Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riftbolt 10drils

Riftbolt 10drils

So the idea is to suspend rift bolt the turn before you go off for 3 damage plus 1 storm on the turn you go off. Only needing 8 storm (7 if your opponent used a fetch land) makes doing this without a draw spell much more viable. The list below is just an anchor and hasn't been tested.

Rift bolt 10drils

4 rift bolt
    4 tendrils of agony
    4 pact of negation or mental misstep or overburden?
    4 lotus petal
    4 dark ritual
    4 rite of flame
    4 gitaxian probe
    4 summoner's pact
    1 wild cantor
    2 tinder wall
    1 elvish spirit guide
    3 infernal tutor
    4 brainstorm
    2 manamorphose
    1 Ad Nauseam

4 land grant
    1 bayou
    1 volcanic island
    1 tropical island

3 gemstone mine
    4 city of brass

Re: Riftbolt 10drils

Hill Giant means business.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Cabal Ritual seems better than Rite of Flame here.

The bad thing is that you have only 4 protec spells, and 0 Burning Wishes to remove problematic hate.
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

This needs more Ancestral Visions. I dub it Suspenders.dec

cant play as much as he wants

Jun 2010

I dont know if "telling" your opponent when u will Combo off by playing a Rift Bolt is the right idea, allthough the benefit (Storm1 + 3dmg) is without any doubt really nice.
    But i am not convinced that those 4 Slots that can give u the random "luck" to suspend a Bolt could not be better used by something else.

As mentioned above, the lack of protection also is critical. Combo decks allways need to be able to win versus blue.dec and lately also versus discardBW.dec - either by pure speed (see Belcher and alikes) or by heavy protection/versatility (see DDFT). Chalice @ 1, Trinisphere, Blood Moon/Magus of the Moon, Pithing Needle - just to name a few examples that you can not handle and would most likely destroy your game.

I think the list is an somewhat ok scratch that can be started with, but is far away from beeing competitive or even Tier2.

Oct 2010
    Ventura, CA

Quote Originally Posted by sporenfrosch1411 View Post
    I dont know if "telling" your opponent when u will Combo off by playing a Rift Bolt is the right idea, allthough the benefit (Storm1 + 3dmg) is without any doubt really nice.
    But i am not convinced that those 4 Slots that can give u the random "luck" to suspend a Bolt could not be better used by something else.

As mentioned above, the lack of protection also is critical. Combo decks allways need to be able to win versus blue.dec and lately also versus discardBW.dec - either by pure speed (see Belcher and alikes) or by heavy protection/versatility (see DDFT). Chalice @ 1, Trinisphere, Blood Moon/Magus of the Moon, Pithing Needle - just to name a few examples that you can not handle and would most likely destroy your game.

I think the list is an somewhat ok scratch that can be started with, but is far away from beeing competitive or even Tier2.
    The bolt does present some interesting lines of play, suspend bolt turn 1 so they put you on burn, or suspend a bolt so they leave mana up for the counter war then wait a turn to sort of fog for a turn.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Forget basing it on belcher, just steal Bryant Cook's last TES list:

4 Gemstone Mine
    2 City of Brass
    2 Scalding Tarn
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Bloodstained Mire

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Lion’s Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Infernal Tutor
    3 Orim’s Chant
    3 Duress
    2 Xantid Swarm
    1 Ad Nauseam
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Tendrils of Agony

3 Pyroblast
    2 Xantid Swarm
    2 Echoing Truth
    1 Wipeaway
    1 Diminishing Returns
    1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Duress
    1 Shattering Spree

-3 Duress
    -3 Chant
    -2 Xantid

+4 Rift Bolt
    +4 Ancestral Visions
    ?????
    Profit!

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

Swarm makes no sense in the MD.
    90% of the decks out there play enough removal to blank it.
    It's a SB card, period.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by klaus View Post
    Swarm makes no sense in the MD.
    90% of the decks out there play enough removal to blank it.
    It's a SB card, period.
    You can take that up with Bryant, not my list.

Quote Originally Posted by sporenfrosch1411 View Post

Discard is a pain if you don't have brainstorm or 2 business spells, but the idea behind running 4 tendrils of agony and no led is that about 40-50% of the time you won't have to resolve any key spells (read you can play through hate) which is a big help against blue. I was considering dropping the pacts and just going 4 tendrils/4 empty the warrens to improve on that. The other advantage is you can wait longer to go off if you're not reliant on life because of ad nauseam or doomsday. 3sphere/chalice are only fringe played and this deck can deal with magus of the moon ;D. Pithing needle?

Hey,

I played this list yesterday to an impressive 0-2 drop. I managed to lose games after making 22, 18, and 12 goblins.

4 rift bolt
    4 lightning bolt
    3 tendrils of agony
    4 empty the warrens

4 lotus petal
    4 dark ritual
    4 rite of flame
    4 gitaxian probe
    3 tinder wall
    2 simian spirit guide
    4 brainstorm
    3 ponder
    3 manamorphose

4 gemstone mine
    4 city of brass
    4 mana confluence
    2 undiscovered paradise

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

You have discovered why making Goblins is only done after sufficient discard and against certain decks (or a storm line that didn't pan out.)

Take Bryant's list, swap Swarms for RiftBolts, the 4th Chrome Mox for a Riftbolt, and the third chant for a Riftbolt. Test from there. Don't try to make a multi-colored Spanish Inquisition that lacks the key cards, or start with a belcher list missing it's key cards.

Instead take a storm list, and swap out it's protection slots for speed-slots and you'll get the results you want. As a brewer I get the resistance to that idea; but this particular idea is such a small suggestion it doesn't need a paradigm shift, it just needs to see if RiftBolt is good enough. I do think Pact of Negation sounds OK, but it also doesn't work with Gobbos; probably why it's not used.

Criticism: I don't think it'll be good enough. Storm often needs to see it's draw and then go "AH, yes, this is the hand." If you wait to do that, you'll have an easier time going off but you'll be a turn slower in a deck with less protection. If instead you say "I think this is good enough" and you go for it with a Riftbolt, you may draw bad and now you're down a card and a storm. I will say that Riftbolt's use for nixing hatebears seems ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Quote Originally Posted by tescrin View Post
    You have discovered why making Goblins is only done after sufficient discard and against certain decks (or a storm line that didn't pan out.)

Take Bryant's list, swap Swarms for RiftBolts, the 4th Chrome Mox for a Riftbolt, and the third chant for a Riftbolt. Test from there. Don't try to make a multi-colored Spanish Inquisition that lacks the key cards, or start with a belcher list missing it's key cards.

Instead take a storm list, and swap out it's protection slots for speed-slots and you'll get the results you want. As a brewer I get the resistance to that idea; but this particular idea is such a small suggestion it doesn't need a paradigm shift, it just needs to see if RiftBolt is good enough. I do think Pact of Negation sounds OK, but it also doesn't work with Gobbos; probably why it's not used.

Criticism: I don't think it'll be good enough. Storm often needs to see it's draw and then go "AH, yes, this is the hand." If you wait to do that, you'll have an easier time going off but you'll be a turn slower in a deck with less protection. If instead you say "I think this is good enough" and you go for it with a Riftbolt, you may draw bad and now you're down a card and a storm. I will say that Riftbolt's use for nixing hatebears seems ok.
    I think you're right.

I was thinking something like this:

4 tinder wall
    4 drs

4 manamorphose
    4 gitaxian probe

4 cabal therapy
    3 rift bolt

4 empty the Warrens
    4 tendrils of agony

3 brainstorm

4 dark ritual
    4 rite of flame
    4 lotus petal

1 phyrexian tower
    14 rainbow lands

SB:
    4 pattern of rebirth
    1 sylvan caryatid
    1 emrakul
    1 griselbrand
    2 sylvan library
    3 abrupt decay
    3 Thoughtseize
    Last edited by kinda; 05-12-2018 at 09:15 PM.

Do you think dreadhorde arcanist would be good in this deck?

Sep 2011

Is it possible for ANY card to be good in a bad deck?

Empty the Warrens is good in 2 cases:
    1) Making 12+ goblins on turn 1

2) Using it later in the game, playing through disruption, when you can't get off enough storm to use Tendrils but also have disruption to make sure they can't answer your tokens.

In case #2 you really want some discard to clear the path. If you don't have disruption, you want those Goblins on turn 1 and hope to race. Going off without disruption past turn 1 just isn't a thing. There's a reason a grand total of 0 Tier 1 - Tier 3 storm decks even attempt to do that. They branch into turn 1 Glass Cannon (Belcher, Cheerios) or a turn 2-4 deck with disruption (ANT, TES, High Tide). Turn 2-4 Glass Cannon is just bad.

If this strategy is to work, it should be built around a disruptive shell like the above TES list. Until there's a working shell, it doesn't make sense to consider adding single cards.

Another key feature of Storm is blanking creature removal in game 1. Dreadhorde Arcanist will just eat whatever dead removal is stuck in their hand, dying immediately while giving opponent virtual card advantage, so it seems bad. Postboard you could consider boarding it in, but there just isn't enough sideboard space for cuteness.

Quote Originally Posted by hermit_druid View Post
    Do you think dreadhorde arcanist would be good in this deck?
    No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Bryant Cook played riftbolt 10drils!

https://youtu.be/Dk_PqUtU1Cs
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Sep 2011

Deck looks funny. Maybe it could be upgraded.

Painlands look worse on life total than fetch+dual, especially against fast decks like RUG. Then you can also fetch into Dryad Arbor to turn on Therapy.

Phyrexian Tower seems bad by not adding storm and not tapping for colored mana most of the time. Chrome Mox or Culling the Weak might be better.

2nd Natural Order target should be green so you don't get stranded with Progenitus in hand. Archon of Valor's Reach seems better than Griselbrand.

3-4 Sylvan Library seems good, like Bryant said. Deck needs card draw to refuel.

0 LED seems bad. Budget reasons? LED would also allow Echo of Eons, the best refueling card.

I wonder if this deck wants Veteran Explorer ramp. It helps ramp to a big storm turn, beat mana denial and soft counters, and synergizes with the plan B of "sac green creature for profit". Then Diabolic Intent becomes a much better tutor than Infernal Tutor without LED. Intent + Explorer does an Infernal + LED impression by adding +2 mana while tutoring, except with Intent you keep the rest of your hand.

Sep 2011

Brainstorming Green Storm ideas

Does this do the same thing but with more consistency?

//Mana: 19
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Taiga
    1 Bayou
    1 Badlands
    1 Forest
    1 Swamp
    1 Mountain
    1 Dryad Arbor

//Creatures: 11
    4 Veteran Explorer
    4 Tinder Wall
    3 Wild Cantor

//Rituals: 8
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Rite of Flame

//Business: 7
    4 Empty the Warrens
    3 Tendrils of Agony

//Protection: 4
    4 Cabal Therapy

//Tutors: 11
    4 Diabolic Intent
    4 Sylvan Library
    3 Green Sun's Zenith

//Sideboard: 15
    4 Allosaurus Shepherd
    4 Natural Order
    4 Pattern of Rebirth
    1 Progenitus
    1 Archon of Valor's Reach
    1 Questing Beast

It's mostly the same deck, but making room for Veteran + Diabolic Intent. Also more Sylvans and GSZ. Should improve the card quality and ability to recover.

Maybe squeeze in a 4th basic

Quest Beast can be replaced by any resilient green fatty that is reasonably GSZable with ramp

Thread Information