Thread: Dragons with Crabs

Dragons with Crabs

So the idea is to use self-mill to turn on the new spoiler Dragon's Approach which lets you cheat dragons into play! Um...benefits of the deck include the tons of redundancy! I tried to include Nantuko Shrine but it might be too cute.

15 Dragon's Approach
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Hedron Crab
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Mesmeric Orb
    4 Brainstorm
    1 The Ur-Dragon
    1 Utvara Hellkite
    1 Hellkite Overlord
    1 Scourge of Kher Ridges
    1 Bogardan Hellkite

4 ancient tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Volcanic Island
    1 Island
    2 Mountain
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Scalding Tarn

SB
    4 Thrumming Stone
    11...? Idk, considered sneak attack or Mana Flare.
    Last edited by kinda; 04-07-2021 at 06:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Sep 2011

Re: Dragons with Crabs

Needs more Intuition and Faithless Looting. Those are more efficient ways to get multiple copies to the GY than actually casting them.

How about you just jam that into a Dredge shell and try to reanimate Goblin Dark-Dwellers or something? Assuming you have a full graveyard with Anger, Bridge from Below and a pair of Bladewing the Risen you can just have infinite death triggers for infinite hasty zombies. It's probably just worse than regular Dredge or Oracle combo but it's fun and classy as hell

Honestly I think the best shell for this card probably looks something like this

1 Bogardan Hellkite or whatever
    X Dragons Approach
    4 Chalice of The Void
    X Blood Moon
    4 Thrumming Stone

8 Sol Lands
    X Mountains

Wouldn't surprise me if it can get a few cheesy wins here and there
    Sadly thrumming stone doesn't work with trinisphere

Ruin Crab can't be used to mill yourself so I guess that's out.

As for the dragons, you should probably go with something that doesn't die to removal so easily like Stormbreath Dragon or Chromium, the Mutable.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    Ruin Crab can't be used to mill yourself so I guess that's out.

As for the dragons, you should probably go with something that doesn't die to removal so easily like Stormbreath Dragon or Chromium, the Mutable.
    Noooo...good catch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Jun 2019
    USA

Velomachus Lorehold seems pretty good in a Thrumming Stone shell. After your 4th Approach you search up Lorehold which gives you basically a Ripple 7 (which should find you another Approach to get another Lorehold). As long as you hit a new Approach each time (and haven't drawn one of your Lorehold) at the end of the chain you grab Bogardan Hellkite for 20 direct damage (3*5+5) and still have 25 power on board (4 Lorehold + 1 Hellkite) in case that wasn't enough.

EDIT:
    Something like this maybe? I haven't run the numbers for Ripple yet, but the idea is there.

4 Seething Song
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Faithless Looting
    16 Dragon's Approach
    4 Thrumming Stone
    4 Velomachus Lorehold
    4 Bogardan Hellkite

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    8 Mountain

EDIT2:
    This doesn't work. You need to exile the 4 Dragon's Approach in the yard along with the resolving one, so you can't chain them. (And Velomachus Lorehold isn't an ETB like I thought)

The question is if this is really better than Dragonstorm?
    With Terror of the Peaks you only need 3 Dragons (2x Terror into 1 Bogardan Hellkite).

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    So the idea is to use self-mill to turn on the new spoiler Dragon's Approach which lets you cheat dragons into play! Um...benefits of the deck include the tons of redundancy! I tried to include Nantuko Shrine but it might be too cute.
    If you're running UR, Careful Study and maybe Izzet charm ought to be a consideration.

I wonder about sphinx of the chimes to go along with the thrumming stone.

Fundamentally, this seems like it's going to be bad dredge or bad reanimator.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    The question is if this is really better than Dragonstorm?
    With Terror of the Peaks you only need 3 Dragons (2x Terror into 1 Bogardan Hellkite).
    The problem is that dragonstorm is what like 9? Mana all at once whereas a thrumming combo is only 4 and then 3, so it potentially needs much less of a critical mass of rituals and works much better with Ancient Tombs and stuff

I'm thinking of it more like monored sneak where instead of Sneak you have thrumming stone and instead of things to sneak you have the dragon thing
    The upside is that rather than sneak inferno titan or whatever medium option the deck sometimes has, you legit just storm off and kill the opp immediately
    The downside is that you can just hardcast a Inferno Titan off your sol lands and have it do something, whereas the 2R Dragon spell thing is rubbish until you play 5 of them, also the deck probably needs to be built with WAY more copies of the Dragons Approach spell compared to how many Sneak targets it usually plays, so there is a good chance that the deck doesn't even work (i.e. having any reasonable plan B outside of the Thrumming combo is just totally impossible and therefore the deck becomes like a really bad version of Show and Tell)

Wrong, Dragonstorm is 4 (Mizzix's Mastery) and what's more with what Zoid said just casting Mastery over Dragonstorm gives you 3 copies which is enough to win. But this is veering off-topic and we'd better revive the Dragonstorm thread instead.

Quote Originally Posted by chunderbucket View Post
    Wrong, Dragonstorm is 4 (Mizzix's Mastery) and what's more with what Zoid said just casting Mastery over Dragonstorm gives you 3 copies which is enough to win. But this is veering off-topic and we'd better revive the Dragonstorm thread instead.
    Only 2 dragons from that play right? The storm trigger makes 1 copy (because you cast 1 spell, mizzix) then you get another dragon from the actual dragonstorm

But I agree that deck sounds better assuming you want to play Faithless Looting (not being a chalice deck)

Ah my mistake I can't rtfc, makes the play much weaker than I thought.

Thread Information