Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Suicide Black

Hybrid View

Permanent Waves
    Jul 2004

[Deck] Suicide Black

With some relative success it seems appropriate to begin some discussion on the deck and the archetype. There have been many mono-black aggro threads in recent memory (I just did a search for them), but none actually seemed to go the route of Suicide Black instead opting for more a black weenie strategy or a Confidant based approach ala Deadguy Ale.

The deck is based around using very powerful creatures to finish off your opponent using disruption as means to that end. The main difference between this deck and the decks that have been discussed in mono-black threads is that the creatures in this deck by and large can end the game all on their own. This deck is tempo-driven by this I mean it wants to play something that will affect the game immediatedly as possible. While draw spells are always important and helpful, this deck cannot spend the precious early turns of a game trying to generate card advantage. It simply doesn't win because it has more cards in hand but rather because its disruption has allowed its creatures to seal the deal.

I played the following deck to a 9th Place Finish at the most recent StarCity Duel for Duals -

//Disruption
    3 Pithing Needle
    4 Hymn To Tourach
    4 Sinkhole

//The Legion of Doom
    4 Wretched Anurid
    4 Nantuko Shade
    4 Hypnotic Specter
    4 Phyrexian Negator

//Removal
    4 Vendetta
    4 Diabolic Edict

//Mana
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Wasteland
    17 Swamps

Let's go over each section to explain the way the deck works.

Disruption

Pithing Needle - I decided to play Pithing Needle over Duress because I wanted to improve my game against Goblins and other aggro decks where Duress is either very poor or just outright dead. At this tournament Pithing Needle ended up being different levels of effectiveness - amazing against aggro but much worse against combo and control. I think this is mostly a metagame call, but currently I'm favoring Duress over this card but boarding Needle can be a very good choice.

Hymn to Tourach - One of the best ways to disrupt your opponent is to pull two random cards from his hand on turn 2. This card acts like the best Duress (pulling the two most relevant cards) or like a double Sinkhole (pulling two lands) or often just a good mixture. The card is amazing against combo, control, and aggro.

Sinkhole - There's nothing like robbing tempo from your opponent when on your third turn you untap and play your third land, but your opponent only has 1 in play because you played a turn 2 Sinkhole. Its that window of opportunity that a deck like this lives and thrives off of.

The Legion of Doom
    Okay I like my creature base in this deck so much that I've gone so far as to give them a name - The Legion of Doom (based on the old cartoon Super Friends). I was also given the suggestion Cowboys From Hell (Pantera album) on Saturday (thanks Asher) which I find pretty cool as well.

Wretched Anurid - He's a recent addition and substitution for Flesh Reaver. While I love the Reaver's power and speed but against decks playing creatures he just often turns himself off by by losing so much life. Anurid can also cause a great deal of lifeloss (and uncontrollable I might add), but he's much better about being chump blocked. I'm still not certain which one is best in the current metagame, but both are powerful 3/3s and 4/4s for 2 mana.

Nantuko Shade - While not the best turn 2 play, he's definitely amazing often swing for 5 damage starting on turn 3. He ends the game unblocked within a few turns. He makes all of your post third turn rituals into giant growths. He eats other creatures for a living.

Hypnotic Specter - You might think he doesn't end the game quickly because he's a 2/2, but in fact he does end the game just as fast as the other creatures, because he makes it so that your opponent has to top-deck the answer since he shrinks your opponent's hand very quickly. He is one of the few ways the deck can actually generate card advantage.

Phyrexian Negator - Negator in a format with creatures! Must be a mistake! No mistake at all. In fact the mistake is that people think he's terrible in this format because Goblins exists. To be fair I thought he would be terrible against Goblins myself, but I've beaten Goblins with him so many times I know he is good against Goblins. A 5/5 on turn 1 is nuts that's all you need to know. There is no other deck in this format that can boast that. I would never play this deck without Phyrexian Negator.

Removal
    This is part of the deck that I really had to work on for Legacy. Older Suicide Black decks were often based in non-creature formats (ie Type 1). So I figured I needed to dedicate some of the main deck to removal. This would serve two purposes - Kill my opponents creatures, but more importantly force my creatures through which is what the deck needs to be able to do win games.

Vendetta - There are many 1cc removal spells, but none are as versatile as Vendetta in this deck. Sure the lifeloss is an issue, but the important thing is that you can play this card on turn 1. Having an answer for Goblin Lackey as well as being able to hit almost any creature (black creatures being the obvious exception).

Diabolic Edict - As a secondary removal spell it has impressed me time after time. While it seems terrible against aggro decks the main benefit of this card its the least likely to be dead. Suicide Black has no draw as currently constructed so it has to make it least likely for it to draw a dead card. Diabolic Edict is dead so infrequently it makes for a very good card in this deck. Its often even useful against combo decks (Spring Tide, Salvager's Game, Belcher, etc.)

Mana

Dark Ritual - This is another reason to play this deck. It allows for you to generate so many busted openings that this card is integral to the deck. People often think that you need this card to win, but that just isn't the case. If constructed correctly Dark Ritual only increases your tempo and doesn't rely on it exclusively.

Wasteland - Another disruptive element that both generates tempo and disruption all in one card. It complements the Sinkhole strategy very nicely and often allows for generating so much tempo by your opponent missing multiple land drops that you win because of it.

Swamps - The reason to play 17 is to make sure you hit your second swamp on turn 2. I can't stress this enough. The surest way to lose tempo is to not be able to play your spells on the turns on which they are suppose to be cast. I've tried running 18 but I have not seen no major improvement in hitting the right amount of lands.

Matchups

Goblins 40/60 Preboard - When I first put this list together I thought my game against goblins would be terrible. To be fair this was last summer before Goblins really took off, but I was suprised to find that this wasn't the autoloss. Preboard games are difficult, but very winnable. You want at least 1-2 to creatures in your opening hand and hopefully a removal spell as well. If you are running Duress - hope you don't draw it since its the most dead card in the main deck. Post board games get much easier with boarding Infest and Pithing Needle. The reason no Engineered Plagues in the board is that this deck can't reliably find 2 Plagues because it lacks draw. Instead you Infest their team and drop a creature and swing in for the win.

Threshold (Gro) 50/50 Preboard - The different flavors make a big difference. The black version is most favorable for you because they're removal is often dead. The white version is pretty close, but often they just drop Mystic Enforcer and you lose (unless you have the Edict!). The red version also sounds difficult because bolt on a Negator is a never a good thing, but in actuality you can protect your Negators with Duress, Hymn, and Sinkhole. Going after their manabase can often be a successful strategy. The game usually goes to which player can get his creatures to stick. While Sui's creatures are better in the early game and Threshold's creatures are better in the mid game it becomes quite a battle to see which creatures make it through.

Solidarity 70/30 Preboard - While this may seem like an auto win it is not. While you are heavily favored you can often lose because they can go off through your 1 or 2 disruption spells. Remand has been a huge help to Solidarity in this matchup. But you usually win because you have disruption plus a fast clock. Your creatures will never look as good as they look in this matchup. Sui still loves to see Mono-blue decks!

Rifter unsure - I haven't tested enough to really have a sense of how the matchup goes. When I did test against Wombat it was slightly favorable perhaps about 60/40, but Lightning Rift itself can be quite the problem, but again the manabase is more open to disruption. Its hard to say at the time of this writing exactly what that matchup is.
    Last edited by AnwarA101; 04-18-2006 at 01:44 AM.

Dream-Faerie Unicorn
    Apr 2005

Re: [Deck] Suicide Black

What sideboard did you run up there, and how did it do against the field?
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Rotten View Post
    Can you find the compound nouns in the following sentence?

Hey douche bag! Your girl-friend is a dirty cocksucker. After I gangbanged her in my bedroom, I had to take my sheets to the dry-cleaners.
    Be my pupil on mybrute. It's fun. I swear.

Cardboard Messiah
    Jan 2006
    East Syracuse, NY

From the archived section of this board.

I think most of the discussion there still applies. I just thought I would throw out a link to the last time that suicide was considered decent. There are a lot of outdated concepts, too. Like we thought Chalice of the Void was a good card. Oh, and I ran Graveborn over confidant because confidant wasn't invented yet.

The match against rifter isn't exactly all that great. I have found that haunting echoes is the card that makes the matchup winnable. Also, you will need Dystopia to kill Humility should it drop.

Quote Originally Posted by anwar
    have not seen no
    Don't let P_R see that.
    Sexy

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam
    There are a lot of outdated concepts, too. Like we thought Chalice of the Void was a good card.
    Actually, Chalice is still a decent card for Sui. It can power it out quickly, and it's rock solid against Thresh, Burn, and Storm combo.

Cardboard Messiah
    Jan 2006
    East Syracuse, NY

Kk. I can understand the burn and high tide matchup. You really need to explain to me it's use in thresh, though.
    Sexy

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam
    Kk. I can understand the burn and high tide matchup. You really need to explain to me it's use in thresh, though.
    Nearly half their deck is in the 1cc range. Does it really need further explaining?

Time Lord
    Apr 2005
    Syracuse NY

Quote Originally Posted by GodzillA
    Actually, Chalice is still a decent card for Sui. It can power it out quickly, and it's rock solid against Thresh, Burn, and Storm combo.
    I agree. I wished I had sided Chalice at Kadilak's Dual Land Draft. It disrupts so many decks, mainly because Legacy seems to have a large focus on cheap threats and early "velocity" (as Flores put it), most of which are 1cc cards.

Hypothetically speaking, if you played Chalice of the Void in Sui-black (maindeck or board), it would make sense to run Snuff Out instead of Vendetta, since you will almost always want to set the Chalice to one.

Edit: Ever consider a Tomb of Urami or two as a potential extra finisher? Your Legion of Doom is probably adequate threat, but it's a thought.

I'm Jewish!
    Mar 2006
    Arlington, Virginia

I ran Chalice back when I played Sui and loved it. Also, when I saw your list, I think my head exploded because I didn't see Duress.

Permanent Waves
    Jul 2004

Here is a link to my Tournament Report for the Duel for Duals -

http://mtgthesource.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=28

Edit: Ever consider a Tomb of Urami or two as a potential extra finisher? Your Legion of Doom is probably adequate threat, but it's a thought.
    Tomb of Urami seems to have bad synergy with both Negator and Shade. No I haven't considered it and I don't think it would work very well.

Honestly, I'm wondering why Dark Confidant isn't in this list. Yes, I know that it was already in a similar list, but 'draw 2 cards a turn' is awfully ridiculous. It doesn't even necessarily mean that you have to give up the current focus of your deck - if you have Bob Maher online, you're just going to draw into more animals to bash them with.
    The reason is that Dark Confidant isn't a threat. He dies to all removal that is run in this format and he is bad turn 2 drop if you want to win by turn 5 or so. He might draw you into more cards, but those cards won't be in play. You need cards in play to be able to win quickly. This deck won't win by drawing more cards. It just not part of the strategy. This might be suprising, but Dark Confidant doesn't belong in every black deck. This deck is a perfect example of that.

Is there a reason that you're not playing with a full set of Chrome Moxen?
    I've never tried it but the main problem I see is that eats a business spell and you have no draw to make up for it. Dark Ritual is the best accleration and I'm not sure any other accleration fits in.

Why not Rotting Giant over Anurid?
    This deck can't reliably put enough cards in its own graveyard to always keep him active especially in the early game.
    Last edited by AnwarA101; 04-18-2006 at 09:21 PM.

Is there a reason to not run a couple of withered wretches maindeck? Possibly for the needles, as this would improve your chances against threshold if it resolves, and makes your threats considerably larger than theres. It also helps against salvagers combo and lftl decks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo
    Is there a reason to not run a couple of withered wretches maindeck? Possibly for the needles, as this would improve your chances against threshold if it resolves, and makes your threats considerably larger than theres. It also helps against salvagers combo and lftl decks.
    The main problem I have found with Wretches is that they are not a threat. While I agree that, the needles might not be the best option, wretch is not either. In addition, the wretch's ability is basically useless, becasue there is never a time you want to be removing cards from the graveyard rather then playing threats.

No, the problem with Sui is not its lack of threats, or its mana base, or anything it runs. What the deck lacks is two things: 1.) Reach, and 2.) A late game plan.

Once it hits turn 6, and you are not dominating the board, you have Lost. The real problem, is giving up a little bit of consistency, for the reach that the deck needs so desprately. There are cards i.e., moat and Humility that when they come down, Sui Just looses. Suicide needs a way to develop a late game plan, to destroy your opponents.

Things to look at:

Tangle Wire: I know this does not solve the late game problem. But it gives soo much tempo, that maybe it is necessary. It basically stunts your opponents while allowing you to keep on swinging.

Cursed Scroll: Against decks like goblins, getting an active scroll can mean gg. Maybe I am still running in the old Pox mentalty. I think its worth looking at though. Since Sui empties his hand so quickly, it is very effective. Against many control decks it is simply just reoccuring damage.

Oct 2003
    Rochester, NY

I don't care about winning turn 5 - I care about winning, period. Dark Confidant, while dying to every removal spell I can think of, will keep you in enough gas if it isn't that you will win the attrition games. I seriously doubt that it's better than Wretched Anurid at actually getting into any sort of creature fight - when they play reinforcements, that guy domes you.

Also, Chrome Mox allows you to play your 2 drops as effectively one-drops. I wouldn't mind casting Hymn to Tourach on turn 1 on the play.

The Problem with confidant, is that he is to weak. We have seen him so many times in Sui. He never takes the offensive, unless your opponent does not have a board. In addition, Confidant lacks the raw power that the other threats have. While he does draw you cards, he is more like a situational draw spell rather then a creature. In my testing, while confidant does help out in some matchups, one cannot justify running him.

Anurid at least beats in. While he does take life off of you, can fight many creatures and win. Confidant dies to everything. Remember this deck needs to be the most agressive deck in the format. You can't be holding back during the attack step, since many of your creatures are really only good during the early turns.

Now on the idea of chrome mox in the deck, why would anyone run this when there is dark ritual in the format. Ritual lets you play 3 drops on turn one, and generates such great tempo advantages. While playing a hymn on turn 2 is appealing, it seems like one would rather play ritual hymn. There is nothing wrong with dropping a turn one hymn with a ritual, not to mention the other threats in the deck.

With chrome mox and ritual in the deck, one will be loosing to many cards, and it seems like that you will have to be getting rid of revelent spells to use the chrome mox.

Permanent Waves
    Jul 2004

Quote Originally Posted by kirdape3
    I don't care about winning turn 5 - I care about winning, period. Dark Confidant, while dying to every removal spell I can think of, will keep you in enough gas if it isn't that you will win the attrition games. I seriously doubt that it's better than Wretched Anurid at actually getting into any sort of creature fight - when they play reinforcements, that guy domes you.

Also, Chrome Mox allows you to play your 2 drops as effectively one-drops. I wouldn't mind casting Hymn to Tourach on turn 1 on the play.
    Winning by turn 5 was just an example of having to win pretty soon. If you care about winning with this deck you need to do it soon. Wretched Anurid doesn't do that much damage to you in the early game your opponent can only drop a creature a turn sometimes two. I'm not discounting Dark Confidant, but I found that against both Goblins and Gro he hardly counts as a threat. He basically can never attack, and if he does survive for several turns then yes I've generated card advantage, but can this deck actually win several turns after a turn 2 confidant. That means a real threat hasn't been played until turn 3 (without Dark Ritual).

As for Chrome Mox, how would fit it in? What would cut? Lands, seem like a good choice, but that means that often you have to give up a business spell for the acceleration. I'm not sure if that sacrifice is worth it.

May 2006
    Caput Mundi

[Deck] Suicide Black - reconsideration

Forewords
    Ok, i admit this deck has been criticized endless times (and eventually discarded as a good contender), but i really believe it has potential.
    Heck, Pikula played something similiar and now everybody loves homebrew, why is that no one considered again "good-old suicide"?

I know this archetype is older than my magic experience (and i regret a little posting it, since i really believe Legacy needs some more archetype innovation), and this particular deck has very few novelties, but i feel it includes some considerations others of his kind were missing...

Last: this decklist is about more than a year old, still i evaluated changes after the release of the newer sets and the evolving of the metagame. Unfotunately my playtesting result are old and few, since legacy isn't played in my area.

Decklist
    // Lands
    4 Mishra's Factory
    3 Wasteland
    10 Swamp
    1 Volrath's Stronghold

// Acceleration
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Dark Ritual

// Creatures
    4 Hypnotic Specter
    2 Withered Wretch

// Spells
    3 Rancid Earth
    4 Sinkhole
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Duress
    2 Chainer's Edict
    2 Engineered Plague
    4 Contagion
    2 Consume Spirit
    3 Infernal Contract

// Sideboard
    SB: 2 Diabolic Edict
    SB: 2 Withered Wretch
    SB: 2 Engineered Plague
    SB: 4 Chalice of the Void
    SB: 4 Nevinyrral's Disk
    SB: 1 Tormod's Crypt

as you can notice the deck is really suicidal, and not just a black stompy, it counts on a heavy disruption package early game (even at the cost of card disadvantage/heavy life loss) to impede the opponent's game.

Card Analisys
    4 Mishra's Factory
    even tought it can hurt the mana base it's really a "must 4-ofs" in a fast aggro format, useful as a "fat" blocker or a beater.
    3 Wasteland
    in a format of tight mana bases where every land drop counts and full of non-basics who wouldn't want it? 3-ofs because of the complementary spells.
    10 Swamp
    well, the card is self explanatory , the number should be correct.
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    in the awful case we go in the long game, always useful.
    4 Chrome Mox
    we need much acceleration, even if it means card disadvantage, and the mox has staying power. We need 4 to get it early, unfortunately it's terrible later on.
    4 Dark Ritual
    what does make the deck good? Dark Ritual speed has a part in it...
    4 Hypnotic Specter
    someone underrate this, but a decent cover he's really good. Just don't power him out in the first turn, unless you know what you'r doing!
    2 Withered Wretch
    2/2 for BB... not really that awesome, still he has a really good ability...
    that's why only 2-ofs.

3 Rancid Earth
    land destruction at 3cc isn't good, expecially in mid-game? Try this, expecially with an EPlague on board. 3 looked like the right amount.
    4 Sinkhole
    coupled with Wasteland, supplemented with Rancid Earth, maybe it'll teach other decks to cheat less on their mana bases...
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    Misdirection is it's only weak spot, otherwise it's goood, can even hit land drops! Graveyard based decks will thank you, that's why whe have Wretches and the sb.
    4 Duress
    a "must 4-ofs".
    2 Chainer's Edict
    untargeted creature kill, sorcery speed, but reusable in the dreaded long game.
    2 Engineered Plague
    really underrated! It's not needed in multiples to be effective nor it's useful only against goblins. Makes opposing creatures smaller and has a good sinergy with Rancid Earth and Contagion.
    4 Contagion
    not really card disadvantage since it's usually a 2-for-2 tradeoff. Instant creature removal... it's good, what else can i say? Only pity is the black card has to be rfg and thus doesn't help Rancid Earth.
    2 Consume Spirit
    direct damage and only source of life gain. Useless in the start (that's why i'm not running a full set), but you'll really want one later, trust me.
    3 Infernal Contract
    before flaming read the card! It gives you 4 cards, NOW! at the cost of 10 life (if you are still at 20), an average of 2.5 life/card. The only mean to drop an hell of disruption at your opponent, refill your hand and start again. Only problem is the BBB cc, which can be difficult at times.

// Sideboard
    SB: 2 Diabolic Edict
    i don't really recall why i packed these.
    SB: 2 Withered Wretch
    when graveyard hate isn't enought.
    SB: 2 Engineered Plague
    usually for goblins. Or any other silly tribal deck.
    SB: 4 Chalice of the Void
    play it wisely, and will wreck the opponent leaving you nearly unscathed.
    SB: 4 Nevinyrral's Disk
    sometimes i found i wanted a reset button, expecially since i can't touch artifacts or enchantments on board.
    SB: 1 Tormod's Crypt
    maybe gy hate is never enought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix View Post
    This article isn't free! ITS TAXING MY BRAIN CELLS!
    “My power is as vast as the plains, my strength is that of mountains. Each wave that crashes upon the shore thunders like blood in my veins.” —Memoirs

Banned
    Sep 2004
    fairfax VA

Re: [Deck] Suicide Black - reconsideration

There are no real win conditions you can really depend on 4 hippies and wretches. Factories are to vulnerable to wasteland. Why do you have acceleration if there are no creatures to drop with it?

May 2006
    Caput Mundi

@ calosso:
    The acceleration is to power out such disruption the opponent can't recover.
    If anyones wastes my factories it means they have even more lands now.
    Unfortunately a faster kill condition is really what is missing, still hippies, wretches and factories (and maybe consume spirits) are pretty good at killing, even if really slow.
    Last edited by 3eowulf; 05-17-2006 at 09:08 AM.
    “My power is as vast as the plains, my strength is that of mountains. Each wave that crashes upon the shore thunders like blood in my veins.” —Memoirs

May 2006
    Caput Mundi

Various Cards Choiches

Fetchlands
    they were left out since i feeled the land ratio was good enought without any thinnig.

Cabal Therapy
    how many times it's better then Duress if i ain't got creatures to sacrifice to flashback it? NONE.

Nantuko Shade
    while it sure wuold help the late game, early on it's totally useless: with no mana to spare on this it's a 2/1 (so no blocking) without evasion (no attacking) and no usefull abilities.

Dark Confidant
    welcome, mr. Overrated! It's only advantages are the casting cost, and the "add to your hand (instead of drawing)" that could couple with Chains of Mephistopheles. Being a creature (a 2/1 ever more!) and losing you variable life means in this format it's plain worst than Phyrexian Arena. Plus as does Phyrexian Arena, it brings extra cards too slowly for my likings.

Phyrexian Negator
    while i really miss a fast finisher, he really isn't going to get it given the format.

Banned
    Sep 2004
    fairfax VA

Quote Originally Posted by 3eowulf
    Various Cards Choiches

Fetchlands
    they were left out since i feeled the land ratio was good enought without any thinnig.

Cabal Therapy
    how many times it's better then Duress if i ain't got creatures to sacrifice to flashback it? NONE.

Nantuko Shade
    while it sure wuold help the late game, early on it's totally useless: with no mana to spare on this it's a 2/1 (so no blocking) without evasion (no attacking) and no usefull abilities.

Dark Confidant
    welcome, mr. Overrated! It's only advantages are the casting cost, and the "add to your hand (instead of drawing)" that could couple with Chains of Mephistopheles. Being a creature (a 2/1 ever more!) and losing you variable life means in this format it's plain worst than Phyrexian Arena. Plus as does Phyrexian Arena, it brings extra cards too slowly for my likings.

Phyrexian Negator
    while i really miss a fast finisher, he really isn't going to get it given the format.

I play goblins in almost every major tournament I go to. If you drop first turn negator on a goblin player it is very hard to fight back unless I have 2 fanatics in my opening hand. Nantuko Shade would be better in you deck since you run chrome mox(which suck BTW) and dark ritual.

May 2006
    Caput Mundi

I really miss the point in which a first turn negator is ever good vs. any deck with cheap creatures...

And shade isn't good if i'm spending my mana to disrupt you. I have no mana to sink into her.

Thread Information