Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 Card Blind: Ban-Back Better

4 Card Blind: Ban-Back Better

It's been a while since we played right?
    A solid year since any posts in the thread?
    Well, maybe we should play again?

SCORES
    SUBMISSIONS

Tha rules: (edits in bold)
    Normal 4cb. Perfect info, perfect play, Legacy card pool, yadda yadda yadda.
    New cards: Wotc posts new cards all the time because they're milking us dry. If a new card is revealed that you have to have it will be legal the game-week after it's been spoiled for a full week. We'll use mythic spoiler for reveals.*
    Season Gimmick: Creativity by Force!
    1) Initial banned list: All "my deck is empty, I win the game" cards are banned. Laboratory Maniac, Thassia's Oracle, etc.
    2) At the end of each week, all cards used are banned. Basic lands excepted.
    3) At the end of each week, for each card in your deck used by another player your score will be reduced by one. This effect is cumulative. Basic lands do not count towards this**
    4) If all four of you cards are in use by other players and you do not win a single game you shoot the moon, like in hearts, and we'll give you some points. Basic lands here are also disqualifying I don't know how many yet but some amount. Maybe however many the leader go this round? Turn all your losses into wins? Invert the penalty? I'm open to suggestions.

*Basically a card needs to have been posted for two deadlines before you can use it. A card revealed the day before deadline 1 will be legal in week 3.
    ** -2 for each other copy of the card in the field, so if you and I have identical decks that's -8 for each of us. If a third player then has one shared card it's -10.

Any questions?
    Any interest?
    Signup now!

ROUND 6 DEADLINE: 2 April, 6am US Central Time

Scores after 4 rounds:
    # R1 R2 R3 R4 R5 R6 Total Change
    1 DTE 18 16 5 9 18 66 +18
    2 Wrath of Pie 13 13 2 2 9 39 +9
    4 FTW 0 9 5 16 0 30 -
    5 Silkster 13 0 0 14 10 37 +10
    6 GoblinSmashmaster - - 10 12 10 32 +10
    7 Four Dogs Ina Horsesuit 2 2 16 0 9 20 +9
    8 Asthreal 7 7 0 0 14 -

New Banned list:
    Initial cards plus,
    reclaim
    llanowar mentor
    vengeful pharaoh
    lotus petal
    rite of flame
    empty the warrens
    geier reach sanitarium
    saprazzan skerry
    show and tell
    emrakul, the aesons torn
    undiscovered paradise
    thoughtseize
    durkwood baloth
    stormkirk noble
    inquisition of kozilek
    volatile fault
    bitterblossom

Cabal Therapy
    Dark Depths
    Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    Vampire Hexmage
    Saprazzan Cove
    Force of Negation
    Subtlety
    Gadget Technician
    Mental Misstep
    Scythe Tiger
    Forest
    Surgical Extraction
    Scrubland
    Doomed Traveler
    Path to Exile
    Thespian's Stage
    Young Wolf
    Hexdrinker
    Overgrown Tomb

reanimate
    grief
    force of despair
    chancellor of the forge
    pyrokinesis
    leyline of the meek
    bayou
    swarm shambler
    blackmail
    pithing needle
    agadeem's awakening
    leyline of sanctity
    leyline of the guildpact
    scion of draco
    serra's sanctum
    ghost quarter
    memnite
    city of traitors
    leyline of anticipation
    volcanic island
    tropical island
    field of ruin
    burning inquiry
    tropical island
    nether spirit
    crashing footfalls
    chronomaton
    burning inquary
    foil
    Ancient Tomb
    Damping Sphere
    leyline of the void
    mutavault
    Chancellor of the Annex
    Karakas
    Lion's Eye Diamond
    Unburial Rites
    Foundtain of Cho
    Wasteland
    Solitude
    Evil Presence
    Unmask
    Corpulent Corpse
    Cenn's Tactician
    Leyline of Singularity
    Force of Will
    Last edited by FourDogsinaHorseSuit; 03-26-2024 at 09:39 AM.

Re: 4 Card Blind: Ban-Back Better

Can we ban all the stupid attraction and sticker cards WOTC has put upon us?

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Can we ban all the stupid attraction and sticker cards WOTC has put upon us?
    I definitely don't like them, and am going to day no to stickers because I don't want to handle the compounding calculations of which 10 sticker sheets were optional and then which random 3 were the worst, and then the optional one of those three.
    Dungeons and attractions are cards though so if two players do an attraction deck though they'll each end up with minus 10 just because of the matching attraction deck, and then those ten being removed says there's only 11 remaining so at most the ban policy says we can only have attractions twice.
    Same with dungeons and initiative.
    E: also you can include an attraction deck in a deck that doesn't use attractions so you can work towards banning them yourself.

Even if we allow attractions we won’t allow sideboards for wish/companion right?

Even if we allow attractions we won’t allow sideboards for wish/companion right?
    Correct.
    That's the standard, right?

The traditional standard is that cards outside the game effectively don't exist. Of course this was far simpler in the days without non-traditional Magic cards like dungeons and the like, but effectively none of that works. (It's arguable whether or not dungeons/initiative make Card Blind better, of course.)

4) needs to exclude draws for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    The traditional standard is that cards outside the game effectively don't exist. Of course this was far simpler in the days without non-traditional Magic cards like dungeons and the like, but effectively none of that works. (It's arguable whether or not dungeons/initiative make Card Blind better, of course.)

Draws are the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post

Draws are the risk. Esp in the early rounds where the most common cards are pretty predictable and I can just name the four most common cards in 4cb.

Oh i forgot you could run the same card twice. how about 5)
    For the purposes for any points other than W/L/Ds a duplicate card does not count. You cannot shoot the moon with two copies of the same card in starting deck.

I think y'all are talking across each other regarding draws. Rule 4 says "you do not win a single game", but that happens somewhat often in draw-heavy rounds. I think Wrath of Pie is saying that the rule should be that you must lose every single game. Or maybe not, in which case I propose that you should have to lose every game. Though that's kind of not hard to do if you only run cards you can't cast or just four basics. I suppose the challenge is playing played cards. Also, if two people just *try* to shoot the moon, then they'll draw and neither will succeed. Though I suppose that's okay?

I don't think duplicates will come up much, but I think the thing to do is to say that two decks both playing two copies of something overlap twice, but one copy here and two copies there overlap only once.

Do we want basic lands to be exempt from points penalties?

Forcing a diverse meta and then banning every single card is going to make the banlist massive, but I'm good with that.

That's an oversight, yes basic lands should be excepted from penalties.
    I did remember to except them from bannings.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Purely by coincidence I log in to this forum, and behold: 4Dog launches new 4CB!
    I wish I weren't so busy right now... But I'll try to join for sure.

I have no preferences for rules, bannings, formats or whatever.
    Just play what you guys think is cool and if it needs adjusting we can always be adjusting.
    Last edited by Asthereal; 11-16-2023 at 04:10 AM.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    I think y'all are talking across each other regarding draws. Rule 4 says "you do not win a single game", but that happens somewhat often in draw-heavy rounds. I think Wrath of Pie is saying that the rule should be that you must lose every single game. Or maybe not, in which case I propose that you should have to lose every game. Though that's kind of not hard to do if you only run cards you can't cast or just four basics. I suppose the challenge is playing played cards. Also, if two people just *try* to shoot the moon, then they'll draw and neither will succeed. Though I suppose that's okay?
    Losing every game is way harder than drawing every game if you have to submit cards that are shared by other players. It also gets easier the more entries there are (because there are more cards in the eligible pool). Granted, the idea behind both is the same - since there is no actual attempt to win, you instead try to guess what other people are submitting (other than any way to generate mana, naturally).

Also, shooting the moon in hearts is basically similar in that you have to take every point card, so the best way to mimic that here is to require the losing.

It does seem very easy to just name 4 common non-basic non-wincon cards if there are a lot of people. It should at least require outright losses.

Not that I suspect anyone of doing this, but collusion instantly wins the round, just both name any 4 interactive cards and you shoot the moon.

It does seem very easy to just name 4 common non-basic non-wincon cards if there are a lot of people. It should at least require outright losses.

Not that I suspect anyone of doing this, but collusion instantly wins the round, just both name any 4 interactive cards and you shoot the moon.
    This would actually be really funny if it happened by accident, but it would only be funny to those two people. To everyone else...

Shooting the moon in Hearts is something that only one person can do. If two people try it simultaneously, it's a disaster for both. So not allowing draws does seem fitting.

My additional thoughts on the rules are the same as Asthereal's: Anything is fine, and we can fix it as we go, as long as the rules are clearly understood.

Should we be filling out the Sing Up Sheet. It looks like people might have missed it or been overwhelmed by the very difficult questions.

I'm just glad someone else signed up!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    This would actually be really funny if it happened by accident, but it would only be funny to those two people. To everyone else...

Shooting the moon in Hearts is something that only one person can do. If two people try it simultaneously, it's a disaster for both. So not allowing draws does seem fitting.
    This is a good point. "Losing every game while having only cards that others play and would cost you" ensures that only one person can achieve this each round, and it seems very difficult to do.
    I would vote to award max points for a round for this. So in my old seasons that'd be 6 points. (And no loss of points for the cards, in this case.)

EDIT: I'm also in, by the way.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Feb 2014

Also in, and thanks for organizing this!

Sep 2011

I'll play. Thanks for organizing!

I want to do a test round to see if I have all the behind-the-scenes stuff setup right. And to sample a round.
    Please submit your deck. 6am Monday is the deadline.

Thread Information