich you're trying to ramp to. The deck is mostly 1 drops. Not sure how to change this but considered 1 explorer in a tiny gsz package for next time with bop or even just 4 bop. Birds accels into lich, NO, and pattern while sticking around for the first two which is very important. Having to run non black basics is annoying too when you're trying to get to bbbb for lich. I'm going to look into other mana dork options.
    Interesting test results!

    I'm excited about how much this deck can abuse Children and glad it worked out in practice. "W: Draw 8-20 cards" is just insane. There aren't enough Legacy decks exploiting this. It's only an afterthought in Tin Fins and ignored everywhere else.

    Vinecrasher seems weak.

    Dryad Arbor is a great addition and is even more reason to run GSZ.

    Maybe Explorer needs to be replaced by GSZs and cut down to 1 Explorer, 1 Wild Cantor, 1 Dryad Arbor, 1 BoP. Postboard Xantid Swarm is also GSZ-able.

    Edit: In Round 5 lol @ drawing infinite cards and making lethal Tendrils through an active Sphere of Resistance because you just had that much mana. Maybe Explorer is good for beating Spheres and soft counters.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)